Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Smoke from rear wheel-arch

TobesEtc

Mexico City
Took the car for a drive today - about 30 mins. When I got out there was smoke coming from the rear left wheel-arch. When I opened the engine cover a little seemed to come up through the engine bay, but mainly seemed to be coming out of the wheel area. Not a huge amount, but enough to notice.

Phoned my local indie, they reckon that some cover/gasket is bleeding and letting oil drip onto the exhaust. No oil visible under car or on road.

It didn't seem to be doing it when I drove home. Could something have splashed up and burnt off? It's going in for a check-up, so we'll find out next week.

Just remembered I filmed it on my cam...and though the video isn't very useful it did make me laugh. Apologies for the language!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9o3d2g9lamd30i/VIDEO0042.mp4?dl=0

I'm off to Amsterdam on Sunday...there's a joke in there, somewhere ;-)

Rocker cover gasket.

Very common. £150 for an Indy to fix.

Mine had that when I bought the car and when I sold it.

Tiny drip from the case cover, same place as yours, only really showed when stood for a while and gathered in a 2p size drop on the exhaust, then burnt off with the same symptoms.

Used day in day out I would never have know about it, used no oil, did a couple of 2000 mile euro trips, remained the same, in fact nothing at all to see.

No doubt an OPC would have suggested engine out 15,000 miles ago.
:)

If it is the rocker cover gaskets (which is likely). Happened to mine. It's a DIY. Parts are £11 or so IIRC. Main issue is getting the existing bolts out if corroded. Some people will try to persuade you to get new or upgraded rocker covers but unless they are warped, don't bother.

I'm greatly relieved everyone seems to think it's common and minor!

having the same issue on and off, right rear wheel arch, has been diagnosed as lower rocker covers weeping, on a list of small jobs to do as and when its convenient

Just had mine done last week.

Chris from Exel Wheels gave me some great advice when I purchased the 993 "only replace what *needs replacing".

:thumbs:

Is the consensus to leave it until it's going in for something else?

Nah, get it done. Smoke clouds can be big, and embarrassing.

Tobesetc said:
Is the consensus to leave it until it's going in for something else?

Did the lower offside one a couple of months back. One minute it wasn't leaking, next I had smoke coming out the rear offside wheel arch. I'm a bit OCD about these things so got it sorted out ASAP, though it was a minimal amount of oil I was losing.

I was lucky because I managed to get all the old bolts out, It was a sod of a job, Id hate to think how much hassle if the bolts hadn't of done. Took me around 6 hours. Whatever you read, take the tailpipe and silencer off and have a large bucket ready for the oil that comes out, I lost around three litres.

I replaced the seal, the cover and the bolts. Total outlay around £100.00 plus my time.

It was tough, but I felt good for doing it myself.

I've also had smoke at the rear from a leaking rocket cover gasket. Looked scary. I was afraid it might burst into flames. I got it done.

david993 said:
I was afraid it might burst into flames. I got it done.

Same here, both sides with new bolts, covers and gaskets.

stevewak said:

Steve - congratulations on your outstanding taste in choice of car and interior colours!

stevewak said:
david993 said:
I was afraid it might burst into flames. I got it done.

:grin:
On my white Turbo Esprit there was a tiny drip from a gasket on the end of the cams, it dripped straight onto the exhaust manifold about 1" from the Turbo. When it happened, just a ladybird sized drop that could only fizzle and burn off in seconds, the smoke from the engine bay vent looked like the car was on fire.

Amazing what a tiny bit of oil looks like on something really hot.
:eek:

david993 said:
stevewak said:

Steve - congratulations on your outstanding taste in choice of car and interior colours!

Wow, thanks! I always say you don't often see Slate. Parked up next to one at Hedingham last year, though, just after I had said "You don't often see Slate..."

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back