Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996TT Tip S Diff noise

Pickse

Nurburgring
As described by Scottie
scottie530 said:
When moving off from stand still I get a loud metallic pinking noise from under the car, which sounds like metal stressing (can't think of any other way to describe it) once on the move I don't hear it again until I slow down under breaking. I then get it again when I accelerate. The car drives fine and I thought it would be an exhaust mount or similar.
Only mine is a Turbo but I guess the 4WD Tip setup is the same.
I took the car into OPC Guildford as is was due a major and asked them to investigate the metallic click.
They say it is internal to the rear diff.
A replacement is £4k so I'm hoping someone may know of a less expensive fix?
Any good gearbox guys in the south?

TIA

All stock as far as I know.

996TTathomec_zps955be6d1.jpg

I did find some play in the NSR track control arm but the OPC noted it as 'slight' and not a cause for concern yet.

The clicks/clanks occur as I apply power to pull away.
There can be one, two or three depending on how much power (or maybe torque) is applied. I generally get just one as soon as I touch the brakes.

I'm kinda scared to drive it now :nooo:

I would try changing the oil if it was mine, i had a similar experience with an R34 Skyline a few years ago, made a right old racket but after an oil change it was fine... :dont know:

Scratch that, are you 100% sure it's the diff? If you are getting a clunk when you pull away but otherwise it's quite it could just be a worn bush or something lose.

Trying hard because to laugh here...the diff in rear is part of the tiptronic box - there is no available part anywhere on the pets system - it does not exist so would love to know what 4 grand part they are referring too.
Front diff does exist and is that price.
Since we know tip boxes better than most since we upgrade them for high up in the turbos would be more than happy to take a look.
Have a car in from there at the moment with what was supposedly a new tip box - was a £1700 fix.
I have only ever seen one diff go on the tip box and that was running 800 plus up

Ken

Thanks Sluuters, I did get RPM to change the Tip oil a few months back and before any noises where heard. I just felt 10 years and 70000 miles of a Turbo leaning on the gearbox was probably enough without an oil change.

A check with the OPC technician reveals the service manager told me wrong :what: it is the front diff he thinks the noise eminates from.
All I know is the noise appears to come from under the rear seats.

Anyway I've spoken with Ken at 9E and we'll get the car down there in a week or so for a look see.

I'll let you all know what we find.

No news yet. Booked in at 9E next Thursday morning.
Will advise.

Went to see 9E this morning and some good news at least is we don't think it is not either of the diffs causing the noise.
It's not clear exactly what it is at this point. Certainly a flex coupling I think towards the front diff, is showing signs of age so the car will go back in a couple of weeks for a new coupling and some further investigation.
I'll also be getting new RSS engine mounts as Ken confirmed what I expected in that mine are past their best.

An odd postscript is that after jacking up and inspection by Ken and his guys the noise disappeared. It was thought maybe a spring had not been seated properly following a previous jacking/service. The noise stayed disappeared until the level crossing in Redhill when I thought I heard a faint click from behind me.
Sure enough a mile or so later I had the distinctive click from what sounded like the offside rear.
The really odd part of this postscript is that previously I'd have sworn the noise was mostly from the NSR :?:
Back to 9E in a couple of weeks and we'll see.

Any news? I'm getting the exact same symptoms from mine. Started as a 'metallic groan' when pulling away and then disappears. Sometimes when I pull up.......... It too had new transmission fluid about 1500 miles before this started happening. :dont know:

Took it to my Indy who had me drive it until he heard the noise. He suspected the propshaft so we had it up on the ramp, the under tray off, someone in the car while hoisted trying to replicate it, checking play in the suspension as well just in case and.........nothing. All parts seem okay and it hasn't happened on the ramp. But when I drove it away it had gone and then after a few stop / starts it started again.

Head scratching all round........ :?:

Collected my car from 9E this afternoon, all fixed :thumb:

The first thing Ken changed was the engine mounts for new RSS ones.
This did not affect the noise and after a couple of sessions of trying to identify the cause they swapped out the propshaft (with flex coupling) and gearbox mount.
This has fixed the problem.
Talking with Ken both the mount and coupling were on their way out. We discussed the possibility that the worn gearbox mount, possibly the old engine mounts also contributing, allowed more movement than design allowed for and put strain on the flex coupling and it was movement here that caused the noise.

So thanks Ken. I really appreciate your efforts in finding the cause.
I'll be back to see you when I need more power.

The more you describe it the more it sounds like mine....... :?:

It's currently at my Indy so hopefully I'll be able to compare my solution with yours! :grin:

Hopefully.......! :?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back