Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Classic Porsche prices increase best over 1 & 10 years

Porsche News

The Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7 was the best car to invest in over the last decade, says new research from the Discovery Channel.

Marking the 100th car to feature on the digital TV channel's Wheeler Dealers show, in an episode that appears tonight, the Wheeler Dealers team picked out 20 of the best-known and most sought-after classic cars.

And, in 2004, the wisest owls of all would have put their money into the old Porsche, which has seen a stratospheric increase in prices from £65,000 to £500,000 - a 669% explosion.

The Aston Martin DB5 and DB6, famously associated with James Bond, were second and third on the list, having seen 500% and 478% increases respectively and leaving their canny owners laughing all the way to the bank.

Other wise automotive investments were genuine AC Cobras, which have increased from £150,000 to £650,000 on the open market, while Ferrari, Lotus and Jaguar all had cars in the top 10.

The biggest surprise was the Land Rover Series I, the original that spawned a breed that continues to this day - although emissions regulations are set to kill off the Defender for good. Series I owners have seen prices go from £6,000 in 2004 to £20,000 now, making it the best mass-produced investment in the study.

Only one of the 20 classic cars lost value over the decade. The Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow fell from £12,000 to £8,000.

Wheeler Dealers sees presenters Mike Brewer and Edd China buy classic cars at the right price, fix them up on a budget and sell them on for a profit. Classic car expert Dave Selby helped Discovery to compile the figures.

A Discovery Channel spokesperson said: "From the much coveted Aston Martin DB5 to the humble Fiat 500, classic car owners across the UK are sitting on a small fortune, thanks to the boom in the vintage car market over the last decade."

Source, Discovery TV

Attachments

• 27rsvalue_104.jpg
    27rsvalue_104.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 8,982
I'd argue that the 2.4S has euqualled or out performed the RS based on those figures

rs : £65K - £500K = 669%

2.4S : £18K - £150K = 730%

I'd argue that the 2.4S has out performed the RS based on those figures

You could also argue that it sounds better too!

:D

& if anyone wants one , mine is locked in the garage staring at the wall in disgrace after it decide to throw a hissy fit over its MFI tune :pc:

Well, according to this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/

Buying a classic car has long been viewed as a viable alternative to the bank as a means of increasing your savings. Unlike at the bank, there are no handy leaflets to tell you which products will give the best returns. But the basic principles of any investment remain true: the more research and money you put in, the greater the return you're likely to see.

Television show Wheeler Dealers recently revealed the best classic car investments of the past decade. Top was the Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 RS, which has gone up from £65,000 in 2004 to £450,000 now, a walloping 669 per cent rise. It's a perfect example of needing a spare £65,000 hanging around to take advantage of pretty specific knowledge. It's a similar story with the second car in the list, the Aston Martin DB5. And the third, the DB6.

In May this year, respected investment house PHD Equity Partners revealed its Classic Car Fund, designed to capitalise on appreciating metal. It's no accident PHD is focusing on £300,000-£450,000 cars. But then its clients are the fabled 'high net worth individuals".

So where does that leave normal people? Is it worth us investing in the classic car market? According to John Vine, who runs the Classic Car Inspector, a service that advises potential purchasers on their prospective investment, the market has 'gone wild". He explained: 'It's not just the state of the gold market and the very low interest rates that are making people look at other things to invest in. There is also the housing market – particularly in the north. The result is we've been incredibly busy."

The Historic Automobile Group International (HAGI), an independent investment research house, says the values of 'exceptional historic" cars have gone up by 12.12 per cent so far this year. Compared with the end of 2008, HAGI claims values have gone up by 163 per cent. Its research says that Porsches have shot up 24.15 per cent over the past year, more than Ferraris which have appreciated by 'just" 9.71 per cent. Even Mercedes cars have appreciated by 5.6 per cent in 2014 – a greater return than you'll get from most ISAs. And what tends to happen in the classic market is that values of lower priced models are dragged up by the cars going for big money.

The important thing is to be able to distinguish between an old car and a classic. 'There are no short cuts. You need to know what you're doing," Vine said. 'I know one guy who will buy a Jaguar E-type Series I for £85,000 and sell it on for £135,000."

The cars Vine mentions as worth looking out for are the Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow I, available for £2,000 upwards, and the E-type Series I, which now sells for £50,000 plus. Back to the Wheeler Dealers list, then, and at number five there's the Aston Martin V8, which in 2004 would have set you back £19,000, but is now worth £75,000. It's followed by the Land Rover Series I, which would have cost £6,000, but is now going for around £20,000. After the E-type, next up is the Lotus Elan, which would have cost £18,000 and is now worth more than twice that.

Laurie Moore from restorer Southern Classics said his business was 'bursting at the seams" last Christmas when they would normally expect it to be quiet. There seems to be no end to the ascent of classic Aston and E-type prices, he said, citing a recently restored DB5 that went for £1"‰million. 'If you haven't got that sort of money, think about a MkII Jaguar or the less common S-type," he added.

'The thing is, the classic car market is becoming more 'normal'," said PHD's Keith Benson. 'The attraction is there is a fixed supply."
For investors, it's even better than that. Numbers of older classics are diminishing. As well as natural wastage, they're becoming sought after in China. That means fewer cars here, so with demand staying level or increasing, prices continue to rise.

But we're not talking about any ordinary investment. If you're running the car, it's a bit like having a child: it'll always have its hand in your pocket. Then again, when was the last time you took your ISA out for a spin and came back with a grin the size of the Channel Tunnel? More pragmatically, unlike other investments, if you put your money into classic cars – even if it's into a fund such as PHD's – you won't be liable for capital gains tax on any profit. At the moment, HMRC views cars as depreciating assets. At the moment...

I understand the prices of most things have always gone up (inflation etc).

The diffence is most things also depreciate once you have bought them.

Nice things you can't buy any more are the exceptions (and thus defined by a static to declining supply and a rising demand).

Until there is less surplus demand with lower buying power (or Classic Porsche etc suddenly stops looking and driving better than the unbounded supply of modern toss), then there is only one way for prices.

GT4 said:

Nice things you can't buy any more are the exceptions (and thus defined by a static to declining supply and a rising demand).

Until there is less surplus demand with lower buying power (or Classic Porsche etc suddenly stops looking and driving better than the unbounded supply of modern toss), then there is only one way for prices.

Maybe. It might just be simple supply side economics. :?:

It might also be fuelled by panicking sinking of funds in a rising asset class. I've a friend who restores and trades high end classics and 911's make her nervous as she's sure they're overpriced. But while there are buyers she'll make hay. :grin:

We'll not know until the future comes :dont know:

Either way enjoy the Porsche, you have there are many people that would love to have our cars I bet?

I never thought about my choice, going up or down in value when I bought it.

'EVERY MILE IS A SMILE'

SEE YA said:
'EVERY MILE IS A SMILE'

I concur. It makes for a very different dynamic when the cars value as an asset starts to take over. Get out on the road as often as you can as you're longer in a casket than out of it, would be my motto :thumb:

Zingari!!! :eek:

New996buyer said:
GT4 said:

Maybe. It might just be simple supply side economics. :?:

It might also be fuelled by panicking sinking of funds in a rising asset class. I've a friend who restores and trades high end classics and 911's make her nervous as she's sure they're overpriced. But while there are buyers she'll make hay. :grin:

We'll not know until the future comes :dont know:

But are people actually investing in a classic Porsche, or do they want a Porsche and then buy a classic one? (for all the fundamental reasons there is a massive demand for them, eg analogue involvement, pretty looks, reliability, charm, etc etc and the derivative reasons of low to negative depreciation).

I know there are funds that buy up genuinely unique "works" and store them (like any extremely rare "things"), but that is marginal if at all for the 911 market.

I am guessing 993 GT2s (for example) are just going to very wealthy fans of the marque (say, in countries that never had them or had very very few when they were current), or people keen to show how much money they can spend, but either way, not "investors".

GT4, I agree that's the right question to ask - Why are people buying up 911's / 356's et al?

But it's not about that for the 911 market, for there are many markets. That question needs asked of them all. Done in a syatematic and rational way that could reveal the signal through the noise.

Other than that it's guess work.

My guess is time will tell. I'll leave the absolutes for others :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back