Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear number plate LED & replacement headlight bulbs

Nick_MSM

With the nights drawing in :evil: I want to upgrade my rear number plate bulbs to match my Dectane rear lights. What do people recommend please? I see there's literally loads of choice! Are there any fairly inexpensive bulbs available that don't bring an error messages?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-36mm-3...arts_SM&fits=Plat_Gen:997&hash=item4170a64e9a

Would these be completely rubbish as they seem very cheap?

Secondly as I have the Dectane front indicator/drl lights, I would like to upgrade my headlight bulbs to colour match. Would a 6000k bulb do the job? The standard bulb is too yellow/dim at present.

Cheers and thanks for any help
:thumbs:

Lots of people report huge success, but I bought ones recommended on here without success. The number plate lights would not last long and the side lights produced error messages. finished up trying other types with same result so had to resort back to normal. Guess my car did not like them!

Hi Nick,

I have gone through two sets on my car bought from Fleabay.

I am now at a point where the rear light control unit is not putting out any feed to the number plate bulbs as it does not detect a resistance.

Going to put my stock ones back in.

However, I seem to be a minority on here in terms of having problems with bulbs.

I was thinking about exactly the same things today Nick, for the same reasons. Those ebay number plate bulbs look worth a punt, I assume they can't harm anything?

Would be interested if anybody has a view on the headlights too.

Been down this road with replacement l.e.d bulbs for the registration lights I got some Philips bulbs thinking this might be a better option than the cheaper ones when I put them in only one side would work strange and whatever you did changing them round both bulbs would not come on so got some complete l.e.d lights from the porsche shop good quality complete new lights with built in resistors nice and bright been good so far

Just an update for anyone interested, the rear LED plate bulbs in my opening post work fine so far - no error codes.

Thanks, I've ordered some, for that price well worth it (if they keep working) :thumb:

thanks for pioneering with these

ive ordered a set 2

you should get commission here :D

MJA997 said:
Thanks, I've ordered some, for that price well worth it (if they keep working) :thumb:

That's what I thought. Think about ordering some others for the interior now too.

RE: Headlight bulbs - i too prefer the "cool white" look - my flat is a testament to this (all bulbs are LED).

The problem is generally, the higher the bulb temp, the lower the output.

I too considered the Phillips 6000K bulbs, thinking they would be better, however after reading online, most people say they are too dim for practical use.

However, Osram Cool Blue Intense claim to have a 5500K temperature, with no drop in output. See review here:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?36407-New-Osram-D2S-Bulb-Xenarc-Cool-Blue-Intense

Some good deals on eBay too (assuming they are not fake)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281280470663?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I keep meaning to buy a set, i'll likely buy some in the next month or so when i get round to it, if i do i'll be sure to post the results here.

Nick_MSM said:
I've bought the rear plate bulbs on my eBay link, they should be here Monday/Tuesday so I'll report back.

RE headlight bulbs, these look good although I didn't realise they were so expensive. Anyone have any experience?

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/Philips-UltraBlue-D2S-Bulb-6000K.html

Ill check tomorrow but I am sure these are the bulbs I bought last year and they are great. Nice colour and a huge improvement over stock.

We need to be wary to discriminate between quantity of light and quality of light. (ie. the so-called 100% more light from a very blue bulb, versus 50% more from a wider spectrum bulb)

I seem to recall that the human eye is most sensitive to light at about 4000K, as it needs to receive excitation of the R, G, and B 'cones' on the retina.

During intense daylight, although you might perceive it as the 'best' light, the eye reduces the aperture to restrict the input.

Also, the eye's 'blue' sensitive cones are not located centrally on the retina, and so the eye has to work harder to gather more light of that wavelength.

So, unfortunately for us, a slightly yellower temp than fashionable is actually better as it stimulates all three colour cones.

markz86 said:
RE: Headlight bulbs - i too prefer the "cool white" look - my flat is a testament to this (all bulbs are LED).

The problem is generally, the higher the bulb temp, the lower the output.

I too considered the Phillips 6000K bulbs, thinking they would be better, however after reading online, most people say they are too dim for practical use.

However, Osram Cool Blue Intense claim to have a 5500K temperature, with no drop in output. See review here:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?36407-New-Osram-D2S-Bulb-Xenarc-Cool-Blue-Intense

Some good deals on eBay too (assuming they are not fake)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281280470663?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I keep meaning to buy a set, i'll likely buy some in the next month or so when i get round to it, if i do i'll be sure to post the results here.

That's great thanks. Would be really keen to hear your thoughts if you go for the Osrams :thumb: After driving my Mercedes at night it really highlights how poor the lights are on my 911.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back