Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What (additional) car to compliment the 996TT?

charandhindsa

Silverstone
Hi all,

Just for context: currently have a daily run-around (audi A2) and a summer cruiser (Mercedes C124) & a project (Mk1 golf).....but am considering another car...

Thoughts as follows:
Porsche Cayenne (07 onwards - facelift) - never had a 4x4
E92 M3 - the thought of a 4.0 / v8 m3 might be fun given my love of all most previous variants

No specific requirements....a bit random i know, but the lure of a naturally aspirated 4.0 V8 of the e92 M3 is appealing right now.

Any other ideas at the 20K mark?

Or even in replacement of the 996tt +20K...;)

If you want something just for a bit of fun and a blast around I would seriously have a go in an E46 M3. You won't have to spend anywhere near the £20k you have and you will have a car with a great chassis, one of the best NA engines ever put in to a production car (over 100hp/l and 8000rpm, smooth as silk), and a car which is fast enough to be fun without being nuts. I have looked at going for an E92, but from what I have read the car is faster but is less involving. I'm not looking for speed in this car, I want to feel involved.

I wouldn't bother with a 4x4 unless you need one. I have a Range Rover, it is used to carry large stuff and to tow the trailer, fun it ain't.

MC

I'm on my 3rd Cayenne, 2009 957 GTS, 2005 955 Turbo and last a 2009 957 Turbo. All are amazing cars and handle well. If you need the power go for the Turbo, but the GTS really is the best handling of the bunch.

An M3 with a good sport exhaust and induction kit is epic.
Fabulous cars , handling is awesome. "Cheap" to buy now.
C63AMG are nice too.

"If you want something just for a bit of fun and a blast around I would seriously have a go in an E46 M3 " - good call, although i've had a few of those :)

"All are amazing cars and handle well. If you need the power go for the Turbo, but the GTS really is the best handling of the bunch"

havent heard great things about the original Cayenne (955)...have been advised to look at 957 onwards....just from a technicians perspective...what kinda of MPG did you achieve in those cars you mention? Im not considering a diesel...

I had an E46 M3 after my first 996. The 996 was far more focused and actually more fun. Watch the SMG box, it only really works in "brutal" mode, and then it's fairly, well, brutal.

Great car though

Never had a V8 cayenne but I'd advise that you avoid the V6, at least the early ones. Underpowered and always changing up too soon in 'tip.

If it's an out and out toy - go for a Caterham - models range from fast to just plain bonkers. Plenty of used options on Caterham website.

charandhindsa said:
"All are amazing cars and handle well. If you need the power go for the Turbo, but the GTS really is the best handling of the bunch"

havent heard great things about the original Cayenne (955)...have been advised to look at 957 onwards....just from a technicians perspective...what kinda of MPG did you achieve in those cars you mention? Im not considering a diesel...

I had no real issues with the 955. Outside of routine servicing, changed fuel pumps and brake boost line but never had a breakdown in 2-1/2 years of a daily 170 mile commute. I still see the car every day and at 210,000 kms its still on the original cardan shaft and plastic coolant pipes. No blown turbos or scored bores and uses about 1 litre of oil every 4-5,000 kms (as it has always done.)

Fuel consumption below:

original.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back