Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tip Trouble??

Dull Witch

Trainee
Just had an odd experience. fortunately very close to home

Putzing along minding my own business is a built up area and suddenly I lost all power. Complete stall, no warning. All dash lights on as if the ignition is on.

Put it in park, started it up and it fired instantly but with my Tip light on.

200m later, complete stall, no warning. All dash lights on as if the ignition is on

Put it in park, started it up and it fired first time but with my Tip light on

Repeat twice more

The Tip light is "Emergency Driving Programme". Any obvious thoughts (beyond - take it to the garage!)

Might be worth checking the ATF level, mine was acting up about 5 years ago till I changed the ATF and filter, it's been perfect ever since. You have different symptoms to me but its worth checking the level as they can be forgotten about and neglected? You could also check/clean the micro switches at the base of the gear stick?

Ian

Thanks

Curiouser and curiouser. ZF fluid looks alright (just by the dipstick). I did a reboot (disconnected/reconnected the battery)

If I start/stop/start stop the engine it fires well and the Tip light goes out. It'll run for 15 seconds, then stop, with the Tip light coming on. Regardless of touching the gear. It's always about 15 seconds whatever the revs, gear, or whether the Tip light is on or off

I have an immobiliser and wonder if it's that simply shutting the car down completely but in it's current state, it can't be driven anywhere (in London!). However, the manual says... if it is lighting up, contact the OPC...

Could be the immobiliser can't think why the gearbox would cause the car to cut out?
Don't think you can check your tiptronic gearbox oil without checking under the car at the gearbox, there's a clear tube with marks so you can see the fluid level? No dipstick on mine?

Ian

Hi

I would check all the fuses. On my 993 my Tiptronic box showed a fault due to a badly seated fuse, and it wasn't the gearbox one. Interior lights as I recall.

Also there is no dipstick for the gearbox. Its a sight tube on the side and a real PIA it is too.

All the best

Berni

Thanks all - when i said "just by the dipstick" I meant the fluid sits in a little container, with ZF written on the yellow lid - which is just by the dipstick on the far right side of the engine bay. Container is clear but it's so dark behind it that seeing the level is tough!

Will do a fuse check.

Dull Witch said:
Thanks all - when i said "just by the dipstick" I meant the fluid sits in a little container, with ZF written on the yellow lid - which is just by the dipstick on the far right side of the engine bay. Container is clear but it's so dark behind it that seeing the level is tough!

Will do a fuse check.

That's the powers steering reservoir.

An Update

I have a new DME relay on the way. Will try that as I think it's electronic and may be immobiliser related but...

I always seem to have the same ~15 second window. So if I turn the car over after 14 seconds, it fires and stops. If I crank it after 16 seconds, nothing. Crank after 1 second I get 14 seconds of running before the stop

In letting it sit with the ignition ON but not cranking it, I noticed a click after 15 seconds. I traced it to the top of the throttle mechanism. It sounds like a valve closing...sssshtk somewhere around the ISV muffler/Idle speed control valve - most of what else is around that is electronic. There's also a slight click from down by the gearstick - around the "cancel"switch by the hazards.

The car won't do anything after the click. If running it stops, if stopped it sits.

I really don't want to get a trailer up to Jaz...

:D

Convinced myself it's the immobiliser.

I disengage the immobiliser and the light by the gearstick stops flashing while I start the engine

Regardless of what I then do with the ignition key/engine, it starts flashing again after the 15 seconds...

Chatting with myself here but it does seem to be the immobiliser!

I tracked down Hamilton and Palmer who designed/fitted the dealer immobilisers back in the day and talked it through with them. They think it's the immobiliser not disengaging properly - likely a loose fuse but if not that... (it wasn't). I described my immobiliser dongle and location and they said "yep, one of ours" (did the 993s too)

The only issue is, the guy who remembers how they work etc is semi-retired and works only on Wednesdays and Thursdays so I can do nothing with the car or get it to them before then! Ggrr

Immobiliser fixed by the people who built it originally! Cost me less than a new unit and the car is back running like a dream.

Bloody electronics :D

Let me know what area you are from buddy - if you are near Shropshire I can nip out with Durametric and check what the ECU is throwing up.

Thanks. Only time I've been to your neck of the woods was on a bike doing a LEJoG

Lovely country, but a waaaay from my normal neck of the woods.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back