Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MK 1 Golf GTI

madasasnake

Nurburgring
Hi,

I am looking for a for a bit of advice?

I have been looking for a Mk1 Golf GTI for a little while now and I have found one that looks like a reasonable prospect.

The difficulty is that I am not sufficiently mechanically minded to "inspect" the car myself and even if I was, I don't know the issues with them sufficiently well to be confident of doing so.

I know all of the renowned individuals or companies to whom I would turn for a pre-purchase Porsche inspection but I have no idea who the experts are for MK1 Golfs?

Any ideas or information would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Iconic beauties aren't they, good luck in your quest to find one.
Have you tried delving into the knowledge that will be on the VW forums?

Thanks Pzero.

They are iconic and very much of my generation, although I would never have got Insurance on one at the time!

I have been an inactive member of the MK1 Owners Club for a couple of years whilst searching for one, but I suspect most of the members are perfectly capable of making their own assessments re) a potential purchase.

I'll keep looking but with the rising prices, I am less tempted than ever to simply take an uneducated punt!

Where is it located?

If it turns out to be you inspecting it, look for rust around the scuttle, up the a-pillars, and (if a sunroof model) in the roof between front windscreen and the sunroof.

What happens is the sunroof drain-channels block, and it starts to rot all through the roof space/front screen aperture.

Other than that, the plastic wheelarch covers can hold onto mud, and basically the rear arches crumble away, inner and outer.

Apart from that (if there's been no accident damage to the paintwork), they are bomb-proof. Driver's seat bolster will have worn, showing the real mileage.

Suspension top-mounts go, but susp is easily replaceable...

Does any of this sound familiar?

Mechanical fuel-injection rarely goes wrong, but cold starting is handled with a fifth injector which can cause problems.

Full-beam warning light is yellow, not blue, and the 5-speed gearbox has a dashboard warning light come on when to change-up, except once you are in 5th.

I bought mine in 1995 and won't be selling it. A brilliant car in low-grip conditions, it's a true 'add lightness' car with telepathic handling = joy and yet more joy.

Mk2 16V is a MUCH better package, but I sold mine and kept the mk1

gti-3-s.JPG

madasasnake said:
Hi,

I am looking for a for a bit of advice?

I have been looking for a Mk1 Golf GTI for a little while now and I have found one that looks like a reasonable prospect.

The difficulty is that I am not sufficiently mechanically minded to "inspect" the car myself and even if I was, I don't know the issues with them sufficiently well to be confident of doing so.

I know all of the renowned individuals or companies to whom I would turn for a pre-purchase Porsche inspection but I have no idea who the experts are for MK1 Golfs?

Any ideas or information would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

The car that I was thinking of was in Yorkshire, although that now appears to have disappeared from the Car and Classic website and is not even showing as sold, which is strange?

I have seen another, which is restored as opposed to original but it appears to have been done by someone who knows what they are doing and are themselves a little bit OCD!

I will try and find a link to it and if I can I'll forward you a PM for your thoughts if I may OC?

Thanks again.

PS: I love yours OC, I've seen some of your photos in the past as well.

Have you decided what your looking for, early/late a campaign model 1.8/1.8?

I have had ooodles of mk1s, mk2, and sciroccos not to mention most other vws and there are definite weak spots on the mk1 series cars.

There are also a lot of good vehicles that thankfully don't make it to ebay and trade through the register/club gti etc.

Drop me a pm if you want.

... and they can rot in the bottom of the spare-wheel well, and look for rust underneath the washer-bottle (engine compartment front left)....

Apart from that... :grin:

...and the fuel-filler pipe rots away, from the petrol flap to the tank....

(easy to replace with a stainless-steel one which I did in 1995 which is why I forgot :wack: )

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back