Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Air vents below the headlights

Big Phil1

Silverstone
I have a gen 1 C2S and was talking to one of those guys we have all met....

"Oh yeah, I used to own a Porsche...have you had trouble with...etc. etc." :x

He said that the air vents in the front under the lights are prone to getting clogged up with leaves in the Autumn? He said this can cause problems with the air con and other things.

Is this right? Is it something to worry about??

Thanks

Phil

Yes, that is correct.

Is it something to worry about? Not really, but as there is no protection for the front intakes stones and debris is highly likely to damage a condenser. The coolers are protected by the condenser, but if you have an accumulation of debris it will corrode them.

Fit grilles. See this recent post or remove your front bumper liner and fit mesh behind. You should crack the bolts on the condensers and clean them while you are there. Maxie wrote a handy guide for removal here as part of the third Radiator install.

In the meantime, just get your hand in there and pull them out (or use a Hoover if dry).

Don't try to jet wash THROUGH, they just get more embedded, or worse, get pushed through the outer aircon condensers and then sit in the space between them and the coolant radiators, clogging up the air flow and corroding the matrices.

Big Phil, If you are built like you name suggests your hands might not fit through the slats to fish those pesky leaves out. I too have this problem and have found that the easiest solution is to us the garden leaf blower to chase them out. I do them at the same time as the garden as the leaves all accumulate at the same time of year! :thumb:

If you are handy Phil, go to Halfords, invest £25 on their grille mesh and DIY the job yourself. Bumper removal is easy and the rest you can make up as you go along.

:)

Thanks for all the replies :)

I will be attacking the front vents with my hoover this weekend!

I am going to get some Zunsport Grills as shown on this thread

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1003932#1003932

If anyone reading this hasn't considered getting these then look at the video that is in the thread. They are so easy to fit and with bulk discount we are trying to get, even a full set is very reasonable.

Phil 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back