Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

After 5 years it decides not to start up......

master964

Just had it MOT'd, the battery was bit low on charge as forgot to put it on the CTEK that week, so had to give it a jump on collection.

Charged it up all last night and then today does it fire up ....No.

Alarm activates and deactivates in good spirit

On ignition the ABS pump makes all the right noises

But then flip the key and there is clicking noise from the back likely to be coming from the starter motor..

I am thinking starter motor or am I missing something??

Help......

If it didn't start because you forgot to put it on your CTEK for one week that suggests to me either a battery drain issue or a dead battery. I would try to charge the battery then check the load with everything powered down using a multimeter. How old is your battery? If over 5 years I would put my money on that. With lead acid batteries once they have been completely flattened they are sometimes never the same again.

MC

The lights on the dashboard take next to no power, check the battery voltage before you turn the ignition on, with the ignition on, and with it in the cranking position.

MC

bad earth to the starter motor or the starter motor is knackered. Probably the battery as a first point of checking. Jump start might give it the extra boost in which case it is your battery :dont know:

Battery is pretty good...Bosch S4 around 2 years old...or I thought it was

It can't be the battery surely...windows work, wipers work, central locking, alarm....hey ho lets try a jump start..

Wife's Julie (Alfa Giulietta) is parked next to it...As I gave my decent jump leads to my brother so using the Poundland ones.....oooo a little turn....its got to be the battery.

So popped out my wifes battery...and yep it sounds sweeter than before...:floor:

Moral of the story use the car more regularly and stop leaving it in the garage.

Thanks Gents for the sound advice.....:) :)

Any recommendation on the new battery replacement which should be free!!

My Beamer spends 10 months of the year in storage with just a few starts in that time and no trickle charge. It's BMW battery gave up the ghost earlier in the year so replaced with a halfords Yuasa long life battery with 5 yr guarantee - I hoped for longer life as it promised 50000 starts as opposed to 20000 for the standard version which also only came with 3 years warranty (was only 20% cheaper than Yuasa).

Can't vouch for the long term durability of Yuasa yet as I only changed it 6 months ago but you can't go wrong with a meatier battery and long warranty if its going to spends long periods in the garage.

Fortunately on this occasion I have a 3 year warranty on the battery so will get a replacement free one and may even upgrade to the next model for a few quid more!!

Oh well drama over for today so reliability is back to a satisfactory level for a 20 year motor!!

Have a good week all!!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ilovecars
Back