Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brakes haveh no bite 996T , what do i need to do ?

Jonathon555

Suzuka
My 996T had new discs , pads fluid fitted 200 miles ago , they should be bedded in by now. They create plenty of dust but have no initial bite. Oem Pagid

They stop the car ok if you jump on them but the pedal just feels wooden and does not inspire confidence.

Do i need to get some better pads ?

Buy an Audi!

Seriously I have just taken my turbo to Germany and the brakes are fantastic but you really need to give the pedal a good shove!But at higher speed they begin to make sense..

On the other hand I get back in the Audi and just touch the pedal and it wants to throw me through the window.

kas750 said:
Buy an Audi!

Seriously I have just taken my turbo to Germany and the brakes are fantastic but you really need to give the pedal a good shove!But at higher speed they begin to make sense..

On the other hand I get back in the Audi and just touch the pedal and it wants to throw me through the window.

Last time brakes felt this wooden was when i fitted ebc greenstuff to my GtiR by mistake. Worst pads ever

Any suggestions to improve initial bite ?

I've just fitted Performance Friction 01 compound and the bite is now much more like I'm accustomed to. The brakes were fine before, but did need a fair stab of the pedal. Now the brakes are bloody excellent and require much less pedal pressure to have an effect.

Re-check they are bleed fully. When i did a caliper and line change on mine i bleed them till no air bubbles came out. Then after 100 miles or so i re-checked due to the symptoms you describe and there was some more air bubbles! I guess some air could have got trapped in the calipers etc. Been fine since. :)

I agree with the feeling of the brakes. I changed to Ferodo 2400's they don't have the big counter weights on the back (or wear indicators for that matter). Bite is much improved and the pedal feel is a lot less wooden.

Are your discs shiny ?? If so theres a little procedure you can do to take the shine off and see how they feel then.

Jonathon555 said:
My 996T had new discs , pads fluid fitted 200 miles ago , they should be bedded in by now. They create plenty of dust but have no initial bite. Oem Pagid

They stop the car ok if you jump on them but the pedal just feels wooden and does not inspire confidence.

Do i need to get some better pads ?

OEM pads have a tendency of being 'normal' and lack that bite factor

better pads are available
http://911uk.com/template.php?page=55

a set of Pagid Street pads should do the job
http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt66_.../996--911--1997-05/PAGID-S-Street-Brake-Pads/

no need to go anymore extreme

JohnnyDangerous said:
Are your discs shiny ?? If so theres a little procedure you can do to take the shine off and see how they feel then.

Whats the procedure ?

Needs to be done with no traffic and a nice straight road

Get up to 70-80 mph and hit the brakes as hard as you can down to around 10-20 mph, do this around 10 times in quick succession then drive for 5-10 mins and DO NOT use the brakes this allows them to cool. Do the first step again 4-5 times and hopefully you are good to go.

This will take any glaze and pad material off of the discs.

JohnnyDangerous said:
Needs to be done with no traffic and a nice straight road

Get up to 70-80 mph and hit the brakes as hard as you can down to around 10-20 mph, do this around 10 times in quick succession then drive for 5-10 mins and DO NOT use the brakes this allows them to cool. Do the first step again 4-5 times and hopefully you are good to go.

This will take any glaze and pad material off of the discs.

Ok that sounds great :thumb:

eca02apc said:
I've just fitted Performance Friction 01 compound and the bite is now much more like I'm accustomed to.

They're race pads - I'm surprised you can tolerate the squealing!

PfC01 squeal a little bit when new but nothing after.
Braking power is mind blowing. Did use them before , downside is the dust them make , you have to clean the wheels on a regular basis otherwise the dust will stain the laquer.
I am running PFC 08 now , less dusty , good initial bite, more modulation.

surely then the problem is that they are race pads - need to be good and hot to work properly ........?????

Initial bite with Pagid RS29 is ok and really good when hot.
PFC compound is different they bite really well when cold and when hot they are amazing.
very hard to go back to oem when using them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back