Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

has the dream turned into a nightmare?

imp75

Spa-Francorchamps
I can't believe it: I have had my 128k miler c2 996.1 for just a month, it's just been serviced at Porsche Newcastle a fortnight ago and had few suspension components replaced along with a wheel bearing whilst they had it.

Have done two or three short runs (sub five miles) since but tonight when pulling away from my brothers house (having sat idling for a couple mins) I pulled away and noticed some fluid on the road. Went to the shop and left the engine running to replicate previous idle situation to smell what I thought was petrol, I took the car home, turned off the engine and had a nose underneath.... No problem.

Turned the engine on had my brother press the accelerator a couple times and fluid was pouring out! Immediately turned the car off. It seems to be that the leak is only apparent under presssure. I think it's oil not petrol from dabbling my finger in the stain left in the road.

The source of the leak is on the drivers side in the engine bay. It's too dark to see much tonight. I'm gutted but hoping for some guidance and direction of likely cause from those more knowledgeable than me on here. What is the likely cause and likely repair requirements?

Until you can determin the fluid , its hard to start.

Have you checked the oil level ?

Right hand side towards the rear of the engine? first thing i would check is the oil cooler. The seals can be replaced without dropping the engine.

It's definately oil having had a look this morning. Hopefully it is oil cooler seals as vinceb suggests - would this tally with having a loss when the engine is running?

you get much higher oil pressure when the engine is off idle, so you would expect more of a leak when revving the engine.

MC

Am I being naive in hoping it's perhaps a poorly fitted oil filter or would that be located somewhere else other than to the rear of the right side of the engine?

imp75 said:
Am I being naive in hoping it's perhaps a poorly fitted oil filter or would that be located somewhere else other than to the rear of the right side of the engine?

The oil filter is on the bottom right, drivers side, so could be that. It's easy to see and hangs down. Possible it could not have been torqued correctly.

Stuart said:
The oil filter is on the bottom right, drivers side, so could be that. It's easy to see and hangs down. Possible it could not have been torqued correctly.

Thanks Stuart I shall have a look this evening when I get home.

This should have a paper filter in a plastic holder as opposed to a tin spin on filter, the filter holder can go brittle and crack, about £20 from Porsche.

Thank you for the help so far gents. Had proper look today and I'm hoping it's something simple. From underneath the car, lying under the right hand side (driver side) looking up past the manifold, I could see there's a clip in sensor looking piece that seems to have failed. I'm inclined to think it's something to do with the fuel line but can not be certain. Despite thinking it was oil the other day, I now think it's petrol. The smell is much stronger than oil.
In summary the leak is on the driverside of the engine, it's not the oil filter (i have checked that and it's the correct part) its up past the manifold, up past the heat shield and I think it's one of the sensors (which one it is I'm hoping you can enlighten me) as it's strongest flow looks like it's from the part with the wire push clip.
All help appreciated, as I want to sound like I half k.ow what I'm talking about when I book it in for repair. I doubt I'd be able to reach the clip with my hands from underneath nevermind replace it!

Be careful with fuel leaks, one drop on hot exhaust and bye bye car !!!

15378704955_5018495b77_c.jpg
apologies for the poor picture but there's a good chance if you can work out what I'm showing you you can tell me what it is! if you look closely you can see the sensor on the far right of the pic is wet. To be honest I hadn't noticed there was another sensor to the left if it until I uploaded the photo....

You need to host the pic on photobucket and paste the link in here as that pics too small to see anything

just edited it JohnnyDangerous , yeah cant see anything at that size :pc: Just to add, since the leak it has become harder to start the car - at first I thought it may have been the starter motor on the way out, but thinking about it, it could well be another symptom of the same problem - and adding to the belief its a fuel leak. Feel free to tell me Im wrong as this is all guesswork due to me not being a mechanic!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back