Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Won't start...advise please

Ecky993

Nurburgring
Dear brethren

Not used much, can back from holiday and started fine having been on the cTek.

This weekend still connected, but no sign of life..

Tried the following:-

DME swap
Battery tested and showing good on the testers equipment showing 550 something's ?
Fuses checked.

All dash lights come on a normal but won't even make the click noise before you get to crank.

With all the above done I'm thinking it's immobilised ? If so can I disable that ? I only have one fob :x

Starter motor replaced within 2000 miles. Instrument lighting stopped working since my last use of the car too ?

Any advise is welcomed..

Steve

Tiptronic gearbox inhibitor switch :?:

Is the selector definitely in park or neutral?

Hi,

I had the same thing happen but after a long run out. Got back in the car after an hour and the lights came up the radio worked but when I turned the key... nothing. Demobilised the immobiliser still nothing. Turned out to be the battery, got a jump start from a mate and it fired up straight off. New battery and no probs since. I can tell you, in all my driving life I have never had a battery behave like that, on other cars I've had you would at least get a click from the solenoid but on my Porsche nada.

Hope you sort it, good luck.

ATB :)

Dead

Thanks for the Tip suggestion I will have a go at starting in N..

Just back from Halfords, yes not ideal. Tested battery are came up with a good reading and holding charge...

My thoughts are leaning towards immobiliser as it won't even try to crank, just nothing...

Dead

decgraham said:
Hi,

I had the same thing happen but after a long run out. Got back in the car after an hour and the lights came up the radio worked but when I turned the key... nothing. Demobilised the immobiliser still nothing. Turned out to be the battery, got a jump start from a mate and it fired up straight off. New battery and no probs since. I can tell you, in all my driving life I have never had a battery behave like that, on other cars I've had you would at least get a click from the solenoid but on my Porsche nada.

Hope you sort it, good luck.

Thanks

Exactly mate nada noises when turning the key to start at the final phase of the process.

Due to location of car, ( I drove into garage for change) I can't get jumps lead to reach from the Merc to try your option.

I will look for some longer leads, perhaps commercial ones would be longer.

So bloody annoying with the recent fortune spent on the car including wiring faults on the loom.

Is the starter location difficult to access, just thinking that a connection to it may be loose?

Steve

Hi,

Not that I have changed my starter motor but I have had it overhauled by my indy in Q8. I have been under the car myself, I do my own oil changes and minor work at my mates garage who luckily for me has a two post lift. While under the car I have seen the starter motor by the tip box and not too difficult to get to .... but that's with my car up in the air, not so easy on ramps or what ever means of lifting the car you use I would think.

Dead

So another day wasted on the damn car..think I have to consider the immobiliser now as everything else has been tried.

Took the battery from SWMBO's car and tried a jump as a last resort this was after having taken the Porsche battery out yesterday to be tested at the garage. They said the battery is good.

So with only one fob I think my next action is to call H&P for some advise.

The starter motor was replaced recently and the earth strap looks Ok from battery to body.

Still not a click or anything , am I right thinking the next cause could be the immobiliser?

Tiptronic in P or N makes no difference.

And to make things worse, the drivers seat won't move from rearmost position to access the removal bolts....arrgghhh

I'm sure if the immobiliser is engaged the engine will still crank but not start :?:

I think this is either an earthing/power issue to the starter or more likely connected to the auto box that does exactly what you describe when not in N/P.

How about disconnecting the battery for an hour and discharge the memory and then try it :dont know:

My immobiliser (h and p 1000) prevents cranking.

rogttr said:

Mine too. If you try to start the engine after the infuriating beeps have stopped you get nothing.

Ecky - does your immobiliser still beep a minute or so after you've unlocked the doors?

Dead

Zingari said:
I'm sure if the immobiliser is engaged the engine will still crank but not start :?:

I think this is either an earthing/power issue to the starter or more likely connected to the auto box that does exactly what you describe when not in N/P.

How about disconnecting the battery for an hour and discharge the memory and then try it :dont know:

Thanks Zingari, I did a battery off yesterday for over an hour whilst I had it checked..would that have had the effect you mention?

No crank at all, two weeks ago started fine, ran to temperature and then off and locked and cTek as normal.

I unusually drove into the garage so I could have the rear wheels off recently to clean etc. So the pulling out of the battery every time is a PITA.

Call to H&P tomorrow I guess..
Thanks again... :frustrated:

Dead

rottenbend said:
rogttr said:

Mine too. If you try to start the engine after the infuriating beeps have stopped you get nothing.

Ecky - does your immobiliser still beep a minute or so after you've unlocked the doors?

Yes I does, should it ??

Can't remember if it did that before ?? :?:

Like others have said, possibly your immobaliser. I inadvertantly cut through a cable which was the receiver ariel for my Cobra alarm and yes things lit up but not even a click from the starter!

........ had similar and I thought it was the immobiliser ...... but turned out it was an engine sensor ....... just a thought ....... :dont know:

Actually you are right. Thinking back if you do one think out of sequence with the H&P and immobiliser 'plug' you get lights but nothing else.

Are you getting the correct number of beeps to say the immobiliser is disengaged - is it 4?

I know when I cocked it up I had to sit in the car and do a full 'lock' followed by an unlock and then insert the plug before putting the key in the ignition

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back