Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone know who owns this "Rat Look" 911 or any ot

Tomodan

Wondering if any of you know this very ratty looking 911 or know of any similarly dishevelled examples hiding in the back of anyone's shed / barn!
I have a burning desire to build / own a 'Rat look" early 911 – the idea being find one which is cosmetically too far gone for it to be worth restoring but mechanically / structurally sound (ish) and 'Rat it out" – The key here is the car needs to be VERY cheap to start with........

This is the sort of thing I am on about:

911rat2.jpg

911rat1.jpg

If anyone knows who owns this one I would love to be put in touch as its perfect for my plans!
I have a vision of low, fat alloys, mechanically perfect and clearcoat the rust in place so it doesn't get worse.
I've currently got a 996 (bought from Chiark on here) its my daily driver (done 14K since Feb!) and I love it but fancy adding an older shabbier one as a weekend / fun car.
Am I mad or do cheap tatty examples still exist?

That looks horrific - I don't get the rat look at all......

If it's mechanically sound the example above will still be worth a lot of money. Probably twice what a 996 is worth...or more.

I have no idea why but I love that rat. Just made me smile. We can all get a bit too serious at times 8)

I don't know why anyone would want to have a car that looks like that?

I look at that and think... Oohhh a project... As it is :dont know:

Fox Terrier said:
I have no idea why but I love that rat. Just made me smile. We can all get a bit too serious at times 8)

My thoughts exactly! For me its all about the pleasure of owning a great car & the driving experience, I am pretty rubbish at keeping my cars clean though I do try harder with the 996 as it was very clean & tidy when I got it so I try to keep it half way respectable!

I love the whole "Sleeper" thing and the idea of a 911 which looks like it should be on a scrap heap to the un trained eye but has a heart of gold & can still lift its skirts and party when needed really appeals to the rebellious side of me 8)

I am very aware that this sounds like heresy to most 911 owners but that's just how I'm wired :dont know:

I think its cool.... kinda like owning a really nice car and never ever washing it.

3590579.jpg

I ran a rat-look low and loud 993 coupe for a year. Lots of shaking of heads and tutting from fellow motorists, especially Porsche drivers! Thumbs-up from teenagers who thought it was cool, and that'll do for me.

I very much doubt you'll find one for sale like in your picture. And if you do it'll be £30,000+. Maybe a rusty 912 from the US would be possible but even they are big money now. I spent 3 weeks recreating the look myself.

I fancy one of those Janis Joplin mural jobs next on my Targa, or maybe cover it in black velvet like Dracula's Panamera, who live's not far from me. That thing stops people dead in their tracks. Ha.

I think this is a Marmite issue.

For me I think it is beyond cool, it's super cool. I completely get the whole look, it would have to be a daily driver and underneath the tramps clothing it would be very good and tidy with the latest in sat nav, ipod connectivity etc. Becoming utterly not precious about it heightens the coolness knowing that it's still a 911. I don't know why but there's something very Steve McQueen about it.

By contrast I was at JZM today just before closing time, with Stroller of this parish, having a look at Russ's stock. We went to have a gander at the Aqua Blue 997.2 GT3.....just looking you understand....I hadn't been there for some months and it was like walking into a candy store, everywhere you turned your head there was something fabulous.

At the end of the day they are 911's and what's not to like.

orangecurry said:
SGM's 911s all look like that.

Some see this as humour, others may see it as accurate comment, either way it made me chuckle.

pzero said:
For me I think it is beyond cool, it's super cool. I completely get the whole look, it would have to be a daily driver and underneath the tramps clothing it would be very good and tidy with the latest in sat nav, ipod connectivity etc. Becoming utterly not precious about it heightens the coolness knowing that it's still a 911. I don't know why but there's something very Steve McQueen about it.

Right on, brother.

Wheels, tyres and interior must be box-fresh in my view, along with A1 mechanicals. You don't want to break down in a rat car, people will spit at you.

Funnily enough, much as I loved it, I really missed the cleaning and polishing. So one day the skin came off and the wax went back on. And it was just like everyone else's 993 again. I shall do it again one day... and take it to a PCGB meet. They'd love it. Not.

Mrs pzero has just barged her way into this conversation (so sorry about that) by putting forward the notion that if one was to be travelling/driving in such a car then when one alights it's essential that they are of immaculate appearance. She may have a point.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back