Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Handling up the front end?

JonGM13

Hi guys

Driving to and from Goodwood Revival yesterday with my son it was the first really long run in my 993 I purchased about 2 months ago.

The roads we took were particularly rough in places Winchester-Petersfield -Midhurst and we found the front end when motoring on a bit was particularly skittly when hitting pot holes, as we seem to have so many!, and on corners she would give quite a lot of front end jumping across!

I have had mainly MGs up to know and since my student beetle days this is a long awaited time back into a RWD rear engined car.

Checked today trying to do a bounce test and apart from being very stiff the suspension did not seem to lack the shock absorber effect!

So, am I being over critical and really it is our cr*p roads or could I do with a new pair of shocks? :?

Hi Jon ......

Ah the slippery slope begins ...... :)

One of the first things I did was refresh the suspension (new Bilstein HDs) kept the original springs and original factory ride height and had a Geo ...... it made a world of difference.

Many have been down this slope some with more success that others, Kim had a pretty torrid time but now is happy with his set up.

Also there are many factors to consider, ride height, rim size to name just two.

I am sure someone will be along shortly to give better and more knowledgeable advice.

The search function box might also be of help.

Good luck.

:)

JonGM13 said:
Hi guys

Driving to and from Goodwood Revival yesterday with my son it was the first really long run in my 993 I purchased about 2 months ago.

The roads we took were particularly rough in places Winchester-Petersfield -Midhurst and we found the front end when motoring on a bit was particularly skittly when hitting pot holes, as we seem to have so many!, and on corners she would give quite a lot of front end jumping across!

I have had mainly MGs up to know and since my student beetle days this is a long awaited time back into a RWD rear engined car.

Checked today trying to do a bounce test and apart from being very stiff the suspension did not seem to lack the shock absorber effect!

So, am I being over critical and really it is our cr*p roads or could I do with a new pair of shocks? :?

Might be worth checking the set up too, as in geo? My first 993 was truly horrendous, the guy I bought it off had driven it till the tyres were completely bald, this might seem mad and it was but it nearly fecked brand new tyres just driving it home as the settings were so far out. It too seemed very skittish front end. Chris at CG set it up properly and the difference was incredible to say the least. And if you do go the shocker way he's the man to fit and set up :thumbs:

In my experience I found the C2 light at the front end - but only at 3-figure speeds :whistle: I didn't like it but in fairness I was going at a fair lick. All other times on 17" rims with original suspension and MO33 springs it was very well behaved. 18" rims can throw up some strange behaviour if the car is not set up correctly.

Any tramlining/bangs over pot holes etc? Could indicate new shocks etc needed - which usually results in a £2k bill with top mounts/bushes etc. I'd get a geo done - try a Hunter system first as these are the cheapest then decide on new parts.

+1 and check the track rod ends in case the bonded shock absorbers have given up the ghost.

HTH

Unless your dampers were replaced recently, then you almost certainly need a new set. Porsche Munroes will cost an arm and a leg even without the labour charge, so as above, many are going for after-market suppliers. I'm currently on Koni FSDs which are a slightly more modern take on the stock units.

A set of KW V3s will certainly cure any skittish front end, but is really best suited to roads on the continent and track-days; public UK Tarmac shows up just how too stiff their stock springs are. Custom springs would probably sort it though (I'm told).

As others will / or have already advised:-

Be prepared for all the other things that can compromise a 993:-

Worn front lower A-arm bushes, worn rear bushes etc etc. it's can be rather a long list on a car that is on its original suspension parts...

Best of luck

Tim

PS Once sorted though, a 993 should feel very nice and predictable to drive.

When I first got mine it was skittish and tramlined badly. The front tyres were worn on the insides more than the outsides. Checking the history file showed that it had had a large negative camber corrected. Changed the tyres (thanks Chris W) and all was well. Still on original shocks (80k) and as far as I can tell they are OK, behaves predictably and the ride is nicely compliant :D What are your front tyres like?

Tyre pressures!

I run my front tyre pressures deliberately lower than the manual recommends as I find that works best.

The book recommends 36 front and 44 rear. I find that excessive and so do many others.

I recently had a go with putting 36 in the front and it was terrible... The front end felt like it was bouncing it's way along the road and worse than that was the fact that it felt like it just wanted to plough straight on under hard cornering, and indeed did on one roundabout...

I lowered it to 34 and it was noticeably better and more planted. I've also ran 32 previously with good results.

Note: My car is lowered with slightly stiffer springs and is fitted with Powerflex bushes all round, and also had 19" wheels. Your experience may vary!

Shocks

Thanks guys
Went underneath yesterday and found the front offside shock to be leaking oil.
So now to invest and new ones!

Re: Shocks

JonGM13 said:
Thanks guys

If it is the cause then this is greta news. ........ It would be awful if everything was ok and the problem couldnt be solved.

Right then

New FSDs £765.00
New M033a £456.00
New Top mounts front and back £460.00
Misc .. bellows etc £80.00
New front and rear drop links .. £460.00
New ARB bushes £40.00
Install and Geo £600.00

Jobs a good un.

Or from OPC
New Monroes with M033 £1500.00
Top mounts £460.00
Install of the above £350.00
New ARB bushes and droplinks front and back and install £610.00
Geo ... £200.

The above prices were from OPC Solihull
FYI The best Geo I have had to date was at OPC Tewkesbury. £200.00

If front wishbones are required. £180 plus VAT each recon from Hartech plus fitting.

Just done mine and to start hated it. Then OPC did a proper Geo on it, now I love it. Front wishbones next.

JonGM13 said:
Hi guys

Ah the mighty A272 through Hampshire and West Sussex! It used to be a fantastic road before the number of bikers increased and brought the plod along with them.

I feel your pain and disappointment, I had the same experience and decided to go the whole way with it:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=86355&highlight=

Re: Shocks

wozy said:
JonGM13 said:
Thanks guys

If it is the cause then this is greta news. ........ It would be awful if everything was ok and the problem couldnt be solved.

Right then

New FSDs £765.00
New M033a £456.00
New Top mounts front and back £460.00
Misc .. bellows etc £80.00
New front and rear drop links .. £460.00
New ARB bushes £40.00
Install and Geo £600.00

Jobs a good un.

Or from OPC
New Monroes with M033 £1500.00
Top mounts £460.00
Install of the above £350.00
New ARB bushes and droplinks front and back and install £610.00
Geo ... £200.

The above prices were from OPC Solihull
FYI The best Geo I have had to date was at OPC Tewkesbury. £200.00

If front wishbones are required. £180 plus VAT each recon from Hartech plus fitting.

Just done mine and to start hated it. Then OPC did a proper Geo on it, now I love it. Front wishbones next.

Probably about right for the first spend! Then add rear suspension arms and engine mounts, whose aged state is highlighted by sorting everything else...

It's all worth it in the end though 😃

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back