Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to integrate a 996 into a family with 20 month old twins

Benji1975

Monza
There are already the people at work that have passed judgement about the fact that we've gone and bought a 911 with two young kids. It's not a problem I say (not like I care what others think)...we have a 5 door Golf GTI and a 4 door Saab 95.
We also have a mint restored Mk1 MX5 and my 3 door Megane RS 225 which I bought as a track car (but is mint and shouldn't really be used as a track slag).

Getting the cars down to 3 it's obvious that we have the Golf/Saab as sensible daily drivers for us each and then the 911 as the 'toy'? (selling the megane and mx5)

Nah...far too easy. My missus won't drive my Saab as it's too big. AND she has declared we can never sell the MX5 as it's part of the family. So if she uses the Porsche that leaves me with her poxy mk4 Golf as my daily car. I'm buggered if I'm losing my luxury Saab AND my Megane. We need one car that the buggy goes in obviously so, sod it, we keep my Megane and get rid of the two most practical cars! (Golf and Saab)

So if anyone says you need an SUV to move two kids about...you don't once they get past the first 18 months. We are going to France ASAP in the 911 and will just book a 'baby friendly bolthole' where they supply the cots etc. As for weekends away, the megane is absolutely fine and now they are in forward facing seats and virtually clamber in themselves...it's not that bad at all. Slightly more agg yes, but I get to keep my track car :)

[/img]

Re: How to integrate a 996 into a family with 20 month old t

Benji1975 said:
There are already the people at work that have passed judgement about the fact that we've gone and bought a 911 with two young kids. It's not a problem I say (not like I care what others think)...we have a 5 door Golf GTI and a 4 door Saab 95.
We also have a mint restored Mk1 MX5 and my 3 door Megane RS 225 which I bought as a track car (but is mint and shouldn't really be used as a track slag).

Getting the cars down to 3 it's obvious that we have the Golf/Saab as sensible daily drivers for us each and then the 911 as the 'toy'? (selling the megane and mx5)

Nah...far too easy. My missus won't drive my Saab as it's too big. AND she has declared we can never sell the MX5 as it's part of the family. So if she uses the Porsche that leaves me with her poxy mk4 Golf as my daily car. I'm buggered if I'm losing my luxury Saab AND my Megane. We need one car that the buggy goes in obviously so, sod it, we keep my Megane and get rid of the two most practical cars! (Golf and Saab)

So if anyone says you need an SUV to move two kids about...you don't once they get past the first 18 months. We are going to France ASAP in the 911 and will just book a 'baby friendly bolthole' where they supply the cots etc. As for weekends away, the megane is absolutely fine and now they are in forward facing seats and virtually clamber in themselves...it's not that bad at all. Slightly more agg yes, but I get to keep my track car :)

[/img]

I'm managing I'm with my 8 month old in the back. I could see it as a problem with 2 rear facing car seats as they take up a lot of space compared to forward facing. I would of thought your biggest problem is that as a cab the baby seats can't sit as far back due to the angle of the base. I bet you get some funny looks all getting out of it!! Not sure you could fit in a double buggy might have to go for slings/carriers.

We are currently integrating a 996 Turbo into our fleet with a 4 1/2 month old.

I have found the best solution and barred my wife and son from the 996.

So we are now fully itegrated. :dont know:

Jonathon, that's one to do it. Not subtle but if it works!

Chris, yes, the slope of the bulkhead makes finding a seat a lot more tricky. We have pretty much the only 9 month seat that I believe properly fits the cabrio. Sod to find as it's not sold here and one company in Britain re-imports them after Britax send them to Sweden. It'll get easier when they are out of these as their leg room will be an issue as they grow.
Worst worst case I guess is it doesn't work at which point my better 1/2 is so in love with Porsche life that we sell it and get a tin-top. Perfect time to upgrade to a TT if they are still 'bargain' and could even be 'investment' (man maths)
Haven't found a double buggy that will go in yet, not sure one exists but they do a fair bit of walking now. We are going to Brands on Sunday and must admit for this one we are cheating and sending the buggy with a 'support car' lol.
And, yes, get some great looks off people when they see the two little people installed in the rear with the roof off....all part of the fun. It's great when you have the roof off as well, lifting them over and just plonking them in...very handy.

Ben

Yup...this is probably the best line up for a family of 4 with young babies...ever. Two fingers up to the Smax!

Problem solved :dont know:

Attachments

• 1z65qmf_142.jpg
    1z65qmf_142.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,774
Kris, I think I could mount their entire double bunk-bed cot thing to that....good thinking :) :D

You will eventualy buy an estate ...why ? Because it makes sens with 2 kids. :bandit:

I've got 4 x kids and when we all go out we have to take both cars.

It's a pain but luckily it doesn't happen much as they are at school / college most of the time.

Les said:
I've got 4 x kids and when we all go out we have to take both cars.

It's a pain but luckily it doesn't happen much as they are at school / college most of the time.

I can't think of any cars that are big enough for 4 kids 2 adults and luggage, unless you count a minibus.

I had a Mercedes ML. Talk about poor build quality! Probably spent 50% of the purchase prince in 2 x years on repairs.

Chris/Les, good comments! You tend to also fill the car to the available space...I borrowed a Galaxy once and nearly managed to fill that with stuff...no idea why.

I do have that luxury though that I can take a development/prototype car from work if needed so I REALLY need that much space I have access Galaxy/Sm-max/Mondeo estate etc. I rarely do though and for abroad we don't do this so the Porker is definitely being used next year to go to France with our two little un's.

Ben

Benji1975 said:
Chris/Les, good comments! You tend to also fill the car to the available space...I borrowed a Galaxy once and nearly managed to fill that with stuff...no idea why.

I do have that luxury though that I can take a development/prototype car from work if needed so I REALLY need that much space I have access Galaxy/Sm-max/Mondeo estate etc. I rarely do though and for abroad we don't do this so the Porker is definitely being used next year to go to France with our two little un's.

Ben

Ibdo wonder if that's sometimes the case with regards to space. Unfortunately the 4 wheel drive takes up quite a lot of the luggage area. When I had my c2 I could fit in one of those small fabric suitcases that seem to be favoured by airhostessses and the like. I do quite like the idea of that trailer but not sure I would get laughed at :dont know: :p

That's why I specifically discounted the C4S as needed maximum space. The tin top would have been even more sensible as you have parcel shelf area you can store some stuff on but missus definately wanted a convertible...

Ben

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back