Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oh no windscreen cracked :-(

DaleD53

Spa-Francorchamps
So today I found a big crack in the windscreen :x

I have had a look via the search function and it seems to me that the whole replacement thing can get a bit tense !

My research seems to point towards:

1 insist on OEM replacement screen
2 hope you get a good filter when auto glass or equivalent turn up to do the job
3 get them back if the job is it done correctly

It's all a bit depressing really

Is this about right or have I missed anything.

Any help/advice will be greatly received - thanks in advance :sad:

Most Insurance companies charge around the £75 if it is chip I think mine is £150 to replace

If I ever get mine replaced I would probably try to see if I could negotiate with them offer to pay extra and then get it replaced with original screen

Not sure if this would work but has to be worth a try

There must be screen fitter out there who would be a better choice than the national companies

ragpicker said:
What about OPC?

I'm pretty sure that most OPCs sub out windscreen replacement work.

Either way .... Pay £700+ for the job at an OPC with a chance to claw back £100/£150 from the Insurance company OR pay a £50/£100 excess and spend the other £600 on petrol. :?: I know what I'd choose. Oh I did.

It's at moments like this that you will test the rigor and robustness of your Insurance policy!

Having said that and without repeating the other points I'd just add the following:

1. Porsche do not make windscreens. As far as I know (on the 996 anyway) the glass is supplied to Porsche by Saint Gobain - one of the largest glass manufacturers in the world (by volume).

2. If you have a Hobson's Choice as Terry faced with his £100 contribution towards a £700 replacement or an excess fee of £50-£75 you have to be prepared to accept a cheap generic substitute rather than a Saint Gobain fitment.

I had the same experience earlier this year when my wife's Micra neded a windscreen. The standard factory fit is Pilkington - the guys from the fast fit outfit brought cheap generic that I'd never heard of. I raised the matter with the depot manager demanding a like-for-like Pilkington fitment. He stated that what they had supplied is an equivalent standard to the factory fit Pilkington (kite marks, BSI etc.) and that they are under instruction from the Insurance company to fit the cheapest alternative (another test of your Insurance policy).

That being the case, and deploying my usual persuasive powers, I changed his position to return a day later and fit a Pilkington windscreen (I could tell you how I did it, but then I'd have to shoot you cos he said he'd lose his job if his boss found out he fitted a Pilkington glass when they get paid only the cost of the cheapest generic product). This practice is rife everywhere - doctors palm you off with the cheapest genrics made in the back-waters of some Republic of Ketanga whose manufacturing standards were extolled in the BMJ - Bolivian Medical Journal.

Back to this thread, I'd say you are probably stuck with whatever glass is supplied is going to be fitted. So you might like to supervise the task and preferably at their fast fit depot under cover. Iy may just be that you get a Saint Gobain product because generics are only interested in products with high volumes where their cheap prices make money through product turn - they may only fit a few thousand Porsche glasses in the UK per year but many thousands of voume car manufacturers such as Ford, Citroen, Renault, Nissan etc.

Hope you get a solution that is acceptable to you.
(By the way, my Insurance does not limit me to fast-fit guys, I can have it doen at OPC in this instance but excess goes up from £75 to £150. Not bad for a £700 glass fitment that will be sub-contracted out but watched like a hawk by OPC - becasue in such a situation the contract is between me and OPC as I have elceted to delcine the insurers choice and picked my own repairer.

My wifes Q5 suffered a cracked screen when it was 18 months old and an Insurance claim was lodged.

A pattern screen was supplied and rejected by me as I wanted only genuine parts fitting to maintain my cars warranty!

The local fitting centre manager was nonplussed by this and agreed to fit a screen from Audi when I threatened to complain to my Insurance company!
Looking through the small print of the policy it states that a genuine screen would be fitted in the event of a claim..

So clearly the windscreen company were looking to maximise the profit margin by supplying a pattern part and invoicing the Insurance company for a genuine part..a bit naughty!

I had mine done a few weeks ago - went through Insurance and it was £75 excess. Fitter was Autoglass mobile and he fitted an OEM Saint Gobain screen.

Kas750 and Chris in the UK illustrate the points I made. In the former case, it is really down to reading the fine print in the Insurance policy - if it states anyhting on the lines of an equivalent standard they will not fit the original manufacturer parts (anything from windscreen to body panels).

Chris probably got a Saint GObain fitment cos there are very few (if any?) generic manufacturers for such low volume items (generic = pattern parts)

These games of passing on cheap subsitiutes made in the back-and-beyond markets are rife everywhere, as I've already stated. Insurers exploit these lower cost substitutes and rely on ignorance of the policy holder not to challenge their fitments on the basis that they are "only obliged to get you back to where you were prior to the loss"

So an update...

Been in contact with the insurers prefered supplier (Auto Windscreens) this morning. They said:

1 They won't supply a genuine Porshce supplied screen as my car is over three years old. However, the one they will supply is an "equivilent" it will have the green top tint, sensor behind the rear view mirror, and the centre aerial.

2 I could have a porshe supplied screen fitted if I wanted to purchase it and then claim back my £75 excess !

3 I can have it fitted at home/work or visit their garage.

I notice that they are located just across the road from my nearest OPC at exeter. I expect that OPC will use them for their work ? Tomorrow I am going to give OPC a call and ask if they have knowledge of them and if they recommend I use them. Assuming all is OK I will go for the "alternative" screen and have it fitted at the garage whilst I observe the process.

If the feed back is not so good I will have to find a different supplier.

Seems like a plan

:?:

Just had a new Pilkington screen fitted by Autoglass in Bedford. Very good job and only £75 excess. Insurance company would pay £50 if I wanted to get it fitted myself with an OEM screen. Autoglass will fit the original glass but only for cars under 3 years old. Checked with my OPC regarding warranty issues and there's no problem as long as any warranty claim has nothing to do with the windscreen. I'm happy with the screen and the job they did. Had to take it in due to the value of the car. :thumb:

DaleD53 said:
So an update...

Been in contact with the insurers prefered supplier (Auto Windscreens) this morning. They said:

1 They won't supply a genuine Porshce supplied screen as my car is over three years old. However, the one they will supply is an "equivilent" it will have the green top tint, sensor behind the rear view mirror, and the centre aerial.

2 I could have a porshe supplied screen fitted if I wanted to purchase it and then claim back my £75 excess !

3 I can have it fitted at home/work or visit their garage.

I notice that they are located just across the road from my nearest OPC at exeter. I expect that OPC will use them for their work ? Tomorrow I am going to give OPC a call and ask if they have knowledge of them and if they recommend I use them. Assuming all is OK I will go for the "alternative" screen and have it fitted at the garage whilst I observe the process.

If the feed back is not so good I will have to find a different supplier.

Seems like a plan

:?:

If I needed a new screen I would be happy if it has those 3 things.

Chris_in_the_UK said:
My car is 9 years old and Autoglass fitted OEM.

Sorry, should have said my Insurance company wouldn't fit OEM windscreen for cars over three years old. Autoglass would have been more than happy to do so. Spent ages trying to get the Insurance company to budge but no chance.

The choice of fitment is what is agreed between the insurer and the glass repairer. I don't think a glass repairer will fit a cheap generic or pattern or "equivalent" screen only to claim the cost of the original manufaturer supplied part.

The repairer is under instriction from the Insurance company.
Cheap Insurance = cheap skate parts/use of equivalents or even repairs versus replacements in the case of body panels and use of cheap generics for body panels that don't align properly and end up consuming more time by the repairer.

That's why I am so fussy when it comes to Insurance. Now I am totally deaf to anyone who boasts "just got insured for my Lamborghini, parked on the street in Toxteth, Moss Side, Hulme, Longsight, Miles Platting, Brixton, Millwall, Hyson Green etc for £120 fully comp with £100 excess and agreed valuation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back