Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stuffy cabin in non-A/C 993 coupe

Cheshire cat

Monza
In the few weeks I've had my (new to me) 993 coupe one thing that has struck me is that the cabin seems to get stuffy pretty quickly on a journey, even with the fan switched to speeds 2 or 3. As the title says my car isn't fitted with A/C (I know, that probably makes it worthless these days!) but it is less to do with the temperature of the air and more to do with the amount coming out of the vents.

A couple of days ago I pressed the re-circ button (light on button illuminated) and the airflow seemed to improve, with the cabin quickly feeling fresher as more air seemed to be coming from the vents. This all felt a bit counter-intuitive to me. Is this a common problem with an equally common solution or is this "just how non-aircon 993s are?"

Or am I just being thick? (always possible!)

You can retrofit air con, the advantage being it actually is then a new system that works, unlike most 993's about 2-2.5 K to do. Well worth it IMHO If it's a keeper? Does yours have a sunroof?
My last 2 the air on didn't work but with a sunroof on one open was fine, and the other was a targa lol.

Yes mine has a sunroof which helps and I may look at retrofitting AC at some time in the future. @-2.5k doesn't sound too bad for something that will enhance the value. For now though I just want to make sure my fresh air system is working correctly as I suspect it isn't. I'm thinking the fresh air control flap at the back of the "trunk" may be stuck or sticking. Is this fairly easy to get at from within the trunk or is it only accessible through the dash, which I suspect would be tricky?

I think that's a bit unfair about "....system that works, unlike most 993s"...

I use mine at the lowest setting all the time. Been recharged 3 times in 19+ years.

Never feels stuffy, never mists up and seems to make no difference to the mpg - always 160 miles on half a tank.

Use it or lose it!

My 3.2 had no A/C and I feel the OP's pain, it was horrible if you hate being hot as much as I do, the real nasty on classic (up to 993) models is the high screen, the sun shines right onto your lap - great if you need a wee, feels like you have already done it!!!

And ALL the ventilation is crap, great for winter but crap for summer.

Mine was totally replumbed and was amazing, cost £2k so retro fitting is not really that much of an expensive option compared to replacing? And an A/C car is always going to be worth more than a non A/C car, so if you get a good (maybe better than factory) system you might get the cost back if you sell.

Sure you could follow the retarded 'Open the windows and sunroof' argument, Ohhhh lovely hot air, insects, pollen, dust and general intake of other peoples bezine, road noise, wind noise, sun burning your head and your own exhaust up your nostrils when you stop.

Brilliant!
:grin:

The 'I'm glad I have no A/C' argument has the same validity as sticking your thumbs in your ears, making hand antlers, sticking your tongue out and humming. Actually it's not the same, it's more stoopid.

Can't really help all I know is when I have the windows closed when doing fast motorway driving I have all the vents open and the fan on about three I get plenty of through air.

Also I tend to keep all the air coming through the top vents by closing off the foot well vents but I mostly like to drive with my window/s and sun roof open in the more pleasant months ...... and no I do not consider myself a retard nor "stoopid" ....... :hand: :wack:

Ahhh...

The messing with the vents to get air.
:cloud9:

Reminds me of childhood holidays in the 1970's, that long run down to cornwall baking to death in a Viva, face stuck in the eyeball air vent craving cold fresh air to avoid throwing up, the sliding of the vent controls, the hope that hot air forced into your face makes it feel a bit colder. Mum, with the blue sick bowl ever ready, sometimes I would just be holding it together and she would offer it to me 'do you want the bowl?' and I'd throw up instantly, maybe we'd play 'spot the new reg cars' for a bit, and then it's back to sticking my face at the vents, the useless warm vents...

Memories of Bude, I have to thank you for that.
:thumbs:

....... YAWN ....... you are becoming like a stuck record old son and to be honest a bit of a bore ....... 'bout time you gave it a rest before we all fall asleep ....... :roll:

I must admit I tend to open my windows rather than have the AC on, only running it now and again to keep it working. Nothing to do with mpg I just prefer fresh air, helps living by the sea I guess :grin:

Can't beat fresh air, smell of oil and that 993 gurgle

If its wet I have the windows closed and it can start to get stuffy so the air con goes on then........... But once I'm through the car wash I'm ok :thumb:

Seriously I would never put my 993 through a car wash :hand:

Peter B said:
I think that's a bit unfair about "....system that works, unlike most 993s"...

I use mine at the lowest setting all the time. Been recharged 3 times in 19+ years.

Never feels stuffy, never mists up and seems to make no difference to the mpg - always 160 miles on half a tank.

Use it or lose it!

No offence meant just from experience two 993's air con worked in neither ( even after the quick fit treatment! ) so 0% record for me!
If I ever had another :grin: it would be a non air on model and a retrofit so it works like a new car, as I am addicted to air con working in the Middle East...
I'm with CC air con IMHO essential as a safety feature as much as anything else...
But of course evening time sunroof open, windows down, the sound that's a different matter....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back