Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 GT3 braided brake lines and solid engine mounts

Roro

... Worthwhile mods? Was looking into simple mods to improve the car for track days, these looked like worthwhile things to do. :?:

Hi Mate
How was Spa?

For me a solid engine mount on a car which is also used on road would be too much. Vibration and noise through the car would be extreme. Must people go with semi solid like the RSS or Wevo brands. What are you noticing that makes you feel you need to change?

As for the braided brake lines, I think Nick R told me once that the GT3 already has theses from factory. I've never changed mine but I expect some one will be along shortly to advise.

You coming to Oulton on Sat 18th October?

Jon

Cunno said:
Hi Mate
How was Spa?

For me a solid engine mount on a car which is also used on road would be too much. Vibration and noise through the car would be extreme. Must people go with semi solid like the RSS or Wevo brands. What are you noticing that makes you feel you need to change?

As for the braided brake lines, I think Nick R told me once that the GT3 already has theses from factory. I've never changed mine but I expect some one will be along shortly to advise.

You coming to Oulton on Sat 18th October?

Jon

Spa was feckin' ace! Weather was superb and standard of driving from others wasn't too bad which surprised me. I didn't get hassled as much when out on track but maybe that's because I'm now a little faster than I was before? :floor:

Regards the engine mounts, I read that it gives a more direct feel and improves the gear change as well, makes everything more rigid. Worth a shot I think. I don't think it's a DIY job to fit them though is it...?

These are the ones I was thinking of getting, any good?
http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod1...luminum--Porsche-964-993-996-997----Rennline/

The RS might have braided lines as standard, but my GT3 doesn't, they're plastic, RPM showed me last time my car was on their ramp - when I got them to fit that GT2 ARB you sold me actually.

Unfortunately can't do Oulton - falls on same date as a weekend away with the other half. Would have liked to though, never done that track before. Will be doing a lot more UK tracks next year because of Mannings Insurance cover changing

Roro said:

There solid mounts, have been known to crack engine cross member. As I said earlier IMO to must for a car that is used on road as well.

Must owners that do this upgrade go with either:

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997...=0&Count_Class_1_2895971=7240171#ITEM_2895971

Or

http://shop.jzmporsche.com/porsche-...performance-engine-mounting.html#.VBRHRNq9KSN

They don't really improve on the gear change as the front engine and gear box mount will still be standard allowing movement. See the Tarett site for up rated mounts for that end. I have the softest green ones and yes they help, but transfer a lot of noise and vibration into the cabin a bite to much for my liking.

The uprated engine mount basically stop that secondary movement that you feel when you throw the car into a corner and then the engine mass hanging out the back catches up. They do stop that.

As for the brake lines they could be plastic for all I know, but never found the brakes on a GT3 wanting. Only issues have been wear rates and cracking which have been sorted with better discs and pads. I assume braided lines may stop peddle fade, but my car doesn't suffer from this so not looked at upgrading.

Jon

I find in situations like this I ask my self 1 question:

What would Ramsey do?

:thumb:

Stuart said:

What would Ramsey do?

.... And how is your bank balance working out with that approach? :)

Cheers for the links Jon, I'm going to go with the JZM / RSS mounts :thumb:

Cunno said:
As for the brake lines they could be plastic for all I know, but never found the brakes on a GT3 wanting. Only issues have been wear rates and cracking which have been sorted with better discs and pads. I assume braided lines may stop peddle fade, but my car doesn't suffer from this so not looked at upgrading.

Jon

From what I've read and heard (from a couple of Indy's), the steel brake lines give a more solid feel to the brakes, it's just a case of improving what you have rather than fixing something that doesn't work very well. This is what I was thinking of going for http://www.design911.com/Porsche/99...Steel-Goodridge/pt66_203_-cma81-cmo117-ct344/

Roro said:
Cheers for the links Jon, I'm going to go with the JZM / RSS mounts :thumb:

Cunno said:

Jon

From what I've read and heard (from a couple of Indy's), the steel brake lines give a more solid feel to the brakes, it's just a case of improving what you have rather than fixing something that doesn't work very well. This is what I was thinking of going for http://www.design911.com/Porsche/99...Steel-Goodridge/pt66_203_-cma81-cmo117-ct344/

Typical, there the same as the ones I have :grin: I'd try Nine Excellence, there RSS official importers so could be cheaper.

(We could probably save a lot of time if you just gave me a list of what you've done to your car :grin: )

Roro said:
Stuart said:

What would Ramsey do?

.... And how is your bank balance working out with that approach? :)

Not very good, have a large October shopping list coming up which includes a trip to CG.

Put it this way, Nick has OEM RS mounts (I believe) and braided hoses, so do I...
The RS mounts are a very easy DIY and the braided hoses were fitted by Fearnsport at same time as fluid refresh.

Active mounts....best of both worlds :smugsmilie:

Braided hoses....hmmm, the factory hoses are braided but its inside the rubber protective outer. All brake hoses are reinforced this way. Is it really worth it?

Yes, Gen 2 had loads of great reliable gear, dynamic engine mounts, centre locks and front lift :?: :grin:

Are all brake lines on GT3/RS braided then, am I about to succumb to misleading Indys and marketing blurb? (sure won't be the first time, or the last!!)

Roro said:
Yes, Gen 2 had loads of great reliable gear, dynamic engine mounts, centre locks and front lift :?: :grin:

Are all brake lines on GT3/RS braided then, am I about to succumb to misleading Indys and marketing blurb? (sure won't be the first time, or the last!!)

Simple rules for me is the part that I'm thinking about up grading worn out? Yes up grade as prices are normally similar.

If no second question, am I pushing the car hard enough to notice the weakness in the existing parts I.e can I feel the symptoms that the upgraded part is so called going to fix?

Yes up grade when worn out.
No save your money

Jon

Yeh but what would Ramsey do? :)

... Cheers Jon / all, sound advice... Will order the engine mounts and not the braided lines yet, or at least not til I need a brake fluid change anyway

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back