Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is this the earliest 996 Turbo in the UK?

T8

Super Moderator
I saw this at Goodwood today and it got me wondering. Has anyone seen an earlier one than this W Reg car? Apart from the front splitter it looked in very good order. Unusual Meridian Silver too.

Re: Who's got the earliest 996 Turbo on here?

T8 said:
I saw this at Goodwood today and it got me wondering. Has anyone seen an earlier one than this W Reg car? Apart from the front splitter it looked in very good order. Unusual Meridian Silver too.

A rare car indeed, how many 2000 registered cars where there ?

Anyway of finding out ?

Re: Who's got the earliest 996 Turbo on here?

Jonathon555 said:
T8 said:

A rare car indeed, how many 2000 registered cars where there ?

Anyway of finding out ?

I think there might have been 16 (without gloveboxes)

16 ??????

Is there anyway of finding out for sure ?

Even 2000 registered cars were 2001 spec on the chassis numbers i think .

The only accurate info I've got is that 16 x Model Year 2000 cars and 5324 x Model Year 2001 cars were produced in total.

I assume that this is the total number of 'pre-glovebox' cars.

That probably means that only 600-1000 came to the UK. Most will be 'Y' or 51 Reg. I've seen a few 'X Reg' but this was my first 'W'.

As 'W' is pre-August 2000 I reckon that this must be one of the very first UK cars.

Just checked dvla website and it was registered 1st July 2000

2000 uk registered cars were allocated 2001 chassis numbers at porsche

When did the glove box come in ?

I guess the earliest uk one must have been wearing 911 HUL at one point .

Jonathon555 said:

I've always assumed that the facelift/glovebox model came in for MY 2002.

Autocar published a roadtest of a black 996T with Porsche GB's 911 HUL plate on 12th July 2000.

As this car was registered in July 2000 it was probably also one of the original 'press cars'.

As far as I know, the facelift 996 Turbo with glovebox was from MY2002 (i.e. from August 2001)

T8 said:
Jonathon555 said:

I've always assumed that the facelift/glovebox model came in for MY 2001.

Autocar published a roadtest of a black 996T with Porsche GB's 911 HUL plate on 12th July 2000.

As this car was registered in July 2000 it was probably also one of the original 'press cars'.

You often find "press cars" have a few subtlle enhancements over normal.

They often select the best ponies to power them.

Be interesting to see how many were registered from march to August. And what the split is manual to tip.

cheshire911 said:
As far as I know, the facelift 996 Turbo with glovebox was from MY2002 (i.e. from August 2001)

Me too. Typo now corrected. :oops:

Hmmm.....interesting.

Just banged the plate in autotrader (as a seller) and they claim its a....Porsche 911 2dr Tiptronic S

Comes up as a Turbo with mycarcheck though.

alex yates said:
Hmmm.....interesting.

Just banged the plate in autotrader (as a seller) and they claim its a....Porsche 911 2dr Tiptronic S

Comes up as a Turbo with mycarcheck though.

That probably just helps explain why so many cars end up in the wrong section of Autotrader. I certainly wouldn't trust their search engine as a source of reliable info'.

For the record the car was a non-glovebox manual.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back