Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PDK oil change

LWB

Trainee
Evening all, could I seek some clarity on PDk oil change requirements please?

My OPC has advised that it is not required at 6 yrs but some literature (including the service book) suggests otherwise. What are others PDK owners being advised / doing and what are the costs at an OPC?

Thank you all.

My advice is to follow what Porsche/VW tell you. The oil loses viscosity and needs replacing (along with filter).

Stick to dealers recommendation! In older DSG it is around 40,000 each service. If Porsche want silly money visit Audi/VW and see if they'll do it :)

It's on the 6th year maintenance record. You don't have to have it done, but then neither do you have to have the car serviced if you really don't want to ;)

It's peanuts, really. Just had my 6th service + PDK oil + drive belt for £867, so perfectly reasonable. Given a PDK 'box is around £15K, I think a few quid to replace the oil isn't too bad.

Double check because DSG can break if oil is not changed. It is VW gearbox essentially.

I'd love a 911 with PDK, also consider the cam follower 'lobe' on these Direct Injection engines. Main Dealer will not advise because they are probably unaware of it, nor its function, behind the HPFP.

Best Regards

Thanks all, I will get it done irrespective of the advice from the OPC. They have just advised that I need a PTM oil change when a month ago said only four wheel drive models needed a PTM oil change ?!?. Im finding it frustrating to get a consistent answer :?:

Nicholassss said:
I'd love a 911 with PDK, also consider the cam follower 'lobe' on these Direct Injection engines. Main Dealer will not advise because they are probably unaware of it, nor its function, behind the HPFP.
I'm curious now, what do you mean about the cam follower lobe with regards to the HPFP?

HPFP = High Pressure Fuel Pump.

Generally you have LPFP (Low Pressure Fuel Pump) from the back at 5.8bar - this travels and is driven by the cam in the Direct Injection engines I have studied.

Behind the HPFP is a cam follower lobe, which takes fuel pressure up to 110bar (2.0 TFSI engine), or 100bar (or thereabouts, in 2.5 TFSI - Audi TTRS). This is what VAG have incorporated into what we know as DFI/PDK. It is old VW technology that people laughed at, but has now become 100% perfect for economy, quick gear changes etc.

I have not studied these 997.2 yet. Until somebody loans me a car I cannot see how it works inside. Have to log/monitor the engine sensors when driving, see what is really happening, and compare that to the original software from Porsche.

This is what HPFP looks like on VAG engine

https://imageshack.com/i/0twp001385j

This is what cam follower look like on Direct Injection engine

https://imageshack.com/i/n9wp001388j

The cam follower is a little 'thimble' that helps the fuel pass at 110bar, or whichever pressure the rail accepts it at.

These modern cars do not have fuel send to rail and 'return' like old engines. It is sent and that is it. Your injectors are not fitted on a rail but screwed into the head - very close to the piston. You should fine really good MPG from these cars, n/a and petrol turbo.

DFI is the future. I with I could afford this engine in a Porsche.. maybe one day (Carrera 2S or something).

Sorry for going blah blah I love engines.

also.. from studying these engines open injectors as piston gets near BDC not for early ignition but to keep cylinder temps down.

I am not sure on these DFI engines - trying to find SSP on it now.

Very enlightening, thanks mate :thumb:

I love your tech posts btw Nicholassss, they're perfectly written and you definitely know your stuff.

New Cayenne DFI - HPFP runs at 120bar from factory - no surprise.

Its just a Golf engine (Golf technology). I've read all this before so not much to learn - found a PDF that says everything VW published years ago.

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/Cayenne_MY07_PCNA.pdf

Porsche are so behind the game - but look at BMW. They have E92 335i direct injection, have/had injector, carbon build up, and turbo charger issues, but it is a LOT cheaper to run these engines. Yes people will go 'blah blah carbon build up' but I think these engines are here to stay. Porsche have taken to this technology, albeit very late, but it works.

My car used to be awful round town driving* until I thought about changing it... 997.1 Carrera 2S, its fine now. If I had 'DFI' engine I know I wouldn't have had that problem. Fact.

All I need is 911 with DFI engine and I can study. I think the new '991' are Tricore processor (anti hack ecu) so I'll test drive a 997.2 DFI, read software through OBD port and study it. Haven't stopped tonight - bloody knackered!

Hope you get the DSG thing sorted - change the oil at proper intervals, you'll be fine. I wouldn't ever miss a service on a gearbox like that!

*edit - added the word 'driving'

Nicholassss said:
Hope you get the DSG thing sorted - change the oil at proper intervals, you'll be fine. I wouldn't ever miss a service on a gearbox like that!
But bear in mind that the PDK has two different oil chambers. One for hydraulic oil (clutch part) and one for gear wheel oil. They both have a different change interval. (56 tmls for hydraulic oil; 112 tmls for gear wheel oil)

I honestly didn't know that.

I look into engines more than gearboxes - so it was easier following the advice from Main Dealer regarding oil service intervals. I am trying to find SSP (Self Study Program) that the VAG Group releases with new engines.

I'll pop into Porsche and see what technical books they have for 997.2 and 991 vehicles! :D

Has anyone had their PDK oil changed out there? I have been quoted £520 from Hatfiled OPC for the work, they advised that the sump would need to replaced at the same time ?!?!?. Cambridge quoted £250 ish for the oil change. Both reiterated it was only required at 12 years or 120000 miles.

I have no idea what i should be paying and what is required, the online service pricing guide for Porsche suggests its £144 to change PDK transmission oil. Help :?

Just had mine done at OPC at 6 years old, confused as to OPC saying doesn't need doing its on the schedule simples.
My OPC gave me price for 6 year service as follows

Minor service
Drive belt change
Brake fluid change
PDK oil changed ( not sure which one :?: )

£846 all in including 10 % discount. Just wonder what would happen if OPC say verbally doesn't need doing, even though it says does in service book! Then PDK box breaks? Warranty? As not followed schedule?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back