Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Scratched alloy after new tyres fitted

K9Md

Silverstone
After having new front tyres fitted at ATS about 2 weeks ago I had the first chance to give them a wash today and found two 1cm long deep scratches on the right front rim :evil: They were definitely not there before this work was carried out.
They were running in a grease-streak so I hadn't noticed on the day, and other than driving home that day the car has not been used since.

My questions are, is it usual policy for tyre fitters to front up with the cost of repair for this type of damage, or do they play the 'prove it was us' game? And what type of repair is required? I don't think it warrants a full refurb, but my wheels are otherwise scratch-free and I would like them in the same condition they were in before. :sad:

I'm calling the dealership tomorrow and will likely contact excel for advice, but any insights from the collective would be appreciated!

If I owned a tyre place and some guy came to me 2 weeks after I'd put new tyres on his car telling me the scratches on his alloys were my doing I would run him out of town!

If you show him the scratch at the time then that's a completely different situation. 2 weeks after the fact is not going to hold any water I'm afraid.

Unfortunately you're going to have to suck this one up Ned put it down to experience I'm afraid but it does make me wonder if it's worth taking photos before and after from now on when getting my own tyres changed.

I wish you luck but don't think you've got a leg to stand on I'm afraid :nooo:

ragpicker said:
If I owned a tyre place and some guy came to me 2 weeks after I'd put new tyres on his car telling me the scratches on his alloys were my doing I would run him out of town!

If you show him the scratch at the time then that's a completely different situation. 2 weeks after the fact is not going to hold any water I'm afraid.

Unfortunately you're going to have to suck this one up Ned put it down to experience I'm afraid but it does make me wonder if it's worth taking photos before and after from now on when getting my own tyres changed.

+1

ragpicker said:

+ 1
Kwikfit scratched my new m sport alloys on my 335d went back same day totally denied it :sad:

Thought as much. Grrrrr. Will give it a go, have photos of the scratch within their grease and lube marks, but don't like my chances!

Take photos
Contact office of fair trading
Speak to the manager at ATS
Tell him you're seeking retribution through the courts
Leave a letter with him outlining your case
With all your contact details,
Include that any legal costs will be included in the claim, and that you'd be happy with a wheel refurb.
See what happens
Keep calm throughout.
It's not even started yet, so give them a chance.

Well very very pleasantly surprised with my phone conversation this morning with the manager of the ATS branch. He was understanding and considerate, and after viewing the photos has acknowledged that they caused the damage. They are going to pay for a repair. :thumb:

This all 7days before a 10 day autobahn and alpine road trip 3 years in the planning. I won't have it repaired before then, but at least I now don't feel so gutted as to sour the tone of the trip 8)

K9Md said:
Well very very pleasantly surprised with my phone conversation this morning with the manager of the ATS branch. He was understanding and considerate, and after viewing the photos has acknowledged that they caused the damage. They are going to pay for a repair. :thumb:

This all 7days before a 10 day autobahn and alpine road trip 3 years in the planning. I won't have it repaired before then, but at least I now don't feel so gutted as to sour the tone of the trip 8)

A retailer that understands customer service! If you continue telling your friends the few hundred quid it's going to cost ATS will be money well spent. I've already made a note :)

Surprised with that result. I was just about to rant about this is what happens when you don't use OPC or Porsche Indy etc. One up for ATS!

My local ATS is pretty good and it's nice to read that the eOP's is similar.

Would have been dead easy of them to say 'foxtrot oscar'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back