Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.2 GT3 Trackday wheels and tyres

Cartus

Don't want to repeat a thread so if anyone can direct me to one if already out there. Want to get trackday wheels and tyres for the car next as a recent trip to Spa showed the road Michelins just won't cut it. I want to keep to 18inch rims unless dramatic reason to go to 19 inch. Options:

Swap to Cup 2s but not yet available in 18inch?
keep to standard wheels or get some 18inch OZ Alleggerittas?

Any advice appreciated...

Gentle mods so far: Tquipment roll bar/harnesses, Centre Gravity trackday/fast road geo, SRF brake fluid/stainless hoses /Pagid RS 29s all round...

Am trying to avoid going too far down the slippery mod slope but want to enjoy it on track!!

Pirelli Corsa R in 18s? cracking tyres.
Pilot cup sports are always a winner in dry. slippy in wet/dry
toyo 888s.
Federal RSR.

depends on your budget really. I would stick to 18s as 19s gets expensive and more availability in 18s. unless you need loads more grip. 11 x 18 GT3 wheel should be fine.

have a look on Tyreleader or Camskill. Mytyres is good too.

Cup 2 are available in 235/40R18 and 295/30R18 (you may have to phone and ask, but they are out there). They only started showing up mid July, but a few people are already running them in 18" sizes on 996s. That is now pretty much the tyre of choice.

As for wheels - either unmount your current tyres and put them on your current wheels or if you fancy another set the Alleggerita is decently priced and a fair bit lighter than the OE ones and should be considered the default option. Those are also available in the exact same sizes and offsets as the factory wheels.

Thanks for the advice -I definitely want to go for the Cup 2s if affordable- the other option would be Cups as they are now much cheaper. What difference would standard wheels v lightweight OZs make to the driving experience? Less unsprung weight I know but can you tell driving the car? (The only reason I would replace the standard wheels would be if it gave a noticeable improvement in the driving experience..)

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/michelin/pilot-sport-cup-2/235-40-r18-95y-284509
http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/michelin/pilot-sport-cup-2/295-30-zr18-98y-286397

About £960 per set for 18" Cup 2s. Longevity and wet weather performance is very significantly better than the old cup and they are better value even if you could source the old tyre for significantly less.

As for the lighter wheels, it is not night and day but it is certainly noticeable. The difference in steering feel is similar to the difference between cars with steel and those with ceramics. IIRC (sorry, but not going to check the numbers at this time of night) if you go with OZs and floating steel disks you actually get less unsprung rotating mass than PCCB on stock wheels.

NLW73 said:
Pirelli Corsa R in 18s? cracking tyres.
Pilot cup sports are always a winner in dry. slippy in wet/dry
toyo 888s.
Federal RSR.

depends on your budget really. I would stick to 18s as 19s gets expensive and more availability in 18s. unless you need loads more grip. 11 x 18 GT3 wheel should be fine.

have a look on Tyreleader or Camskill. Mytyres is good too.

The Federal RSR is more like the Yoko A08Rs - really sticky road tyre, rather than an out and out 1B tyre like the rest. The Federal FZ-201 are very good - I would put them as better than the R888.

The closest to a slick tyre that can be run on the road is actually the Kumho V70A - it comes in our sizes and it is also offered in soft - developed for a Rallye Team in Belgium which uses them as wets on their 996 GT3 rallye car - medium, which I have raced on and is even stickier than a set of Cups and hard, which perhaps is the best compromise, as the mediums last no more than 5000 miles.

Thanks for all the advice-I'll post back when I've taken the plunge!

fair comment alex on the RSR. they are not an all out track tyre like the 888 or cups but if you do get caught out in some damp or wet they offer a far better solution.
the FZ 201 is a belting tyre but you can only get up to 285 width in the 18s. I have put a 285 RSR tyre next to a 295 Pirelli road tyre and they are the same width/footprint on the road. so not much is lost out.
the Toyo R1R is just too soft a sidewall so the RSR is good as an all rounder.
the Cup 2 is supposed to be better in the dry and MUCH better in the wet than the old cups.
if you do go orginal Cups make sure you get some newish stock as some of the tyre leader stuff is very old - 2010/2011. ok if been stored well but you never know.
the Kumho V70 is a cracking tyre and similar money to Cups/Toyos.

NLW73 said:
fair comment alex on the RSR. they are not an all out track tyre like the 888 or cups but if you do get caught out in some damp or wet they offer a far better solution.
the FZ 201 is a belting tyre but you can only get up to 285 width in the 18s. I have put a 285 RSR tyre next to a 295 Pirelli road tyre and they are the same width/footprint on the road. so not much is lost out.
the Toyo R1R is just too soft a sidewall so the RSR is good as an all rounder.
the Cup 2 is supposed to be better in the dry and MUCH better in the wet than the old cups.
if you do go orginal Cups make sure you get some newish stock as some of the tyre leader stuff is very old - 2010/2011. ok if been stored well but you never know.
the Kumho V70 is a cracking tyre and similar money to Cups/Toyos.

Wow, did not know the RSR is that wide...

For the money, I totally agree with you, they are unbeatable. My brother uses them on his supercharged E46 M3 drift car and we were running circles around quite a few of the GT3s at Bedford at its last outing. The reason I mentioned they were not an out and out track tyre is that they do go off quite rapidly on heavier cars when you really push them. But I guess when you can pick up the rears in 285 for £117 each you will accomodate for the quick heat cycling.

The FZ201s were so good on my 928 race car, I am tempted to try them on the GT3 when the R888s it has on at the moment are changed. The V70s are very square too, so I can live with the 285, which is 295 in reality, especially on a 11" BBS LM...

Has anyone bought a set of these recently? I am having trouble locating them at any of the places mentioned earlier on this thread, seem to be unavailable?

ETA: I am after 996 GT3 fitment; 235/40R18 and 295/30R18.

Mitch312 said:
Has anyone bought a set of these recently? I am having trouble locating them at any of the places mentioned earlier on this thread, seem to be unavailable?

ETA: I am after 996 GT3 fitment; 235/40R18 and 295/30R18.

I assume you mean Cup 2?

Call ATS Euromaster. They sourced me two sets recently.

Excellent tyres. Have used in the dry and both wet and dry yesterday at Silverstone. Worked great both wet and dry. I do find they start squirming a bit after 3-4 laps, but that could be just the increasing tyre pressures and temps.

So far I have set new personal bests this summer at Ring, Spa, and Silverstone on these tyres.

Cheers, and yes, after Cup 2s. ATS have rears but no fronts, search ongoing...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back