Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake discs - OE or OEM or third-party

Jcx

Estoril
Hi folks,

Who has changed their discs and what did you pick?

From cursory research i see that OE Porsche discs are criminally priced at about £660 inclusive of VAT from Matt at Type 911 vs Pagid discs at about £225 inclusive of VAT for a set. Sebro is similarly priced.

I will find it very hard to buy Porsche OE discs when the time comes at a £400+ premium.

Has anyone bought Pagid or Sebro? For all i know i may have those at the mo...

Cheers

Jc

Brembo here Joe. I think Pete used Pagid and has put one of his old discs back on as the new one was out of true. Make of that what you will.....

Chief said:
Brembo here Joe. I think Pete used Pagid and has put one of his old discs back on as the new one was out of true. Make of that what you will.....

Mmmm thx chief what did the berm of ones cost and where from?

I always fit Sebro to mine. £60 + VAT each from Type 911 for standard front discs.

I once received pagid from another supplier even though I ordered sebro and soon threw them away.

I also tried the cheap pagid road pads instead of the usual textar and threw those away too.

Pagid are OEM iirc. Textar pads likewise. Eurocarparts supply both and are hard to beat on price.

Thx guys. Good to know. One of the site sponsors recommended the brembo pads... How often should pads and discs be changed? I know pads wear, as do discs but what should i elect in terms of miles with ordinary use?

ras62 said:
Pagid are OEM iirc. Textar pads likewise. Eurocarparts supply both and are hard to beat on price.

Rob, I've seen a number of references (from those that believe they are in the know) that state SHW are the only supplier to Porsche. Here's a link to their discs:

http://www.shw.de/cms/en/business_segments/brake_discs/monobloc_brake_discs/

AFAIK it's not possible to buy SHW discs directly or from any parts supplier which only adds weight to the rumour that Porsche have them in a water tight contract. :grin:

The garage that looks after my Navara refuses to fit and I quote "the cheap shite" from eurocarparts with filters, brake pads and ball joints top of his pish list not that I would go OPC either.

not sure Ive helped much :dont know:

Intriguing Steve... Thx Gaz; right, to so helpful. :eek:

I bought sebro front discs for mine from ECP, they were warped so I returned them for replacements, they were warped so returned them for replacements, they were warped so returned them for replacements which are lying around at my dads somewhere as I didn't bother fitting them and stuck with the ones that were already on the car as they've still got some life in them. My local Indy told me the genuine Porsche discs are far superior in every way to all the alternatives, even the ones that are allegedly OEM?
If you do buy from ECP they will exchange them no problem if they are out of true though.

Ian

I have just fitted Sebro sports discs front and rear. From ECP

Front pads Hawk HP2 (boxey recommended) and normal Pagid rears.

I thought Sebro were OEM manufacturers?

Either way, no complaints so far.

igaffz said:
I bought sebro front discs for mine from ECP, they were warped so I returned them for replacements, they were warped so returned them for replacements, they were warped so returned them for replacements which are lying around at my dads somewhere as I didn't bother fitting them and stuck with the ones that were already on the car as they've still got some life in them. My local Indy told me the genuine Porsche discs are far superior in every way to all the alternatives, even the ones that are allegedly OEM?
If you do buy from ECP they will exchange them no problem if they are out of true though.

Ian

Ian that is rotten luck. Perhaps a silly question but how did you know they were warped? What was your test? Why do they warp?

Boxsey said:
ras62 said:

Rob, I've seen a number of references (from those that believe they are in the know) that state SHW are the only supplier to Porsche. Here's a link to their discs:

AFAIK it's not possible to buy SHW discs directly or from any parts supplier which only adds weight to the rumour that Porsche have them in a water tight contract. :grin:

Could well be Steve. Im not sure if mine are Pagid or Sebro tbh, although I have just used Pagid on the Benz and they are fine. After seeing the quality of Porsche discs on the later cars I simply would not bother.

Joe's question of how long do they last? This is simply down to when they reach minimum thickness unless rusted etc. If they are 28mm new the min is 26mm front. Rear the numbers are 24mm new 22mm min according to ECP. A sure way to shorten disc life is to wash the car and put it in the garage without going for a drive to dry the brakes...

Warping is unusual, what seems like warping i.e judder under braking is often contamination of the disc surface with pad material caused by keeping the brake pressed when the discs are hot at traffic lights etc

ras62 said:
Boxsey said:
ras62 said:

Could well be Steve. Im not sure if mine are Pagid or Sebro tbh, although I have just used Pagid on the Benz and they are fine. After seeing the quality of Porsche discs on the later cars I simply would not bother.

Joe's question of how long do they last? This is simply down to when they reach minimum thickness unless rusted etc. If they are 28mm new the min is 26mm front. Rear the numbers are 24mm new 22mm min according to ECP. A sure way to shorten disc life is to wash the car and put it in the garage without going for a drive to dry the brakes...

Thx Rob. Is that because washing and leaving to stand gives rise to rust which when rubbed off afterwards leaves the disk a little bit thinner?

Exactly right Joe. Especially the inside surface that cant be seen. Edited my last post re warping

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back