Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic info

JonGM13

Hi
Can anyone tell me the difference between a Tiptronic and a Tiptronic S gearbox? :?:

JonGM13 said:
Hi
Can anyone tell me the difference between a Tiptronic and a Tiptronic S gearbox? :?:

Hi,

I think you'll find the S has switches on the stearing wheel to change gear as well as the gear shift. Where as the basic tiptronic just has the gear shift.

If I'm wrong someone will be along soon with all the info

ATB :)

decgraham said:
JonGM13 said:
Hi

Hi,

I think you'll find the S has switches on the stearing wheel to change gear as well as the gear shift. Where as the basic tiptronic just has the gear shift.

If I'm wrong someone will be along soon with all the info

ATB :)

That's my understanding too.

Software differences as well....

"Beginning with model year 1995, Porsche offered the Tiptronic S with additional steering wheel mounted controls and refined software for smoother, quicker shifts. "

The shifts are very quick, but not always smooth due to torque converter lock up.

:bye:
Thanks guys I have a '97 Targa Tiptronic S and wondered what the S had to do. I must admit that the changes with the gear lever or the steering wheel are very quick especially compared to my BMW 5 series.

I think they are quick too, even though it's an old Merc gearbox. In normal driving I doubt you'd want them any quicker? There's an art to driving a tip quickly - I haven't got it and don't particularly want it.

Hi

I think that all 993's are Tiptronic S with the buttons on the wheels. All 964's are Tiptronics with no buttons on the wheels.

Berni

The S version of the tiptronic introduced buttons on the steering wheel of that I am pretty sure ...... :)

berni29 said:
Hi

I think that all 993's are Tiptronic S with the buttons on the wheels. All 964's are Tiptronics with no buttons on the wheels.

Berni

Incorrect, please read my quote again :nooo:

93/94 model year 993 tiptronics were none S. It's one of the ways you can tell the age of a tip with a private plate on :wink:

Hi Jon

Very interesting. My car is an early 1994 993 with some early car features (such as 964 cam sprockets) and it came with the steering wheel buttons.

I wonder if there is something about the 1995 cars in particular, or if it is a country specific bulletin?

All the best

Berni

It is a USA bulletin :dont know:

The retrofit involves basically fitting a different slip ring with two extra connections on the slipring ribbon ie to facilitate the up/down gear signal via a new wiring loom, the other end of which is soldered to the existing tip selector electrics under the centre consol.

I'm not sure why this could not be done to 93/94 cars other than maybe a software issue on those (not sure why this would be an issue though as all you are doing in effect is providing a remote source of an existing signal to change gear up or down :? )

Pre 95 uk tips definately did not have steering wheel gear selection buttons and I thought the change to tip S and the button was worldwide in 95 :dont know:

Could yours have been retrofitted before your ownership :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back