Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cold Start issues / rough idle - Help please guys

911matt23

Good evening all,

I have made endless searches online, however my issue still remains inconclusive.

I know I'm not the only one with this issue I'm sure, however since owning the car (6 weeks and loving it) I have an intermittent cold start issue, that one day it's pretty much perfect then another it's spluttering, get some popping and feels it's going to stall.

I find it strange as it's intermittent and after leaving for a week it's REALLY rough haha.

Is this a common problem on an X reg 2001 996 Carrera 4? Was a 996 of this age fitted with an idle control valve?

If anyone has had this problem and rectified or likewise if anyone can assist I would be really grateful :)

Many thanks in advance,

Matt

Take it for a nice leisurely drive until the temp gauge levels out and the engine's nice and warm......then drive it like you've just robbed your local Nat West bank and you've £80k n a couple of shooters in the boot. May just need what's it's designed to do..a good blast.

Diagnostic first...

Had the same problem and after fitting a new Bosch idle control valve at almost £400 problem solved, just make sure after fitting you turn key to first click on ignition for a short period of time then turn back to off then start the car and let it tick over for a while to let the car learn the new part and correct the idle problem.

Good luck.

Excellent...many thanks chaps...rude not to try the blast first of course and if this doesnt clear the problem will do a diag...

Cheers

Matt

yes mine does it too, probably on 25% of my starts it runs like a pig for a couple of minutes, then clears and is perfect. It can do it from cold or hot after getting fuel.

Ive changed MAF, Lambdas, air temp sensor, plugs, coils.

Been into porsche, they checked intake for air leaks, nothing obvious. Done loads of obd2 checks for fuel, timing, temperatures, maf, nothing .
Only weird this is that I unplug the lambdas, it does it all the time even though the car should always start in open loop and ignore the lambdas.

when it does it you can floor throttle, it just spits worse, like its underfuelling.

So no one understands this.

Timm996 - did Porsche not look into replacing the idle control valve as Wardy mentioned above?

Well I took it out for a blast on Friday eve and both yesterday and today started fine....will be interesting to see after I leave it for the week and see how she starts next weekend...

If I'm still struggling going to look I to idle control valve. Is it easily accessible to clean as a first resort before spending almost 400 notes?

Cheers

Matt

My understanding would be the idle valve control affects the idle speed at tickover. Interesting to know from the other poster if his problem also affected the running of the car under throttle. So if tried to rev it up would it bog down and spit in neutral or be fine above idle.
When mine playing up I can floor it in neutral andit just spits and pops and doesnt make it over 2000 revs.
Sometimes a restart clears it or I just wait a minute till it clears.
Tbh im so used to it now it doesn't register so much but it would be nice to get to the bottom of it

My understanding would be the idle valve control affects the idle speed at tickover. Interesting to know from the other poster if his problem also affected the running of the car under throttle. So if tried to rev it up would it bog down and spit in neutral or be fine above idle.
When mine playing up I can floor it in neutral andit just spits and pops and doesnt make it over 2000 revs.
Sometimes a restart clears it or I just wait a minute till it clears.
Tbh im so used to it now it doesn't register so much but it would be nice to get to the bottom of it

Did you do a scan with durametric? This engine doesn't always throw a light when theres a fault.

Thats the first thing to do.

If yours is a cable throttle care its quite easy to remove the ISV and drench it in carb cleaner to clean it out, do the throttle body at the same time. Check for oil deposits possibly coming from the where the AOS connects behind the TB.

If yours is an e-gas car (no throttle cable) then the idle is all computer controlled by the TB (no ISV). Won't hurt to give it a clean though.

Whats your crankcase vacuum like? Is the oil filler cap very easy to remove / a bit of suction when removing / so much you can hardly remove the cap?

Timm - yours maybe a faulty coil? - again do a scan with durametric.

wasz said:
If yours is a cable throttle care its quite easy to remove the ISV and drench it in carb cleaner to clean it out, do the throttle body at the same time. Check for oil deposits possibly coming from the where the AOS connects behind the TB.

If yours is an e-gas car (no throttle cable) then the idle is all computer controlled by the TB (no ISV). Won't hurt to give it a clean though.

e-gas on a 2001 C4.

As Alex said it's e-gas so this weekend going to clean the TB and see how that reacts. Likewise will do the oil filler cap test as per your message!

Many thanks chaps! I will report back.

Matt

911matt23 said:
As Alex said it's e-gas so this weekend going to clean the TB and see how that reacts. Likewise will do the oil filler cap test as per your message!

Many thanks chaps! I will report back.

Matt

So is it running bad again?

Don't touch anything if it seems ok now.

Cheers Alex.

Well it's running better but still stuttered yesterday after a couple of days sitting there.

Will test again Saturday and decide what to do. May just clean the TB anyway just for good maintenance.

Thanks again guys!!

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back