Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 running costs

Now obviously as generation 2 prices are rising as fast as 993 turbo prices no harm in adding up costs and confirming the gen 2 C2 has lowest running costs :D of any 911?
On a serious note for anyone thinking of a purchase I bought mine getting on for a year ago, approx 5-6k cheaper than an S, with close to 2 years OPC warranty remaining, which was big thing for me. So far costs as follows, essential items only.

Tax 1 year £285.00
New condenser radiators (covered under warranty)
New bonnet switch (covered under warranty)
Electric window switch (Covered under warranty)
PDK box slight oil leak (Covered under warranty)
3 x 111 point check (all free from Porsche Wilmslow)
6 year service including brake fluid change, drive belt change, PDK oil change,
£836 with 10% discount. Not bad I thought as drive belt alone close to 300 quid, shame about the Mercedes 220 CDI estate courtesy car? Although Zingers the dragon on the intro desk Is Defo gone!

Now bearing in mind I have a years warranty left, cheap tax, the car easily gets close to 30 mpg, the tyres still have 5 mm of tread, service not due for another two years, the rust bug won't be around for a few years yet, this is seriously cheap 911 Porsche motoring. I suppose I'd be disappointed in the little niggles which without warranty would seriously add up, other than that reliable as a Swiss watch and a joy to own and drive :thumbs:
Be interested in how this compares to other 911's?

I have an '11 turbo, so a bit new to be useful here, but I thought I'd add this observation I had when I was considering whether to buy it:

For the first 4 years, the quoted service intervals are 2 years, and costs are £2,100 (including two brake fluid changes and the 'expensive' spark plug change at 4y).

I also considered a V12 Vantage, the published equivalent AM service costs being £3,892 for the same period (annual interval required).

Admittedly I decide to add an annual oil change, but this adds only about £200 a year.

Had my gen 1 for two or so years. Mine is a massive mileage car so,as you'd expect I have faced a few more costs but then there is no depreciation to factor. Apart from servicing I've done condensers (about £300 iirc), pretty much every suspension component incl PASMs (about £1,200), window regulator (ridiculously overpriced part), an oil leak (free), alternator cable and now sat outside needing an alternator (ordered this am for £96). So not cheap but no more than any European car with over 150k.

I'm marvelling at your drive belt costs though. Presumably you mean the grooved serpentine belt? I took mine off last night whilst getting the alternator out and it took about 10 minutes and the part is perhaps £30 from OPC or less elsewhere so i'd think even an OPC would struggle to justify more than £100.

I agree though that they aren't too pricey to run so long as you use them.

Nick

Had my gen 1 for two or so years. Mine is a massive mileage car so,as you'd expect I have faced a few more costs but then there is no depreciation to factor. Apart from servicing I've done condensers (about £300 iirc), pretty much every suspension component incl PASMs (about £1,200), window regulator (ridiculously overpriced part), an oil leak (free), alternator cable and now sat outside needing an alternator (ordered this am for £96). So not cheap but no more than any European car with over 150k.

I'm marvelling at your drive belt costs though. Presumably you mean the grooved serpentine belt? I took mine off last night whilst getting the alternator out and it took about 10 minutes and the part is perhaps £30 from OPC or less elsewhere so i'd think even an OPC would struggle to justify more than £100.

I agree though that they aren't too pricey to run so long as you use them.

Nick

Chris_in_the_UK said:
My belt change cost me £20!.

Sorry Just rechecked V belt 45.68 labour 54.32 so hundred quid plus VAT . Expensive probably but it's done and listed on OPC receipt, so I'm happy.

Had my gen 2 C2S for 14 months now, bought from an OPC, so it came fully serviced with a 2 year warranty.

Only expenses have been tax (£485) and a litre of oil, but will need tyres before the winter.

Engine management light came on and loose exhaust fixing covered under warranty.

Have averaged just over 26 mpg.

All costs more than offset by the huge rises in values as spongebob says

:grin: :thumb:

Running costs are really high for gen.2 :

After 16 months and 26000 kms :

1000 euros for OEM sport steering Wheel
240 euros for map update
280 euros for OEM outdoor car cover
180 euros for ashtray
800 euros for 4 yr service
1200 euros for a set of PSS (kept them for 5 days)
1500 euros for a set of PS2 N2

and I am sure I forget a lot of things...

:) Happiest 16 months of my life :)

Geros said:
Running costs are really high for gen.2 :

After 16 months and 26000 kms :

1000 euros for OEM sport steering Wheel
240 euros for map update
280 euros for OEM outdoor car cover
180 euros for ashtray
800 euros for 4 yr service
1200 euros for a set of PSS (kept them for 5 days)
1500 euros for a set of PS2 N2

and I am sure I forget a lot of things...

:) Happiest 16 months of my life :)

Quality :thumbs: I didn't include the man extras :floor:

spongebob squarepants said:
Chris_in_the_UK said:
My belt change cost me £20!.

Sorry Just rechecked V belt 45.68 labour 54.32 so hundred quid plus VAT . Expensive probably but it's done and listed on OPC receipt, so I'm happy.

Indeed - we are in different places, I have no OPC warranty and do most of my own stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back