Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Locating an oil leak

A993LAD

In the 2 years I've owned our 993 cab it's had a tiny oil leak but I have no idea where from.

Having put a tray under the car an measured the leak it has consistently stayed at about 3 drips per day - so a tiny volume of oil. I was only able to ascertain this after removing the back undertray which I've left off the car for the last 18 months.

The oil drips off the middle of the rear anti-roll bar but the oil comes from much higher up.

Last time it went in for a service I asked if they could fix it. They gave me some ***** about not being entirely sure but thought it might be lower cam covers. They changed these along with the timing chain gaskets too and presumed it fixed. They had cleaned the engine up too so no drips for a few days but sure enough a couple of weeks later the drips started again.

Having had the car on a ramp this weekend I took the chance to try and track the leak. It looks like it's up the drivers side quite high and quite far forwards perhaps between the engine/gearbox - but it's definitely engine oil not transmission.

It looks a bit oily up around where a rubber pipe is joined to the bell housing with 2 small bolts. This rubber hose joins a steel one which goes into the engine bay and then connects to the airbox. Or the leak might maybe above that.

Anyway I've cleaned it all up and will take it back to the ramp in a week or so to see what I can identify.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

Mine had oil return tubes leaking,well one of them.
I had a curious oil leak from somewhere up top,it turned out to be top cam covers leaking from the top of the cover!
New seals now much better,
Still got a leak but like you further investigation required,
Good luck on your search,

Hi,

If I understand you correctly I would say that's it is likely t be the small oil filter.

These are often not changed and rust through. Also, if they are over tightened the seal fails and leaks.

Hope this helps.
GR

It looks a bit oily up around where a rubber pipe is joined to the bell housing with 2 small bolts. This rubber hose joins a steel one which goes into the engine bay and then connects to the airbox. Or the leak might maybe above that.

OK check the oil bridge between timing chain cover and cam cover

Put you hand around this part and see if its wet ,it is located just by that tube but may be obscured by ac unit if you ac

There are 3 x oil o rings that leak

240417d1198038198-help-on-oil-leak-hopefully-complete-info-per-steve-and-john-bridge-pipe.jpg

Hi

A further and easyish to check possible is the crankcase breather hose and oil sender unit, both of which sit next to each other on the top of the crankcase at the back.

If you remove the air filter box and use a torch you can see the area quite well. A mirror on a stick will help for detailed examination.

These leaks can be really hard to find!

All the best

Berni

This is the area that Bernie is referring to.
If you have a varioram you can see this if you peer underneath the intake tubes.
It's pretty hard to get to unless you remove the air filter assembly as Bernie says. However you can some times get you hand in (if you have girly hands like me!) and have a feel around to get an idea if the area is wet with oil. If it's running down under the car and dripping I would think it maybe pretty oily.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Steve.

Thanks guys

I'll check all these suggestions tomorrow and report back any useful or significant findings

Marc

Citori said:
This is the area that Bernie is referring to.
If you have a varioram you can see this if you peer underneath the intake tubes.
It's pretty hard to get to unless you remove the air filter assembly as Bernie says. However you can some times get you hand in (if you have girly hands like me!) and have a feel around to get an idea if the area is wet with oil. If it's running down under the car and dripping I would think it maybe pretty oily.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Steve.

Right I took the air filter box out and checked this but it's all bone dry and looking good.

clinchy993 said:

OK check the oil bridge between timing chain cover and cam cover

Put you hand around this part and see if its wet ,it is located just by that tube but may be obscured by ac unit if you ac

There are 3 x oil o rings that leak

240417d1198038198-help-on-oil-leak-hopefully-complete-info-per-steve-and-john-bridge-pipe.jpg

Thanks Clinchy.

I've had a look around the engine and I can't spot where this is located. Apologies for being stupid but would I see this area from above or below the engine?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back