Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Best security combo on early 911

hughes73

Hi - i've just got my first classic 911t and want to get a security system on it. I know there are Cat 1 and Cat 2 systems and Trackers - in fact there's a lot of choice. Does anyone have any good bad experiences. I 'm in East London. Cheers

Hi welcome

Sometimes the simple things are the best . As the older 911 didn't have much in the way of front boot carpet I used to fit one of the battery cut outs on the front near side battery immobilising the whole car.you could also fit a distributor cut out on a hidden switch. There's not much electrical sophistication in the early cars but mine used to suffer with battery run down so an alarm will draw current.
Cat alarms do all that but cost . Did you want or need it to make a noise if tampered with or moved? If so a proper fitted alarm is really the only way. A thatcham as recognised by the Insurance industry. With values as they are it's a small price to pay my old E has just been sold for nearly double what I let it go for.
Have you joined DDK forum loads of in dependant experience there on older 911s.not wishing to detract from here of course.

Steve

Steve

Hi Steve. Thanks for your reply. I know a determined thief will be able to overcome pretty much all obstacles but something that will immobilise the car that a fairly 'standard' thief will not be able to overcome is probably what I'm after. I'm in London so I'm not sure how much notice people will take of an alarm. The battery cut out sounds interesting but couldn't a thief just pop the hood and re-connect? I have a Master Battery cut off and immobiliser on my Caterham and that works pretty well as it has a key. Perhaps there is one with a removable key like that one?

I don't mind investing a little, as you say, prices seem to always be going up so it's worth it. Would love to get some opinions on specific immobilisers.

Just joined DDK and someone has posted an interesting link to this tracking device. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-G...echnology&hash=item19e422f708#ht_11835wt_1020

I've just ordered one so will see how that goes.

thanks Steve

Steve

Are you leaving the car out or is it garaged presumably you could remove the rotor arm that should stop the random visitor. I used the screw type battery disconnect about £5.00/10.00 once on just unscrew the screw part obviously to get to the front boot they would need entry to the car first. Used to leave it attached to a solar panel at the same time to keep the battery topped up.

Another thing which is a good one is a removable steering wheel doubt if they've got one of those tucked up their shirt.

Glad you joined DDK there lots of professionals attached to that site.

Steve

Sounds like good ideas Steve - though I'm thinking something more conventional like an immobiliser for convenience. Any good/bad experiences out there?

dont fit an electronic alarm / immoboliser etc to an early car

Whenever there have been breakdowns, cars refusing to start it seems ot be from an after market alaarm / imob hacked into the original wiring loom

Plenty of 'old school' ways .. basic end is get a good steering wheel lock as this is a great deterent + actually does work, then fit a removable key type battery isolator and keep the key in the house / with you .. then you're into removing the rotor arm as suggested earlier

BUT .... The cars that have been nicked, appear to have been lifted onto a flat bed and taken away ... not much you can do about that no matter what devise is fitted. If in London, do you have access to garaging ?

thanks for the tips hot66. Can you recommend a good steering lock and battery isolator - sorry for probably rather basic questions - I'm a newbie to all this. thanks

steering lock, whatever is out there that will fit a 400m steering wheel .. I have one bought probabally 10 - 15 years ago now that covers the whole wheel and prevents the wheel being turn

Battery isolators can be bought from any good motorsport supplier or from Frost .. depends if you want a big red handle to carry around with you or a little knured metal screw

isolator_fuse.jpg

For others opinions, ask on DDK as there are quite a few who live in London & keep their cars on teh street

Hi Again.

If you have a garage get one of those lockable poles and erect it inside the garage just inside the door/doors. I have one, easy to fit and about 50.00 (you'll need a decent masonry bit. its all additional bits to deter. Dont forget to lay it down before you reverse out !!!!
If you go to your local neighbourhood police officer or PCSO they may help with a shed alarm. Very cost effective you may not hear it yourself but they will (the theives) it works on a grenade pin pull out, ***** to put back in, and the noise is ear bleeding.

steve

I use a Disklok on mine with a bag cover that fits in the boot when not in use.

It depends on how much, you want to spend and how far you want to go.

Out of sight in a garage is the best.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back