Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 4S - the next classic 911?

petefm10

I hear talk that the next 911 classic will be the 996 4S (coupe and/or cab'). Because it's the pick of the 996 bunch in terms of looks and sensible power v engineering I think it will be. It will take some time yet perhaps but history shows the way for the 4S series.
It's a far better car than the 993 4S - and they go for twice the price at the moment!

Pete

Unlikely, only Turbo and GT cars in 996 series will ever appreciate, I think the best a 996 4S could ever hope for is to hold its value. The 4S looked good, and engineering was good, bar the engine, which was.... Not good. Which is where it fails completely when compared with the 993.

Who knows...i doubt most predicted 993 values and then 964's would go the way they would?

Agree though, the 996 is cheap for a reason...I've bought mine and hope that it's price is 'settling' at the bottom before remaining at the point at the very least.

We shall see...

Ben

petefm10 said:
It's a far better car than the 993 4S - and they go for twice the price at the moment!

Pete

Ah, but what were once monthly threads, then became weekly threads, and now, today, this very week, there are daily threads on 996/7 engine failures.

Now...

Go find a thread in the past year where a 993 engine has self destructed.
:dont know:

That's why they are twice the price, they are the last 911 that was famous for all the right reasons.
8)

How many miles does a 993 see in a year compared to a 996 though?

Without a doubt it's the best looking porsche around.

The rear is just incredible

The look from front to rear is staggering good .

So a 996 C4S is the best by far ok exception maybe a 996 TT

But hey comfort , looks , service cost

Every porsche is an ultimate car , but some have presence

The C4S has this as so do others

So watch this space

Investment now will result in no loss at all

clarkycat said:
petefm10 said:

Pete

Ah, but what were once monthly threads, then became weekly threads, and now, today, this very week, there are daily threads on 996/7 engine failures.

Now...

Go find a thread in the past year where a 993 engine has self destructed.
:dont know:

That's why they are twice the price, they are the last 911 that was famous for all the right reasons.
8)
so buy a 996 4s and have the change to buy two complete £10K engines, or buy a 993 4s... I'm only messing and having a giggle.. but I have to say the 996 4s are starting to rise a little in price, and the Turbo is a great car .... but i will say it agian.. it's a tad too much (too quick and too much power) for most, the C4s is just right for more people.. it's still quick and "not too quick".. it has nice long gears...my wife drives my n/a 996, I wouldent let her near a turbo.. and I dont think I'm on my own saying that.

Mole said:
How many miles does a 993 see in a year compared to a 996 though?
Great point, done 6k in the last 8 weeks in mine, and I have really driven it well too, no pokeing around at 29 mph and in all weathers.. never missed a beat, had the back out a bit too !!! :D

Have to agree. Non bias. I've bought mine as a bi-daily and it goes so well and being n/assperated, you get that vundabar sound only a porsche makes dropping slots from 3rd to 2nd to raise to momentum.

A porsche is a porsche. Everyone on here will double take be it 2000MY boxster or not (ok, pushing it I know :wack: - remember, that it and the cayenne saved our 911 butts).

On a recent passing trip to the factory, the 996's 4S is used as the show model in the latest €80 'sounds of porsche' , an A3 sized hardback book. With its broad classic design rear end, the 4S just looks really great polished up and parked or when passing by. Not great from one or two angles, but I'd easily say that about other models (with exception of a 997.2 GT3 RS)

I've bought one with the best possible provenance in mind. So hopefully it'll hold still in price, rise a wee bit or auto utopia; not lose me anything. As Terry Tibbs would say, Beauuuutiful.

And equally, sorted Gen 2 models creeping to and over the £24,000 asking price. First time since 2010 if I'm right?...

Haters always going to hate!

I no longer love mine, but still like it, my thoughts are taken more and more by a 997 T.

I think the rubbish engine has put paid to any 996 NA becoming a bona fide classic.

I had a 4s for a while... and they look lovely. But in reality its just a a boggo carrera in a party frock.

As more and more 996 cars get either sorted ( Hartech etc ) or scrapped the really good ones will stand out.
Agreed the gt/turbo will always be more desirable, but I cant see many current 996 owners losing too much money long term.
There are plenty of older cars from other manufacturers now deemed desirable classics that at one time suffered from an reputation for poor reliability.

I can see the 996 4S being a future classic, assuming of course that the engine has been sorted out properly by Hartech or similar.

The main issue on the pre 996 cars appears to be rust. Is this just due to age or is it that they fundamentally changed either processes, materials or design to stop this being an issue on later cars? I would have thought that a pre-emptive engine rebuid on a 996 4S would cost a similar amount to sorting out common rust problems on a 993 or earlier car. After which the car should be good to go on for ever.

I have heard the 993 described as 'The last of the rusty 911s', but is this really true? What has been said about the frequency of 996 engine blowup threads could probably be levelled at the 993 for bodywork. A quick look at the first page of the 993 forum and I can see 3 threads which appear to be about rust. On the 996 forum there are 3 regarding engines, although 2 of these are relating to preventative maintenance.

I do certainly think that there is a stigma attached to the 996 due to the engine problems, which can be sorted out. The 993 has escaped this, I assume it is because all old cars rust. Except for course for the Honda NSX.

MC

Have to admit, and I appreciate that I will probably be in the minority here, but I don't actually like the c4s.

I don't like the body kit, nor the red stripe/hallmark.

If anything was going to be a classic, it would be the plain old C2. But dogged engine problems out pay to that!

Whilst I've got a C4 and would love to say its a classic, due to the 4wd, it isn't really. Dare i say, it's a safe Porsche.

The C4s is just a c4 with a "heavy" body kit.

No offence to the c4s owners but if I wanted a car with the show that matched the go, I'd be in a turbo. Not an aesthetic wannabe.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back