Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which Becker

Prattie

Trainee
Been following a few threads on radios etc and as I have a modern Sony fitted , not a good one, thinking I should revert to correct spec.

Knowing Porsche always used to work on the basis that what was on the shelf was what was fitted there seems to be a few Beckers mentioned.
Cars a ,96 c2

What's correct really and of the models which is the one to aim for.

Steve

I'm in a similar position so interested to hear the collective wisdom.

Not fixed on original spec, just something that looks 'right' and works well.

Beckers

I've had just about every model
Traffic High Speed, ok but a bit dated
Mexico and Indianapolis, Indianapolis Pro, look perfect and work well
Cascade the last model, high spec but display doesn't blend as well.
My favorite is the Indianaplois Pro with Amber display:- Sat Nav, Bluetooth and Ipod control (need special lead, pricey).
Currently using Cascade in the 993 and Indianapolis Pro in 944

Attachments

• cascade_760.jpg
    cascade_760.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 10,946
.......Or the Indianapolis Pro the chap from eBay was selling @ £49 :eek: Dont know if he has any left but the illuminati from here all bought one :thumb:

ETA: He does indeed have some more :grin: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251611284510

You may be presently surprised what you receive :sleepy: (Some actually have the mapping disc in the CD bay - Ask PeterS)

Re: Beckers

Endoman said:
I've had just about every model
Traffic High Speed, ok but a bit dated
Mexico and Indianapolis, Indianapolis Pro, look perfect and work well
Cascade the last model, high spec but display doesn't blend as well.
My favorite is the Indianaplois Pro with Amber display:- Sat Nav, Bluetooth and Ipod control (need special lead, pricey).
Currently using Cascade in the 993 and Indianapolis Pro in 944

I have the Indianapolis Pro with Itouch connection very good and with amber display offers the perfect look. Only criticism would be the telephone operation, which although very good and easy to use does not de3al with the phone directory as well as my BMW. But considering the age difference I suppose that is inevitable.

Up graded map discs are still available if required.

Not much else to say.
Michael

I'm going to get lynched for saying this... but I don't really get the point of staying with an outdated HU. If you are pairing it with a modern smartphone why not use a modern HU?

The illumination on mine is variable and can be set to an identical orange glow to the rest of the dash and it pairs immaculately with my phone so I can use TomTom on that, talking through the stereo, playing music off the phone or SD card in the back of the HU.

Whilst £50 for one of those Beckers seems cheap, they are ancient in hifi-terms...they are not even guaranteed to work!

Sorry - I know that won't go down well... I'm hiding behind the sofa now!

My 96 C4 came with a Blaupunkt Munchen CD. works ok and looks the part. I don't want phone in the car. It's not Hi Fi , and the 993 is a bad starting point if you want top quality sound , I'm not prepared to fit amps and cables and speakers etc for the rare occasion I put a cd on. Re the sat nav I use a Garmin and just do a map update now and again, the sat nav in the Becker units works but I'm not sure how you would go about updating the maps.

Doctorima said:
My 96 C4 came with a Blaupunkt Munchen CD. works ok and looks the part. I don't want phone in the car. It's not Hi Fi , and the 993 is a bad starting point if you want top quality sound , I'm not prepared to fit amps and cables and speakers etc for the rare occasion I put a cd on. Re the sat nav I use a Garmin and just do a map update now and again, the sat nav in the Becker units works but I'm not sure how you would go about updating the maps.

Would agree with all of that. Does it get the cricket? Will it let you know of a hold-up via RDS traffic? Check both and I'm OK. Only regret I have is slinging all those cassettes away... £25.00 on eBay and you are done. My Blaupunkt looks the business. I have a spare one - without the keycode...

With the 993's cr@p aerial and speakers - IMO - you are starting off on a massive job to get it sorted out. The Becker is only the beginning.

Each to their own! I certainly see the appeal of the HU looking like it matches the rest of the car. The original unit had long-gone before I got my 993, so it took me seconds to decide to replace all speakers and HU. I'm a gadget-geek and love the upgrade bug of my home hifi, so why should my car be different?. No amp yet, but that may follow. Very unlikely to ever get a sub-woofer, not my style at all (although it could sound great).

I did see a firm who are putting modern kit into retro-looking HU's - now that could be the best of both worlds... I shall Google that now!
http://www.motor-klassik.de/bilder/...es-porsche-radio-auf-alt-gemacht-2927575.html

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Tobesetc said:
Sorry - I know that won't go down well... I'm hiding behind the sofa now!

:hand: Too right chum that's a shite suggestion putting a modern gadget in the 'Last of the air-cooled'. You got to feel the tradition and the history, smell the oil and hear the glorious engine note through the 'refined' trumpets.

You may be one of the very few that spends a lot of time in their 993 as most are only used on the odd day after a call in to the BBC weather station for a prediction of inclement weather :grin: My radio looks like it is part of the dash, it should be there even though I very rarely turn it on. If the radio/CD works that's good enough for me.

I too like gadgets but if I wanted them in my car I'd have a modern vehicle.

BTW out of (I think) all those who've bought the £49 Becker they have worked :grin: It might be pot luck but for that price its worth a punt especially as they will realise £150+ when he has sold them all :whistle: There is demand for them. Odd I know

That Porsche option HU is rubbish. Its sits proud of the dash, the display is hard to read givne the distance from the driver and most who have bought on here have taken them out and sold them :nooo:

I don't get this 'can't have a good sound in a 993/964 etc' i changed my components in the front doors and reused the oe grills and changed the HU for a VDO unit and the sound is superb. A Nova driver would be disappointed but he/she is not my benchmark.

Jcx said:
I don't get this 'can't have a good sound in a 993/964 etc' i changed my components in the front doors and reused the oe grills and changed the HU for a VDO unit and the sound is superb. A Nova driver would be disappointed but he/she is not my benchmark.

I like the VDO unit but I heard from my guy that you cannot get it any more. Is that correct?

Prattie said:
Been following a few threads on radios etc and as I have a modern Sony fitted , not a good one, thinking I should revert to correct spec.

Knowing Porsche always used to work on the basis that what was on the shelf was what was fitted there seems to be a few Beckers mentioned.
Cars a ,96 c2

What's correct really and of the models which is the one to aim for.

Steve

Don't throw away the Sony though - you will probably find it is the original item :eek:
See rottenbend's post on this page:
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82158&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back