Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 10W-60 oil for 993's........ So, will you?

Citori

Oh no! another oil thread I hear you cry! :eek:

Have you read the following thread in the 993 FAQ section?

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=33143

It would seem that Porsche are now marketing a recommended oil for classic air cooled Porsche's.
The one specifically for the 964/993 is a 10W-60.

So the question is, will you be specifying 10W-60 oil at the next change? :?:
The way I understand it, if you have it serviced at an OPC that's what you will get?
I can't say that I will be buying the Porsche product which is retailing at over £65 +vat for 5 litres (so you will need two for an oil change) But I may try an OEM product.

ATB
Steve.

My guy has been using Castrol Edge 10w60 since I bought the car a few years ago and we used 10w60 in my 964 turbo before that although admittedly that had more than 400horse so wasn't exactly stock.

Incidentally GTone use 10w 60.

Now where are those 5w40 boys :dont know:

Dream911 said:
Now where are those 5w40 boys :dont know:

One over here :wave:

I like the low viscosity at the low temperature of start up. But the Porsche formulation looks very interesting and more than a little tempting. :thumb:

FYI Just did oil change to 10w-60 Mobil cost £40 per 5ltrs from Halfords in my 964 ,all good ,motor sounds great :thumb:

I'm pretty damn sure OPC Swindon filled mine with Castrol Edge Professional 0-40.

wozy said:
I'm pretty damn sure OPC Swindon filled mine with Castrol Edge Professional 0-40.

You mean you didn't ask? :wack: :D

Goose said:
wozy said:

You mean you didn't ask? :wack: :D

Lol, I did, but its a few months back. I remember I wanted something semi synthetic as she has been run on Shell for years, but previously it hasn't been 0-40 (I've moved OPC)

I've suddenly sprung an offside lower valve cover leak and it was pretty bad. I wonder if 0-40 is a bit thinner. :dont know:

I'm sure they also told me it was semi synthetic. I'll have to check the paperwork.

I don't see running 10/60 in the summer a problem as long as your getting up to temp & a good spanking and no short stop/start stuff.. :thumb:

Mine was filled with the Mobil 1 10w60 today, will be interesting to see how she runs, 60 SAE at this time of year is a bit hefty.

I was swayed by how Mobil describe their products, they put more in the way of spec sheets out there too. Initially I was going with their 10w40 semi, but went with the 10w60 as it seems to stack up well for our engines with its the seal conditioners, resistance to moisture and acid, shear strength, zddp etc.

Very similar attributes to how the Porsche Classic 10w60 is positioned except they don't publish specs and charge ~£70/5 ltr versus £40 the Mobil 1 cost me at Halfords today (20% off) :thumb:

MJA911 said:
Mine was filled with the Mobil 1 10w60 today, will be interesting to see how she runs, 60 SAE at this time of year is a bit hefty

Don't you mean "10w-" :?:

Because that's the cold start (winter) viscosity.

Operating temp viscosity ("-60") will be the same year round (or your cooling is shot).

You'd be insane to run a classic car on 0w-40 (and I know that's what the manual says, but that was for a new car, not a 20 year old one).

I've always used 0w40 on my 993 but when I recently had the car serviced at Jaz Motorsport, they recommended I changed to 5w40, which is what they used. Car is now sounding and running a lot smoother admittedly. But is 10w60 a significant improvement?

(sorry my knowledge on oil types is minimal at best)

I've always used 0w40 on my 993 but when I recently had the car serviced at Jaz Motorsport, they recommended I changed to 5w40, which is what they used. Car is now sounding and running a lot smoother admittedly. But is 10w60 a significant improvement?

(sorry my knowledge on oil types is minimal at best)

As a car is more "worn in" shall we say, it needs more buffering from its internal surfaces (ie thicker oil).

Arguably, the less it is used the thicker the oil the better (for residual protection).

I shall be having 10w60 for my third 993 service next month.

One major benefit is how much quieter (AKA more refined) the engine sounds.

I don't mean the nice sounds, like induction and exhaust, but nasty sounds like rattles or jingling (sorry, neither a great description, not least as it's not really a rattle, but just not a solid or fluid sounding noise).

10w60 makes the engine sound as if it too, is honed from granite.

Technically a minor increase in emissions, a minor increase in fuel consumption and a minor power loss may all or part occur with thicker oil, but my car has long since moved from the realms of street racing, the EU can get stuffed and I have shares in ExxonMobil.

GT4 said:
MJA911 said:
Mine was filled with the Mobil 1 10w60 today, will be interesting to see how she runs, 60 SAE at this time of year is a bit hefty

Don't you mean "10w-" :?:

Because that's the cold start (winter) viscosity.

Operating temp viscosity ("-60") will be the same year round (or your cooling is shot).

You'd be insane to run a classic car on 0w-40 (and I know that's what the manual says, but that was for a new car, not a 20 year old one).

Yes absolutely I mean "10w-" and "60" just observing that at the time of year my operating temp may not reach as higher temperature as in the summer and therefore the 60 part of the range will mean a it will be thicker?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back