Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Why so cheap???

kmadsen68

Have owned 2 964's and loved them but as I moved around I unfortunately sold them. I love the Porsche 911 and looking to get an older one as the 964 is getting more and more expensive and kind of like the older models.

BUT WHY ARE THEY SO CHEAP?

Why can you pick up a 1970 911 Targa in good condition for about GBP 10k when a 964 is 20k etc... Is there any reason why they have no appreciated so much in value as the newer 964 and especially 993 (last air cooled probably did some of this).

I love the older 911's but are there big reliability issues (unheard of for Porsche normally for older models) or what gives???

Any comments on the subject highly appreciated.

Thx :)

Not a clue, but I'd guess that corrosion has a big impact on resale value of these older cars. I don't know anyone who uses such an old car as a daily driver - they probably do a couple of thousand miles a year and that's it.

But I will wacth for other replies to further my quest to understand the topic of older marques.

let me know where you can get a long hood targa for 10k and i will snap it up,

Think you will find any of the early cars are rising accordingly

Gazc2 said:
let me know where you can get a long hood targa for 10k and i will snap it up,

Think you will find any of the early cars are rising accordingly

Indeed :hand:

A 1970s 911 for £10k I'd estimate another £15k-£20k to recommission it. It's a bit like that movie 'What lies beneath' :nooo:

Been there, £10k car + £20k Resto costs = £20k car.
:?

I would PAY £10k NOT to own a £10k old 911.

Then I'd still have my £20k in the bank, and my missus.

:thumb:

Thx for all the comments. Really appreciate it.

What would be a "sensible" buy today? Below 15-20k, low maintenance costs, good appreciate value - just a weekend driver needed...

Would it be a SC from around 1980 or a cheap 964 if one could find one?

Any good suggestions? (and not into the 996 - also, think it will continue to depreciate, and not appreciate for a long time)...

As already mentioned its partly due to rust, Targa's that haven't been looked after are particularly prone to leaks from the targa soft top. Also Targa's have always played underdog to coupe's which means that they are valued less and therefore owners tend to shy away from spending what is needed to keep them in good condition. Older cars generally require more body work due to rust. You might have more luck with 80's pre G50 models.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back