Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Charging an iPhone

Silverstone
Guys/and Gals
I have C2S Cab and flattened my iPhone whilst stuck on M25 ( lovely road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) this afternoon. I thought no worries .... connected it to the USB connector in the centre armrest and expected it to charge ................... Oh Nooooooo it doesn't charge ..... Question is () should it and or how should the connection be made. Image

It should charge via the USB but it doesn't charge via the multi plug that is designed for the iPhone, so you can listen to music or charge but not both :what:

Rickyneil
Are you saying that the multi cable that is supplied with the car will only allow playing and will not allow the phone to charge ( when connected phone to USB on the multi cable )

I have the Porsche iPod 'integration' - i.e. the AUX/iPod/USB connectors in the armrest plus Porsche-supplied Y-cable from USB/iPod to the 32-pin connector.

I have an (old HD-based) iPod int he armrest permanently, and it charges fine.

If I plug my iPhone 4S into the 32-pin, it charges fine also (and I can listen to music).

I have also just tried an Apple USB to 32-pin cable in just the USB port connected to the iPhone 4S and it still charges fine.

Are you using 100% authentic cables/connectors?

As many folks will know, non-Apple kit may not work: my wife had a generic cigarette lighter USB adapter and it would NOT charge her iPhone, even using the Apple cable. The reason is that Apple do not use ONLY the USB +ve and GND connections, they also require specific voltages at BOTH DATA pins! I had to modify the adapter to put these voltages on the data pins and then it worked fine.

All .....
I have found that if I plug the iphone into the Porsche "y" connector, I have to plug both the USB and the other connector in .... this then appears to charge the phone and allow music/DAB radio to be played through the PCM V3 interface ...... I didn't realise I had to plug both cable ends into their sockets, I presumed the phone would charge just via the USB port.

Thanks to all who helped

Image said:
Rickyneil
Are you saying that the multi cable that is supplied with the car will only allow playing and will not allow the phone to charge ( when connected phone to USB on the multi cable )

In my car yes, it will play back music but does not charge, it is PCM 3 with the universal plugs in the armrest. The lead was given to me by the salesman at the OPC when I bought the car, so I would hope it is genuine!

If I connect the Apple lead via the USB then it charges but doesn't play music. Even my wife's 2 and a half year old Qashqai can play music via Bluetooth without the need for a lead, it also plays music via the Apple lead to USB.

Should I try an authentic Apple lead? Have the OPC given me a duff one :?

rickyneil said:
Image said:
Rickyneil

In my car yes, it will play back music but does not charge, it is PCM 3 with the universal plugs in the armrest. The lead was given to me by the salesman at the OPC when I bought the car, so I would hope it is genuine!

If I connect the Apple lead via the USB then it charges but doesn't play music. Even my wife's 2 and a half year old Qashqai can play music via Bluetooth without the need for a lead, it also plays music via the Apple lead to USB.

Should I try an authentic Apple lead? Have the OPC given me a duff one :?

Couple of things:
1. The PCM will only play via BT if you use an A2DP adapter such as Tune2Air
2. Not sure that there is an 'authentic Apple' lead for the car - the genuine OPC article should work, provided both USB and iPod connections are OK.

Does sound like a possible duff USB bit of the Y-lead since the Apple USB - 32pin charges the iPhone from the USB socket in the car (so nothing wrong with USB SOCKET and also you can play music so nothing wrong with iPod SICKET or that bit of the Y-lead.)

My lead just has the multi plug on one end and the apple connection on the other, it does not have a split to the USB as well.

I know this is an old thread, but just to be really clear:

The black Porsche cable has to be plugged in to the USB socket AND the round multi pin socket AT THE SAME TIME to charge and play music.

I had it plugged in only to the multi pin socket, and wondered why not charging - my USB socket has a USB stick in it full of music!

Live and learn.

Good timed thread revival

I have the y shaped porsche connector, and have an old ipod plugged in. The music on my iphone 5 is from a different account, and sometimes I want to play the music on my phone through the car.

Presumably I need to get some kind of connector that converts the ipod connector on the porsche lead to the much smaller iphone 5 one? If so, any recommendations?

:thumb:

davidjf7 said:
Presumably I need to get some kind of connector that converts the ipod connector on the porsche lead to the much smaller iphone 5 one? If so, any recommendations?

You need the 30 pin to lightening adapter [MD823ZM/A], see pic.

If anyone needs the Porsche Y connector [Part No 997 612 471 02], pm me.
I have one for sale £25 inc p&p.

Attachments

• iphone_adapter_1_194.jpg
    iphone_adapter_1_194.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 6,795
Tbrown is correct but you may want to consider the cabled version (official apple product) as there isn't much room in the cubby to fit the phone in once everything is attached. IIRC it is about the same price for either type of adaptor.

Attachments

• cable_176.jpg
    cable_176.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 6,760
Thanks chimp, good tip :thumb:

Have already ordered the one tbrown recommended, so will see how I get on with that. If it's all too cramped I'll get the cable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back