Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice on potential new purchase please

wilpert

Indianapolis
I have seen a 1995 - 993 C2 manual that seems to be priced "reasonably" and im being offered a fair px price on my Cayman 3.4s so price works for me.

I would have a porsche inspection to see if there are any issues that i wouldnt see myself but i would really appreciate a bit of advice on the bits that i do know will need to be done.

these are:

the fabric hood has 2 small holes, (where it creases on the fold near where your head would be when driving) can this be repaired or would it mean a new hood and if so ideas of cost - the hood is blue?

the windscreen surround has a couple (smaller than thumbnail) bubbles, where there could be a bit of rust lurking, I know this is common but is it potentially an expensive fix?

FWIW the car is 107k and has good history, price 25k
Also non varioram?

Rust around the windscreen is common. Windscreen out job and see what you have, some good, some bad.

What about price does it seem reasonable for the model/year/mileage etc.?
i know that future spend should also factor into the equation but if its basically sound and checks out mechanically, does 24,750 sound about right?

If it all checks out it's an ok price.

I'ld be asking amongst other things

Does it have A/C, does it work?
Are the wheels stock?
hardback seats?

Plus a full inspection.

Haggle.

thanks for reply,
it does have air con and he had regassed but it gradually failed so he said he would sort it prior to sale. (maybe id ask for some sort of guarantee that it works for at least a month after purchase)

Wheels are refurbed but look good, id check em out but they do look original.

front end had a bit of a respray but original bonnet sticker remains, tbh he said it haid some faded and crazed paint laquer on bumper so had it sprayed - im not over fussed about this on a car this age.

Interior looks generally clean grey seats with black backs? some cracking and a bit of wear but 19 yo car?

Carpets ok, few scuffs but not faggy or too nasty.

hood has 2 small holes, im thinking a new hood required, would lift the look and ensure the car could be driven in winter?

if you care to look its on qualitycars epping, i think you could google that and see the ad http://www.qcars.co.uk/used-cars/porsche-911-2dr-epping-201406275362160

Really appreciate your input.

Plus - hes prepared to pay a reasonable price for my Cayman s 43 k miles 2006 manual 15k?

Id be appreciative if you looked at the ad and gave feedback :)

Ta

It's got hardback seats which when black are worth £3k on their own :thumb:

Porsche radio not a bling keister model implying a sensible owner who has tried to keep it stock.

Looks tidy. Wheels are probably solid turbo twists but if not there's a few £I wrapped up in them.

Scuttle repaint common so expect £1k to sort. Front PU bumper will have had paint they all have given the age.

Don't know roof cost I'd go for a full one. Southbound may advise but expect £1k+

AC is either a condenser which is £200 to sort or words case evaporator at £200 + 10 hrs labour to get to it :what: possible bargaining pitch?

Cab prices are all over the place so I'm not going yo speculate but look across eBay/PH etc to see the range.

Personally I'd sell the seats at some point and replace with comforts for £500 that way you've got some money back. HB seats in cabs are rare and increasing all the time and the money you get would never be realised by leaving them in when you eventually sell.

Thanks for the input,
Should I haggle downwards given the present issues that Im aware of and then if I do the deal, get the works done post purchase or would I be better off agreeing the deal subject to seller sorting out the A/C and possible roof or would it be money well spent if I spend a few quid a a full inspection and then haggle - although I feel it likely that having done a few quid getting it looked over, Im sort of committed?

All a dilemma for me but im getting tempted subject to SWMBO but Ive just bought her a RR sport so she owes me :lol:

Personally you may find you can live without AC but if it's fitted and not working get something knocked off. That's a job that can be put off and if the evaporator best left to someone who knows what they're doing. Just check you get. Hot/cold fans and flaps work as this is expensive to fix. The blower fans are c£300 a piece.

Roof can probably be patched but can they match the colour as it will have faded from new and a new complete roof will look the dogs. Haggle down and get it sorted yourself at your leisure by the right people :thumb:

agreed re the roof, tbh the price seems Ok ish and I know that i could possible get a keener deal in winter but thats only maybe. Id be budgeting about a grand for the roof and as you said it will look pretty good with a new roof.

Perhaps I will return tomorrow, have a go at haggling and then say that my best price is subject to an inspection, then I need to find somebody who can give it the A to Z treatment in London/Essex?
i will also ask about clutch and last major service MOT advisories etc.

i feel the depreciation due to over 100k has probably already happened so any miles now wouldnt make too much impact on future value.

Personally if it checks out, I'ld want the a/c working and 10% off asking.

HP Motorsport in Hainault for oily bits,
Great trimmer in South St Romford.

sday12 said:
Personally if it checks out, I'ld want the a/c working and 10% off .

:hand: we can all dream that one. I'm sure the dealer will inform any prospective buyers it's "the last of the air cooled"

Dealer has missed a trick. I'd have whipped out the seats bought a grey set off the bay for £400 and still ask the same price. Dealer gets 'Nessy' to spray them up in black for £100 and then sells them to a 993 owner who covets the holy grail to park his corduroys for £3k :grin:

Zingari said:
sday12 said:
......... then sells them to a 993 owner who covets the holy grail to park his corduroys for £4k :grin:

I've corrected that for you, keep up :bandit:

IMHO seems a bit pricey to me considering it's got faults. Think you are being lurred into it by a good p/x price. Why do you think you are getting that??? Think you could do better if you could be patient. Think how many 1000's its going to cost to get it perfect??? 911v sold a 30000 miles cab a few months ago for 30k.

My 993 cab that I bought 3 months ago has a similar spec to this car (black, hardbacks, a/c and hollow wheels....92k miles). Read the options list carefully to make sure that the sports seats and wheels etc are factory ordered......I viewed a number of cabs and most were fairly standard in terms of spec.

If the car has a/c it needs to work before you buy (mine cost c.£550 to fix)

I think the price is fair for trade......if history stacks up and they fix up broken bits.....however, only after the inspection will you be able to assess what the car will really cost to make right!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back