Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Prices of 996T and 997Ts will soon be crossing over

T8

Super Moderator
More and more late, below average mileage, 996 Turbos are starting to appear in ads asking for more than £30k. Some are even £35k.

Depreciation of 997 Turbos has slowed considerably in the last 12 months but soon some will soon be available for c£35k. This got me wondering ........ what will generally be seen as most desirable - A 2004 996T or a similar history/mileage/condition 2006 997T? :dont know:

I personally can't see that average condition/mileage 996Ts will be worth more than a comparable 997T in the short term but in 5 years time who knows. :?:

I'll have to start practising my "first of the watercooled Turbos" advertising patter. :grin:

T8 said:
I personally can't see that average condition/mileage 996Ts will be worth more than a comparable 997T in the short term but in 5 years time who knows. :?:

As desirable well made sports cars age the difference between upgrades and cosmetic changes to appearance become less important in terms of value IMO. As they age the driving factor on value/price will be condition and mileage. So you would expect to see a pristine 996T score higher in price terms than a shabby 997T.

Or try "forged from the DNA of the Le Mans winning GT1 race car - the last of the true Mezger" (bar the 997 Gen 1 Turbo)

Then you can call yourself "Hawkeye - The last of the Mohicans!"

PZero - yes, for sure it will all revolve around history, mileage and condition. We can see already that a 2002 996 Turbo can be advertsied for more than a 2003/2004 car based on mileage, history and condition.

The 996 is not trying to look like a 993.Porsche certainly back pedalled with the 997 styling.

Also to my eyes the 996 interior is far more traditional than the 997 and that is a big plus for me.It looks like a 911.

Pound for pound the 997 offers little more and according to some the 996 is more pleasing to drive and offers better feedback which in this age of driver aids is something we will continue to crave.

The 996 is coming of age and the market is backing this up.

I for one can see no advantage to change my 996 Turbo for a 997 Turbo.

I did a quick search on PH's for 2002/2003 996 Turbo X50 Manual with 30k miles max. Not one car. The nearest is a coupe 34k miler manual for private sale and a coupe 36k miler tiptronic through a dealer in London priced respectively at £34,995 and £33,950.

So prices seem to be creeping up as stock is few and demand is rising.

I don't want to attract a side debate along the lines of "there's what a car is advertised at, and there's what a car sells for" or "those guys will sell at those prices when Mars is on the cusp of Venus with Jupiter rising."

I'm just sharing an observation that high demand, combined with low supply for good clean low mileage examples is seeming to push prices upwards. The 997 Turbo though is going the other way - downwards.

Excluding the dogs, most 996/early 997 model prices are recovering now as people don't want to pay the 991 premium, esp on a std car which hardly has 20bhp more than the std 997 and where a good 997 GTS and turbo can now be had for a lot less than a 991.

Well cared for 996/7's turbo's and GT's will be the primary ones to gain the most £traction.

Never forget that the 996/997's were also the last of the "true" Porsche's before VAG took over and messed up the 911(in some area's).

As a drivers car/a car to own there is virtually nothing else for £30/40k that can touch a 996/997 and this budget is a sweet spot for 911 ownership.

That comment about value for £30k/£40k is so true.

I'd like a Ferrari Modena (Coupe/Manual/Rosso with Crema interir) c2001/2002 and a good example with 30k miles is still commanding £51k-£52k.

I have some way to go to save up to have the 996 Turbo AND the Ferrari!

pzero said:
As desirable well made sports cars age the difference between upgrades and cosmetic changes to appearance become less important in terms of value IMO. As they age the driving factor on value/price will be condition and mileage. So you would expect to see a pristine 996T score higher in price terms than a shabby 997T.

All perfectly valid points and IMO the crossover between a pristine 996T and a shabby 997T is imminent BUT the point I'm wondering is if/when a similar condition/ mileage (but obviously older) 996T will be valued higher than a 997T.

At the moment any 993T is worth considerably more than a similar mileage/condition 996T. I'm certain that the 996T will never increase in value the way the 993T has done but might it, one day, become more sought after than the newer car? :dont know:

T8 said:
At the moment any 993T is worth considerably more than a similar mileage/condition 996T. I'm certain that the 996T will never increase in value the way the 993T has done but might it, one day, become more sought after than the newer car? :dont know:
Perhaps we'll only know the answer to that question when the 996T is two generations away from the current?

Personally, I think the 996 styling is starting to look retro, hovering on the future classic. I like the look, even the lights. The one thing the 997 has in it's favour is that it apes the 993, and a little the 964 (stop heckling and hear me out), and is able to distinguish itself more clearly from the 987 variant where the 996 cannot distinguish itself so easily from the 986 variant.

I for one believe it would be eminently sensible to access a 997T when the average prices drop below the equivalent average price of a 996T. Especially if it passes the mileage AND condition test. :thumb:

Oddly the gap between the 997 NA cars and the 997T is shrinking where the gap to the 997 GT cars appears to be widening. Historically there appears to have been at least 40% to 50% difference in price, as there should be, but a C4S, albeit a great car, should never ever be anywhere near less than 30% than an equivalent 997T.

And i just went to my indie and he had just purchased 2 Insurance write offs, both were manuals, so that is 2 less in the world??? (i estimate at least 2-3 a month are being written off around the globe???)

Mine is a black manual x50 with 79899 miles on the clock but full history, full engine rebuild by porsche surrey at 59000 miles at £16k cost (previous owner) and in totally pristine condition. i personally can only see prices rise but slowly. the right car for the right person is always going to sell and a 996tt will be a future classic imho??? CALL ME STUPID but with all the work and receipts for what i have done, i would not let the car go for anything less than £30+k let alone in the future!!!

I think the standard fsh low milage cars will be the ones but there will also be a market for properly modified or styled examples, gt3 seats, carbon touches, 380 mm / 6 pot brakes, blemish free bodywork

"Personally, I think the 996 styling is starting to look retro, hovering on the future classic."

+ what he said :thumb:

The mezger engine is the last of the true dry sump engines and has a race pedigree history unmatched by any rival marque. The following n/a engines (bar GT of course) never used that block again. I think it's only recently the race cars stopped using this block. The 996 turbo also appears to be more easily tuneable. I just wonder if those headlights are going to add value to the design in coming years.

To my eyes... 996 Gen IIs were always good looking motors. I always loved the lights.

Ocean Blue said:
The mezger engine is the last of the true dry sump engines and has a race pedigree history unmatched by any rival marque. The following n/a engines (bar GT of course) never used that block again. I think it's only recently the race cars stopped using this block. The 996 turbo also appears to be more easily tuneable. I just wonder if those headlights are going to add value to the design in coming years.

The 991 RSR's stiil use the old engine and are non PDK

Bloody hell...

Have i finally gone and bought a car that might actually go up in value??

So guessing from whats been said... flogging a manual 2004 996tt with 54k, FSH and X50 shouldn't be too hard if i need to in the newer future due to work requirements!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back