Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nice daily + toy or 997 turbo?!

Denno

I currently have an Bmw M135i which i mainly use for my 30 mile daily work commute and a tuned Vx220 Turbo as a weekend toy. I have always had a thing for Porsches though, especially 911's and inparticular the 997 Turbo.

I've been pondering changing the two cars for one great daily car but do have some reservations. Running costs are not particularly a concern and budget would be £40-45k so i presume I could find a decent example in this price bracket.

My main fear is if I'd lose the sense of occasion I get from having a raw weekend car. As much as the Beemer is a great car, when it comes to driving just for the fun of it on a nice day it's the keys for the Vauxhall i take every time!

I do like the comfort and premium feel I get from driving the m-light and the performance is nothing to be sniffed at either, but t doesn't have a great sense of occasion, although the noise it makes on full chat does make up for things to a degree.

The Vx on the other hand rattles, squeaks and you feel every little bump on the road but that's kind of what makes it special, that kind of go-kart feel that you only really get from this type of car. Performance again is more than enough for road use.

I know how capable the 997 Turbo is, immensely fast, refined etc, etc, but that's where I have my slight doubt. I wonder if is it too similar to the Bmw in the sense that it's very much point and squirt and maybe not special enough when using everyday.

Have any Porsche owners done a similar swop going from running two cars to just the one? I wonder if I'd regret it or is the 997T that great a car that all would be forgotten once behind the wheel.

I'm in no rush to change as yet, only thinking out loud for the moment but would appreciate your thoughts as this is a real option to me for the future.

Denno said:
I know how capable the 997 Turbo is, immensely fast, refined etc, etc, but that's where I have my slight doubt. I wonder if is it too similar to the Bmw in the sense that it's very much point and squirt and maybe not special enough when using everyday.

:floor:

Drive one and you'll realise just how far off the mark you are. :thumb:

Take one out and brace yourself :D been driving mine for over seven years and it still takes my breath away :thumb:

The turbo is an amazing car, in no way will it be like your current dail hack. As the others have said drive one and experience the car. There will be no looking back.

I had a 997 Carrera S cab and an Audi A3 V6 3.2 Quattro, I sold them both and bought a a Turbo coupe. Never regretted it from a car choice point of view.

I still have a daily drive though, albeit a less accomplished one than the Audi now.

Here we go. I'm here to disagree with all above :grin:

I've always been a "two car" person because I want my weekend car to be "different".
I can chime in because my daily z4mc was similar in power to your m135. Although my 993 isn't quite the go cart your vx220 is.

As I was using the z daily, the 993 was and remains a sense of occasion coming out the garage. Roof down, spotlessly clean, raw, rumble, just special.
It's not about the point and squirt speed as the z4mc was quicker than the 993, it was mainly because it felt different because it wasn't used everyday.

I can also confirm the comments above as, I've driven my friends 2012 turbo S on a couple of occasions. That car is an absolute animal which made the z4mc seem average. He doesn't use his car as a daily though.

If you do go down the one car route, the novelty will soon wear off, you'll worry about parking your one and only pride and joy, and you'll soon be looking for a Bugatti Veryon to "up the buzz" for a weekend toy, whilst the turbo will be your daily. It's all relative.

:bye:

Hi

I have the 997T and seriously it is brilliant and no it is very exciting & came i from a 360 spider which is also exciting.

But i do also have my 04 Subaru Impreza sti WR1 which i tend to use more as it is just brilliant.

James

Thanks for the responses so far, certainly food for thought.

To clarify I'm not suggesting the M135i is comparable to the Porsche in terms of performance, handling etc etc, I'm merely pondering whether the 997 is the kind of car that will kill two birds with one stone, exciting enough to not need a toy, the Bmw isn't.

Just to add, question to current or past owners, is/ was your 997T your toy or daily?

Lordglenmorangie said:
OK hold my hands up was a daily drive, now a toy !

Mind you the road tax is still £500 :roll:

Bonus, I'd still be saving at £500! :)

Denno said:
To clarify I'm not suggesting the M135i is comparable to the Porsche in terms of performance, handling etc etc, I'm merely pondering whether the 997 is the kind of car that will kill two birds with one stone, exciting enough to not need a toy, the Bmw isn't.

To clarify, drive one and you'll know. :wink:

Ideal scenario would be to keep the Bmw and have a 997 Gt3 as a weekend car, but as that's a pipe dream the 997T could be the logical step. Maybe if there is a Midlands meet sometime I will try to get a look round one and maybe even get a cheeky pax ride from a friendly owner :)

Valid concerns and hard to know the answer unless you try for yourself.

My turbo S is a daily hack, a weekend toy, and a tour destroying animal but after 30000 miles and over 3 years of the mundane and insane in just one car and it is almost inevitable that the itch for something else will start to creep in...

I haven't a hope in hell of finding a better "one car fits all" replacement for a 997 turbo, as you really are getting the best all-rounder out there, but it doesn't hide the fact that running multiple cars would probably better serve my overall driving needs, and keep the itch at bay...

Having said that, the 997 turbo is a far better hack than a m135, and I imagine much more fun than a vx220 turbo :grin:

Try...and then you'll almost certainly buy :thumb:

chimp911 said:
Valid concerns and hard to know the answer unless you try for yourself.

My turbo S is a daily hack, a weekend toy, and a tour destroying animal but after 30000 miles and over 3 years of the mundane and insane in just one car and it is almost inevitable that the itch for something else will start to creep in...

I haven't a hope in hell of finding a better "one car fits all" replacement for a 997 turbo, as you really are getting the best all-rounder out there, but it doesn't hide the fact that running multiple cars would probably better serve my overall driving needs, and keep the itch at bay...

Having said that, the 997 turbo is a far better hack than a m135, and I imagine much more fun than a vx220 turbo :grin:

Try...and then you'll almost certainly buy :thumb:

Pleased your seeing my dilemma!

Agree that the 997 should be a far better daily than the m135i, only reservation without driving one yet would be if the interior of a 6/7 year old car would feel a little dated compared to a 6 month old Bmw. Maybe owners of 2007/2008 cars could shed some light on this, in general does the interior still feel tight, no squeaks, rattles etc? The actual look of the interior seems modern and contemporary still, a big step up from the 996 Imo.

As for it being much more fun than the vx, that would be impressive! :)

If your budget can stretch to it then you'll want a gen 2 car, or at the very least a gen 1 with the upgraded touch screen PCM unit, but the toys aren't anywhere near modern Beemer/Audi/merc standards. Still a nice place to be and very comfortable for long distance driving. As for fun, I defy anyone with an adrenal gland not to giggle like a little girl when that turbo thrust kicks in or when you string a few fast sweepers together :grin:

I would have loved to have kept hold of my old B7 RS4, and I'm a great admirer of the m135 but trust me, you'll soon get over it :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back