Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust rattle

saty-s

Trainee
I am getting a rattle from one of the rear tailpipes, rattle volume seems to go up and down randomly. Cannot hear it from inside the cabin. I do have the switchable exhaust too.

Any ideas anyone :?:

Cheers

(2004 C4S)

Broken tailpipe bracket maybe,or a loose heat shield.
Just had the bypass hack done on mine and noticed a Brocken tailpipe bracket, although its not rattling the Broken pieces are very close to touching which could easily cause a rattle.

Thanks for the info .... And any more on this hack, sounds interesting?
:thumb:

The hack is done on standard exhausts to recreate the sound of the switchable exhaust already fitted to your car!

So, the hack is not possible on your car and would be no benefit even if it were.

Damn and I thought mine could get louder lol

Cheers

The PSE has a relay fitted that stops the flaps from opening until after approx 40mph, you can cut a resistor in the relay that means they are open all the time (unless fully off by the switch), do a search on here and you will find the info on it, i did mine a few years back and it made a big difference to me.

Cheers for that info... Don't need to do mine as already have t the switch from factory...

Just need to try and fix the rattle now ???

The relay still stops them opening even if you have the switch, its a noise polution thing (keep the exhaust quiet in built up areas).

bigchunk999 said:
The relay still stops them opening even if you have the switch, its a noise polution thing (keep the exhaust quiet in built up areas).
Oh I see...

My money would be on a loose heatshield. The bolts corrode and fall off so makiing it rattle and/or the heatshield itself becomes corroded and breaks away from the mounting bolts.

The sort of job for an indy I'd recommend. OPC can also do it, but may be more expensive. You can ask an OPC to take a look and quote a fixed fee and then ask an indy and compare the two figures.

cheshire911 said:
My money would be on a loose heatshield. The bolts corrode and fall off so makiing it rattle and/or the heatshield itself becomes corroded and breaks away from the mounting bolts.

The sort of job for an indy I'd recommend. OPC can also do it, but may be more expensive. You can ask an OPC to take a look and quote a fixed fee and then ask an indy and compare the two figures.
Now that sounds like a plan... She is going in for some suspension work tomorrow so will ask them to have a look at the same time then.

Cheers

That was fortuitous! You may make some savings on labour combining this fix with other suspension work.

cheshire911 said:
That was fortuitous! You may make some savings on labour combining this fix with other suspension work.
Maybe a little 8)

I just spoke to the garage and he advised they did have a quick look last week when she as getting an oil service, and heatsheild was ok, and seemed that the noise/ratlle was coming from inside the box. I am trying/hoping to get a fix as do not really want to fork out for a replacement box.

Now these cars are getting older the baffles inside the box are known to come loose and rattle, the heat shields on my 996.2 are soft metal formed sheeting and I don't think they would rattle much if they became loose anyway.
The only way to stop the rattle if it is the baffles is to cut the seam on the silencer, weld up the internals and have the silencer seam welded again or buy a good used one.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back