Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Found Rust, Front Wheel Arch

cambjones

Barcelona
Should be a relatively easy fix, I might even try it my self as I have some left over Bilt Hamber anti rust products from when I did the chassis legs.

And I have some cans of primer, L3AZ paint and some clear coat..

I have all this in preparation for adding turbot ducts which need to be painted/

Do you think this is something I should tackle myself or best leave for the professionals?

I've a bit starting to poke through in the same area, only spotted it after I bought it- broke my heart that I missed it!

Given the state of my fence after painting it myself, I'll go to the pros... don't know your skill level but I'd suggest the same. It's quite a wide a area to cover...

Get it don't professionally ...... and then have them put on helicopter tape ...... works a treat ..... future problems solved ....... :)

good luck.

Thanks Madalaa

Helicopter tape... not heard of that, but after a quick google looks like a smart idea.

Any recommendations on who to take it to? I'm in the awkward SE London which seems to be equidistant from every good Porsche Independent.

Precision Porsche get a good wrap so this might be the way to go.

I think PP would be your best bet ....... thay have a good reputation ...... I will be down with them for the dreaded chassis rails a week tomorrow ....... sigh.

Good luck down there Mads.. just think all that horrible rust will be gone from your chassis legs...

Go see Jim at P3, just down the road from you in Greenwich/Chalton. He is a top paint guy, did my scuttle and front respray

cambjones said:
Good luck down there Mads.. just think all that horrible rust will be gone from your chassis legs...

..... and unfortunately all my September holiday "wedge" as well ...... I think it's going to a biggie if the engine has to be dropped and tbh it looks that way ....... :( ....... but as ever I live in hope ...... :)

Helicopter tape will help as it will provide protection to the vulnerable edges against further impact damage.

But you may well find that some of the worst corrosion is coming from the outside in especially at the bottom corner. You could be looking at some welding or, worst case, a replacement wing. I bit the bullet a couple of years ago when bubbling was coming back from under the helicopter tape - the new wing was obviously quite costly, but I felt that I would have been in a losing battle otherwise.

I would fit a new wing.It will save you in the long run.Try your skills on the one you take off and then ebay it for £200 and someone will buy it to replace their rotten one and that money goes towards the cost of the new one.I would NEVER try to repair rust when a new panel is available.If you buff the rust it makes the metal thinner and if you sand blast it then microscopic holes will appear.My 2p

I would fit a new wing.It will save you in the long run.Try your skills on the one you take off and then ebay it for £200 and someone will buy it to replace their rotten one and that money goes towards the cost of the new one.I would NEVER try to repair rust when a new panel is available.If you buff the rust it makes the metal thinner and if you sand blast it then microscopic holes will appear.My 2p
Steady there, it's not that bad. They are chipping in my area, new wing spray the whole side for a match, I don't think so.

They will have to blend in the door for colour not the full side and they will have to do that if they repair the wing anyway.But hey youre probably right,take a buff to the rust,spray some so called rust inhibitor and then paint it in the good old british fake up fashion.Make sure you take it to one of those bodyshops with the body shutz gun lying on the floor and the damp mould on the walls :thumb:

And if it's the window surround? New roof section with the front and rear scuttles.
We are talking Porsche not Cortina Mk 2.
There are body shops and there is Ninemeister and equivalent.
At that rate any 944 would be scrapped due to uneconomical repair as many have, 'cept mine.

My point in my suggestion is that I personally would ALWAYS replace a bolt on panel rather than try to repair it. The labour to repair it would be 50% of the cost of the new part.Then youre going to paint on top of paint.Im sorry I would buy new.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back