Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

For those with private plates...

Goose

Mugello
...me included!

I suppose deep down there has to be an acceptance of the underlying naffness of private plates generally. This is no doubt increased in the minds of those who believe that we do this simply to hide the age of the car - thus concealing our inability to afford a newer one. :grin:

For me, the private plate on my car is all part of the personalisation of my driving experience. The plate has come with me from car to car and now resides on my pride and joy. Above all, it's supposed to be fun and definitely not taken too seriously.

However, there is another way to think about this. With my car approaching it's 20th birthday, maybe reverting it to it's original plate would be more fitting than ever - a kind of celebration of the car's timeless nature.

Goose said:
...me included!

I suppose deep down there has to be an acceptance of the underlying naffness of private plates generally. This is no doubt increased in the minds of those who believe that we do this simply to hide the age of the car - thus concealing our inability to afford a newer one. :grin:

For me, the private plate on my car is all part of the personalisation of my driving experience. The plate has come with me from car to car and now resides on my pride and joy. Above all, it's supposed to be fun and definitely not taken too seriously.

However, there is another way to think about this. With my car approaching it's 20th birthday, maybe reverting it to it's original plate would be more fitting than ever - a kind of celebration of the car's timeless nature.

I think my turbo was first registered to a private plate and gone through several in its life with each change of owner. I'm not sure what would be the original plate in this case...

I currently run M 99E TT ( :) ) - with no funny spacing - though the car is actually N-reg.

Goose said:
...me included!

:grin:

I get private plates as the standard ones bore me: Big fat meaningless row of letters and numbers whacked on either end of the car.

It's like mindless graffiti, a clutter of characters, a legally required mess.

So I just try and get a shorter one and leave it on the car. Never a keeper so I don't have to go through the hassle of transferring it, just a shorter, neater one, with some humour or some kind of point to it. Just looks tidier and different to all the day to day cars out there.

Of course if it was a classic with a plate fifty years old then it would be desirable to have the original, but both my 911's had several plate changes prior to me owning, and the original plate is a generic assigned one.

The truth is, the people that moan about them? If you could ring up DVLA and change your plate for free, would they all be rolling round with the assigned one? Nah.

:)

I have a dateless plate on retention for many years and just cant seem to attach it to a 1997 R plate last of the air-cooled 993's :hand: :floor:

I thought about putting on the 964 but the current plate ends PTO = Porsche Tony

:floor: I know I have lost the plot !

I have a personalised private plate ....... it's N8**JCA ...... and no one else has it so it's very personal and private ....... works for me ....... :)

I have to say the only one I would have on my car would be POR 993 or C4 POR .....haha .....fat chance of either of those coming on the market for peanuts ....... so I think I will stick with mine thank you ...... ;)

Fortunately my private R plate is my name in full AND age related AND the last of the aircooled.

Win Win Win :grin:

Rialas said:
Fortunately my private R plate is my name in full AND age related AND the last of the aircooled.

:?:

I could put the car onto it's original plate and change my name by deed pole. :?: :thumb:

Rialas said:
Fortunately my private R plate is my name in full

'ish

:hand:

My c4 came with the p/o's c4 plate. Was going to flog it and put a NI plate but have decided to leave it for now. For some reason, I don't like car related plates...

clinchy993 said:
I thought about putting on the 964 but the current plate ends PTO = Porsche Tony

Surely that should be Toni :?:

I can hear it now ..... "I've always thought that owning a private plate is like making love to a beautiful woman ...........

I.Must admit I.have contemplated putting mine back on its original P plate but I too have mobbed it from car to car. I don't really like car specific plates but have BMW 23M on my BMW Z3M which I could not resist

I have L44KTN which both hides the age and also personalises it to pretty much read my surname which most of you should be able to work out.

Goose said:
Rialas said:

:?:

I could put the car onto it's original plate and change my name by deed pole. :?: :thumb:

..... is that South or North Pole ...... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back