Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How do I get iphone working with OEM headunit?

Hoggy

Hi guys, what's the best way to be able to use my iphone for playing music through the standard headunit. My car is a 2002 996 turbo. It has a cd changer but it would be a lot easier if I could use the phone.

Any help and advice would be great.

Bellkin Bluetooth fm transmitter - installed one in mine works well - it's hand free kit also so when you make a call it runs thru the car speakers..

If you want a simple lead to use then it is not possible - FM transmitter as already mentioned plus a couple of far more expensive options (Mobridge being one of them).

I have a mobridge unit in my my 2004 turbo. Sound quality is great, operation is archaic. If I don't drive the car for a long time I have to figure it out all over again. I still prefer it to a transmitter which I use in other cars. A complete pita imo.

MC

Just get an iPhone compatible head unit? Mine connects as soon as i start the car and streams music, handsfree etc. Keep the OEM one for when you sell it.

It's plug and play with a 2002 turbo.

if you find the leads for the cd changer at the front and plug in a rca to small jack plug and feed it through the bulkhead you can get music direct from your iphone (but you loose the cd changer)

Is it straight forward to swap the unit for an aftermarket one? I'd read something somewhere saying it was a bit of a nightmare. But now I think about it that may have been on slightly newer cars.....

If that's the case I have a stereo lying doing nothing that can go in.

It's the PCM2 with MOST fibre optics that is a PITA yours should be pcm1 so probably just need an ISO harness to connect a new HU in

I've just ordered a Belkin Tunecast FM transmitter from Ebay, has yet to arrive, will let you know how I get on but it seemed to have good reviews. Was only £15 incl. P&P so seemed a cheap way for an immediate solution, if not impressed then I'll probably go for one of the options that plug into the CD changer socket, although would prefer not to have wires or boxes dangling around the footwells. Don't really want to swap out the original unit unless someone can recommend one that doesn't look like it belongs in a teenager's jacked up Nova.

monty said:
It's the PCM2 with MOST fibre optics that is a PITA yours should be pcm1 so probably just need an ISO harness to connect a new HU in

That'd be ideal. I'll need to check which one I have.

Thanks!

Hoggy said:
monty said:

Thanks!

If it's got a tape deck it's pcm1

monty said:
Hoggy said:
monty said:

Thanks!

If it's got a tape deck it's pcm1

That it does. Makes life a little easier then. Now to go shopping for an ISO harness and a facia adapter. Thanks again Monty

Mine is a 2004 so I take it that it will be MOST? What are my options?

Mikhailichenko said:

1) live with it as is
2) replace it with new hu but I think you'll need to replace wiring, sub woofer etc. (others who've actually done this will be able to comment or do a search)
3) integrate it via something like mobridge

monty said:
Mikhailichenko said:

1) live with it as is
2) replace it with new hu but I think you'll need to replace wiring, sub woofer etc. (others who've actually done this will be able to comment or do a search)
3) integrate it via something like mobridge

Thanks Monty.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back