Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Inside of exhausts??

Should I clean the inside of my exhaust?

• Yes - now that's attention to detail!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - are you insane?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nastymatt

Imola
As my sig says I have a 996 turbo with oval exhaust tips. So the dilemma I have is - should I clean inside the oval?

I have seen this done and I am not sure if it's stunning attention to detail or borderline insane! One issue I can see is that with the oval clean you will see that the exhaust "hole" is smaller than the oval.

Should I clean it or keep it black so the oval surround clean makes it look larger (if that makes sense!!). God help me if the Mrs caught me cleaning inside the exhaust.. I reckon it would be better to get caught with a stripper.

Well the voices I my head were nagging away at me so I had to do this! Once I had given it some thought the seed had been planted. here are some before and after photos... unfortunately I only had my iPhone with me that has a knackered camera in it so not the best after photos.

Just for the record.. this took hours!!!! Clearly no one was mad enough to ever do it before so it was 12 years of build up on it... I must admit once I had finished the first exhaust and was staring at the second one I had wished I hadn't started...

I think it does look better tho.. I feel the clean exhaust tip "fills" the pu cut away better...

Before (an old photo):

With iPhone just before doing the work:

A bit closer:

And after:

A more "filled/detailed" looked IMO:

I managed to avoid the dream crusher finding out what I was doing :thumbs:

Yeah.... I think that's black paint you've rubbed off.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think they came from the factory painted black to make the whole exhaust aperture look bigger than it actually is.....

You must be very good at rubbing with your dominant hand though! :grin:

ragpicker said:
You must be very good at rubbing with your dominant hand though! :grin:

You wouldn't want to arm wrestle me right handed!!

What did you use to clean the shite off then? :?:

I'm also interested to know what you cleaned them with as I was going to do the same thing to my C4s exhaust tips but came to the conclusion that others have posted that they probably came black from the off. I therefore went the other way and painted the inside a shiny black thinking that it would enhance the outer even more. I wish I hadn't bothered, no real difference.
On my last car (a 955 Cayenne) I embarked on a similar thing where I hand polished the entire back box (they are bloody huge) with wire wool, AutoSol and then a combination of Meguires Metal Polysh (stupid way to spell polish!) and Autoglym's Metal Polish. The result was fantastic and it only took a quick wipe over every time the car was washed to keep the mirror finish. It did take 4 hours of constant polishing on my back and did give me a very sore right shoulder which is always an interesting thing to explain to the wife. 😊

(2 posts in 1 night after almost 2 years of lurking! This is getting addictive.)

Great to see that I've found where Crimp is now posting. I always used to enjoy your posts on 'The other site'.

Bu99er me, I'm up to 3 posts now!

I used Autosol, wire wool and a dremel (with a polishing head on it), I did use some duraglit (I think that's the name) but I don't think that did anything.

The autosol and wire wool did well and then a real polish with the dremel. In fact the dremel was so good it came up too shiny ie shinier than the outside!!! I did watch some online videos of how to do it but I can only assume they were newish exhausts or had been cleaned regularly as they made it look easy.

Its a LOT of elbow grease, I reckon taking them off and soaking them in something might help (if the nuts aren't rusted). I wouldn't worry about being too precious over how you clean them as mine were slightly pitted obviously where the carbon had built up over the years.. plus.. it is the inside of an exhaust!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back