Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RSS Engine mounts on a daily driver

thebig25

Nurburgring
I'm just doing a suspension refresh on my 996TT and I want to do the mounts at the same time as I can feel the engine wagging about a bit, and on inspection the mounts are sagging a little.

I'm considering the RSS/WEVO mounts as all reports I've read say that they make car feel more connected and minimise weight shift over the standard ones- sounds like a good little upgrade for very lttle money

The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is wondering whether the noise and vibration will be excessive on a daily driver car. Don't mind some increase in noise as the car is actually a bit too quiet, but excessive vibration would annoy after a while.

Can anyone share real world experience of living with these mounts?

No experience with the RSS or WEVO but I swapped mine for the Porsche RS mounts earlier this year. A few people were concerned that this would induce noise and vibration just as you post concern about. The reality for me was that clearly my originals were goosed and the replacements tightened the whole feel of the car up.

Would I have gone for RSS or WEVO? - I didn't but I am glad I went for the RS mounts.

Put them on mine. Drove it everyday. Would never go back to non RSS mounts. Make a real difference containing the weight movement at the back, tighter handling. No question, get them. Bargain mods IMO.

If you have a stock exhaust it should be fine.
With sport exhaust the sound can change and create drone and tiny vibrations.

Thanks for that :thumb:

I think I can live with that- I think I'll be calling Ken at 9E tomorrow.

Worst comes to worst I can Ebay them if I can't cope with it.

thebig25 said:

I'll have them off you when you can't cope with them.....

I'm considerate like that :whistle:

ragpicker said:
thebig25 said:

I'll have them off you when you can't cope with them.....

I'm considerate like that :whistle:

You're a good man, sir. Don't let anyone tell you differently. :hand:

quattrosteph said:
If you have a stock exhaust it should be fine.
With sport exhaust the sound can change and create drone and tiny vibrations.

Is that all sports exhausts/ engines mounts or just some?

It was just with my exhaust speedtech. For some reason it did make the sound unberable in the cabin......It did make a bit if a difference, a bit less movements from the engine.
I think with a stock exhaust it's a great mod.

I run the RSS mounts on my Targa with no issues or noticeable extra squeaks or rattles. They are a BIG improvement over the stock items (mine were well passed their best!) from an engine movement perspective.

I run Dansk sports silencers too and there is no discernible increase in cabin noise with the RSS mounts in place.

A great upgrade, decent value and makes a noticeable difference IMHO.

quattrosteph said:
It was just with my exhaust speedtech. For some reason it did make the sound unberable in the cabin......It did make a bit if a difference, a bit less movements from the engine.
I think with a stock exhaust it's a great mod.

hmm thats one of the exhausts ive got my eye on, are RSS mounts solid and if so do you think semi solid mounts would create less/no vibration/drone.

When they are very first fitted they can transmit quite a lot of the exhaust sound to the cabin. It is akin to having a Sports exhaust from inside the car! But this soon fades, typically after about 1000 miles.

The difference in handling on a turbo is quite staggering, as the extra weight of the turbos adds a lot more rear end movement under brisk driving conditions. Having fitted mine about a year ago, there is no chance of me returning them to standard until I sell the car.

For reference, mine has a stock exhaust.

I intend to do the engine mounts on my C2 next month.
I was gong to fit new standard ones but after checking prices on Design 911 I may fit the RSS.
The RSS are £265 the pair. The standard mounts £121 each :eek:
With the prices that close I cannot see the point in not fitting RSS.
Unless the noise in the cabin is really severe :?:

My experience matches dynomike exactly.

I spoke to Design 911 today to check on the status of my RSS Engine mount order. Not good news I am afraid :sad:
The company that manufactures/supplies the mounts in the USA are in a mess and the company is at the moment being run by a management team. This is having an effect on production and at the moment no RSS mounts are being produced!
Design 911 have sent people over to see what is being done but looks like it may be as long as a month or two until we see delivery of the mounts. As Design 911 are the only UK suppliers it means sitting and waiting or get my money back and think of another option.
My car is booked into Center Gravity in October and the fitting of the RSS mounts would have completed the package.
Back to the drawing board :dont know:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back