Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How embarrassing is that!

markg59

Eldest daughter was taking a flight from Manchester Airport and wanted to be there for around 07:30; I agreed to drive her from Newcastle and said we'd take the 911, give it a good run out. Left home at about 04:30, nice run down the A19, M1, M62.

Hit a bank of dense fog as we drove up over Saddleworth Moore, slowing down when the ABS warning light flashed on together with the rather alarming "beep beep" indicating a fault (is that not a scary sound at 60mph!). Breaks work, everything seems ok, lets keep going. But what's this, no lights - no dash lights, no headlights, nothing. In fog! Fortunately its "go faster" red so its pretty visible. Descend the other side and come out of the fog - phew.

Tun off the M62 onto the M60, about 25miles from the Airport and there is that dreaded loss of power and we coast into the hard-shoulder. WTF now! Completely dead - zip; the hazards work for about 15 mins before they give up.

To keep it short - panic phone call to a local Taxi company to take the eldest to the airport & a 90 minute wait for the breakdown truck for me. Carted back to the main depot for a much needed coffee & swap to a smaller van for the journey back to Newcastle.

Must say the recovery guys (Manchester Breakdown Services) were pretty good, probably helped by what looked like a part restored 3.2 Turbo at the back of one of the garages (REG: xxx 911S!). Apparently it belonged to the boss.

Speculation is either its a dead battery (seems unlikely) or the alternator (maybe) or something worse... Hope to get some answers tomorrow.

Oh but the embarrassment of having to be taken home on a trailer!

:sad:

Attachments

• breakdown_1_145.jpg
    breakdown_1_145.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 3,374
25 years old and Guards Red - breaking down every now and then is acceptable. 8)

Possibly corroded live cable to the starter motor and its come off touching now and again, I had it on mine and it cause similar havoc :thumb:

Or could be the battery earth :wink:

I'd go with the earth cable. No embarrassment in an old car breaking down. I think people expect it...

MC

Yeah to be fair its been faultless over the last couple of years - trip down to Nottingham, numerous commutes to Edinburgh, all weathers, etc. I guess it was the added pressure of having to get to the Airport for a flight.

Fingers crossed it is as simple as broken/corroded cable.

Cheers,

Mark

Did you try the simple DME relay replacement?

Nightmare ! ... Your daughter made the flight at least Mark , hope its not mega bucks .

Keith

Think of the positives Mark - you only paid for fuel one way!!!!

Hope you get sorted soon.

Thomas

Ghengis said:
Think of the positives Mark - you only paid for fuel one way!!!!

True, but then there was the cost of the Taxi - £40+!

The problem was indeed the alternator, new one fitted and I'm a happy bunny :thumbs:

Cheers,

Mark

Good news, glad you are back on the road :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back