Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991C2S with a sprts exhaust sounds better then my 997TT why?

BingB

Monza
Stood outside work and a 991 C2S with what sounded like a sports exhaust when past, and it sounded awesome compared to my 997TT who can't mine sound like that without invalidating the warranty, what was Porsche's reason for not offering PSE on a turbo. I don't expect these cars to sound like a Ferrari 355 or a TVR sagaris but hey come on!!!!

Re: 991C2S with a sprts exhaust sounds better then my 997TT

BingB said:
mine sound like that without invalidating the warranty
No. If you want noise buy a normally aspirated. The 9x1 have other acoustics complementing their sound as per the fashion at the moment.
BingB said:
what was Porsche's reason for not offering PSE on a turbo.
The VTG require high flow outwardly through the exhaust system coupled with the heat from the catalytic converters for optimal boost.

Noise can be increased by reducing the number of catalytic cells, however, for type approval and emissions purposes the 997 Turbo was designed as it is.

If you search here there are a number of threads regarding noisier exhaust systems for the Turbo such as Milltek, Cargraphic and TechArt amongst many others.

Turbo cars will never sound as pure or as good as an NA car. Imagine taking a musical instrument, cutting out a section and inserting a wheel which uses the air passing. That's basically what happens. The exhaust piping system is the instrument and the air is the exhaust fume flow. The turbo interrupts the process.

I have a 997tt and hated the near silent experience. Put in an FVD Brombacher and its much better. Never sounds as good as my 996 C2 with sports exhaust did though.

To me , it's a simple fact ...the turbo uses the exhaust gases , normally wasted in the N/ A engined cars and uses the energy to spool the turbo to supply more charge air to the engine (simplified) so utilising 'waste' energy to produce more power from the engine ....... I see no downside !

I don't see the point in interfering with the standard set up , get it wrong and it's a costly business...
There have been threads on here with guys taking hole cutters to their exhaust pie work , only to find out it is unbearable at certain speeds .....Porsche spend countless hours testing these cars and optimising them ... Why not just enjoy the Turbo for what it does best ... Blitzes everything in its wake .....

I must admit my GT3 sounded fantastic , but the Turbo grunt more than makes up for that , and the Turbo gas it's own 'signature ' tune if driven spiritedly!!

T

Every other Turbo in the Porsche line-up has PSE as an option......

~ Maxie :nooo:

Yep the sheer power the turbo is incredible, I have no ideas what I'd swap it for.

BingB said:
Yep the sheer power the turbo is incredible, I have no ideas what I'd swap it for.
This? :dont know:

7427_The_Tardis_is_a_time_machin_881.jpg

Or perhaps this:

enterprise-warp-speed-520x325.jpg

Martian said:
You can make a Turbo sound good, mine has a Capristo. It's not a PSE, but does sound a lot better than the stock system.

It certainly does :worship:

BingB said:
I was looking at may be one of these:

Falcon_NEGVV.jpg
But that one is constantly broken, more reflecting a normally aspirated 997.1. :nooo:

RJKflyer said:
Not that keen on the council house wok on the roof though...

:floor:

The scene where Lando and Chewie are trying to escape from the bowels of the Deathstar was very reminiscent of my last trip to Switzerland :starwars:

On a more serious note, I'm afraid you just have to 'get with' the different sound.

I had an RS4, which always sounded brilliant, especially with the exhaust box valve fixed open.

However, the TT is faster than almost literally almost everything else in all most all conditions, so a little shortage in the sound dept is more than tolerable..

Any misgivings I might have had about sound were thwarted by:
(A) the missus saying that when I overtook her the other day, it sounded like 'one of those super are at Goodwood' (point being it sounds a lot better outside at full chat than you think...)
(b) 15 laps at Silverstone GP circuit when you find out what you've actually bought...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back