Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Decisions, Decisions!!

symoonbeam

Monza
A little while back I had an issue with a huge stone chip on the bonnet, and as a temporary measure had a Carbon Fibre wrap put on the bonnet before thinking about re sprays etc.
Initially I didn't think I would like the CF bonnet, but over the past weeks it has grown on me, to the point where I am considering a real Carbon fibre bonnet.

I can either buy ready made, or do a skin of CF on the original, or a replacement bonnet (may be the best option as cheaper, and keeps the option of returning to original). I am not concerned with weight saving, this is a purely aesthetic decision.

Now the hard part - the CF wrap is obviously a matt finish, and that is what I have got used to looking at, but to me the beauty of CF lies in the depth and shine of a perfect gloss finish that shows off the fabric, and fits with the shine of the rest of the paintwork. I have also heard that matt CF is more difficult to care for and keep it looking good.

I would appreciate thoughts from anyone here, in particular those with experience of CF bonnets - Matt or gloss? - stick with the original :dont know:
cheers

Attachments

• cf_bonnet_476.jpg
    cf_bonnet_476.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 3,420
If i was to make a choice it would be a semi gloss, but I would avoid the whole look - Leeds taxi's have black bonnets and it seems to be de-regour with the chav community of Corsa's, Clio's etc.

You did ask............

No probs Chris!! Like I said, I am not really convinced yet either - especially by the matt finish.
I am still leaning very much towards original......but then again deep gloss CF anything is a thing of beauty as long as it's not overdone.. :hand:

Don't think there are too many taxis,Clios or Corsas with genuine CF bonnets :D

symoonbeam said:
Don't think there are too many taxis,Clios or Corsas with genuine CF bonnets :D

Indeed mate - which I why I would avoid it like the plague since most people do not know the difference!.

Original for me.
To my eye it looks kind of odd. No offence mean't.
:thumb:

Sadly I have to agree with the majority here. Paint it original. :thumb:

Anyone know of any good paint shops in the Inverness / Nairn area ?
I'm struggling to find any good recommendations at the moment!!

symoonbeam said:
Anyone know of any good paint shops in the Inverness / Nairn area ?
I'm struggling to find any good recommendations at the moment!!

No recommendation in Inverness or Nairn , but I can recommend Kinghorn bodyshop in Blackburn , near Aberdeen.

I am based in Inverness , but use them for bits like colour coding my front splitter .....
Absolutely great standard of work, bit pricey but it's the best I've seen around the North...these are Porsches after all , they deserve nothing but the best ......
T

911Tel - thanks for that. :thumb:

MarkGolf said:
If the car was a serious track monster with carbon side vents, spoiler and so on (GT2RS-esque), I'd say go with a carbon bonnet but the car looks OE so I'd go with the original look..
Go on, go fully carbon fibre AND then you justify track days as it protects from track debris. :thumbs:

Please don't tell the OH that I encouraged or condoned it in any way. :nooo:

Wrap the whole car in matt black :dont know:

No...Stick with original please :thumb:

IMHO wrapping is a bit old hat now ....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back