Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Back tires wear 996 Turbo

melodasi

Trainee
HI,

I install a new set of tires in my car in April 2013, right now the rear ones look have 1mm left, is this normal?
II have probably drove the about 10000 KLm max during this period. and also I have not notice any problems on handling the car.

Tyres

Yes turbos like to eat rear tyres.

I've gone through 3 sets of rears in less than 2 years all depends how you drive but so long as the tyre wear is even its normal, I've had bridgestones(hated them very had ride but lasted the longest) , Pirellis (looked the best and gave nice ride) now currently on michelins which give the nicest ride but seem quite soft so probably won't last long.

They wear evenly, so I think it is ok. I am not really I fast drive, but as I live close to Germany and I really enjoy riding on a autobahn maybe this is this reason.
I am using Falken Azenis FK453 I like them, I felt more smooth ride than the bridgstones I had before.

It is about right. Turbo's eat tyres at the rear. Lots of power , torque and technology going through them !! And big engine hanging right at the back too !
I would switch to something else, Michelin PS2 are really good for the Turbo. Continentals last a while but grip is not as good .
They will eat more in wet/damp weather.
Front last much longer but tend to wear more on the inside.

yup, third set on mine and done 24k miles

apparently, if you don't drive it like a turbo they last a tad longer...... (Another piece of useless information I picked up somewhere)....

:floor:

Around 9k - 10k is normal for a 996 turbo set of rears. Frints last much longer.

But I have one comment - tyre wear is not even on a turbo! They wear more on inner edge than in middle or outer edge. This is because of the negative camber that they are (should) be set up with. Mine at the moment after 10k miles are 4mm inner/5mm centre and 5mm outer and is perfectly normal - I had the geomemtry done in Aug 2012 and again in October 2013 when I replaced the rear Bilstein shock absorbers.

So I'd suggest that you have a geometry check carried out in any case.

Mine have done 8k and the inside edges are down to 2.5mm,, outside 4.5mm.

Rear wear a bit more on inside but it is not huge compare to other make of cars.
again it depend on driving style too.

Rear wear a bit more on inside but it is not huge compare to other make of cars.

quattrosteph said:

Surely it depends on how hard/ how many corners you take?

More about style - how much power and torque you put through the 4 wheel drive, how quickly you stamp on brakes as opposed to slowing down by anticipating corners and taking the foot off the gas for natural deceleration as opposed to scrubbing the rubber with sharp braking.

Sustained high speed driving will scrub tyres - they get hot and leave rubber behind on the tarmac. I alwaus found Pirelli soft compound - good grip becasue it they run hot and sticky but obviously wear quicker.

My wear pattern tells you I am fairly gentle on my car after 10k miles of driving to have the depth I have on the inner edge.

I always seem to get a puncture long before they wear out :sad:

cheshire911 said:
More about style - how much power and torque you put through the 4 wheel drive, how quickly you stamp on brakes as opposed to slowing down by anticipating corners and taking the foot off the gas for natural deceleration as opposed to scrubbing the rubber with sharp braking.

Sustained high speed driving will scrub tyres - they get hot and leave rubber behind on the tarmac. I alwaus found Pirelli soft compound - good grip becasue it they run hot and sticky but obviously wear quicker.

My wear pattern tells you I am fairly gentle on my car after 10k miles of driving to have the depth I have on the inner edge.

My wear pattern (less tread left after 8k miles) tells you that I've had a lot of fun in mine. Airfield runs to 170 mph, autobahn cruising and three track days does take its toll but, for me, the extra :grin:'s outweigh the extra £'s it costs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back