Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A long trip leading to a fond farewell and 'For Sale'

clarkycat

Estoril
What a week!
:D

Got the 993 serviced in March and had not used it since, so...

DSC08074_zpsbbe1414f.jpg

Last Sunday morning I embarked on the longest drive of my life, got the hell outta France asap and I took the 993 to Berlin, 800 miles and only about 4 miles of roadworks, oh how I missed cruising at three figures without looking at camera detectors, bridges and coppers, it was a hard drive staying alert for so long but one of the best of my life and a real adventure.

The day I drove my Porsche to Berlin and got there in time to get to a pub and watch Germany win the world cup. Took very few photo's this time...

Went to that big tower...

DSC08178_zpsd5c09ff6.jpg

Ace view, presumably the French Embassy...

DSC08202_zps27c95b09.jpg

That domey building...

DSC08238_zps0e3f2449.jpg

DSC08256_zpsf8058e15.jpg

DSC08243_zps2a4dfaf4.jpg

Found a beergarden...

DSC08316_zps011d5d95.jpg

DSC08320_zps45a783b9.jpg

I had a bad night after much beer and sausage so Vicki drove to Prague...
:oops:

DSC08325_zps9ecc94d5.jpg

A pregnant lady driving out of Berlin city center, firing a 993 down the autobahns and into a very busy central Prague, listen up you 'men' who say the 993's are too heavy to be daily drivers! We had beeps and waves as we drove in, really nice. Our hotel had secure parking and Prague was lovely but in honesty too hot and too busy. We always holiday March or Oct/Nov time, it's the first holiday I have had in July since I was little. I'll come back to Prague but for a winter break, it is lovely. We were unaware you need to buy a toll permit for your window, make sure you don't miss the booths on the motorway on the way in!

Saw a bridge...

DSC08340_zps4c8ac192.jpg

The Brazil goalkeeper...

DSC08354_zpse10f200b.jpg

And the inventor of the helicopter, and his son...

DSC08359_zps8296453d.jpg

Off to Bruges then, a 9700km run and some more good stints on the autobahn. Checked and 1300 miles and the car needed a top up of about 1/4l of oil, not bad when you think we were seeing near 30 degrees everywhere and were nearly always over 100mph. The working Aircon MADE this holiday! Saw a really nasty crash just in front of us on the Autobahn, must have been bad as I had to steer round a suspension spring, hope everyone was alright, they looked to be all out and walking around with people helping them...

We had been to Bruges before so took no photo's, but I snapped this before we got in the car to leave this morning...

DSC08075_zpsc0276086.jpg

And that's it!
:thumbs:

Nope it really is. I'll be selling the car now.
:eek:

I just don't use it, it's only any use to me at weekends. I have a work van, she has a work car, Sure it's great to have but it goes months without use as there is simply other things I'd rather (or have to) do. A sunny Sunday, if I have time, now sees me out on my bike every time, as I enjoy that more. I have two days a week, have to spend time with my Parents more and now have a baby on the way.
:thumb:

I simply do not need (or want) to have to run or own a car of this value and standard and have it sat on a charger for months, it is a responsibility I want to free myself from and end on a high. For some time now I have been taxing, insuring, MOTing, Servicing, all to do about 1000 miles a year PLUS the knowledge I have a commitment to keep up with maitenance...

I like an easy life and cannot put into words how not having to do that will be a weight off my shoulders.

So last years sprint into Germany was a possible 'use it' last outing, and last weeks trip was the cars 'thank you'.

Taken today after washing off a million flies (well, whatever flies are called in the 6 countries we drove through!).

DSC08110_zpsa768c4e0.jpg

I told Kimbo and Z before I went that I would be selling, it's not a 'mint' show and shine car, it needs some front end paint for chips, but it's a C2 Manual Coupe you could jump in right now and drive into Europe for thousands of miles without checking anything - it's what a usable 911 should be IMHO. I just hope someone takes her back to the Autobahns soon as getting back to England and it's cameras was so depressing for us and the car...

It is and has been great to own.
8)

Only got back today, will be busy all week at work, will sort out some kind of ad/sales effort soon, am not in a hurry as after months of being sat in the garage it's still going to be good, they always are.

No tears.
:D

CC, I don't think Ferry could have put it better himself.

However things turn out I hope it works for you. Should this mean that, subject to a sale, you will no longer be on the forum then I wish you and Vicky all the best.
Whether or not opinion is divided with some of your posts I never find them not funny or amusing in some way.

Congratulations on impending parenthood, oh, and selling me the watch!

Lovely write up Clarky and sad to see her go......but onto new pastures of parenthood :thumb:

Superb photo captions CC :floor:

It pangs for a short while but swapping a car for a child is something many of us have to do. I did it in 1987 (a 924 for my son) and he's just had to do the same (Brera Spider for his son).

Cherish the memories and photos you have and, when it's time to return to the fold, at least you'll know which 'kettle' to go for.

Cheers guys.
:)

As I said, have been thinking about this for some time and before 'baby news'. The 993 has risen in Value and my use of it has gone down, by choice though.

Am lucky enough to live where I grew up, a 5 mile radius has most of my school friends, so my social life already involves kids being everywhere! My mum and dad are a five minute walk, the pub the same, cinema, shops, and in two minutes I'm out into the Cotswolds on my bike.

I can't justify the 993 to myself, owning IS a commitment. And something I use ten times a year with the possibility to need a clutch (Holiday), a set of tyres (two months shopping), an MOT and service (eating out at weekends), Insurance (weekend away)...

:hand:

Nah!

I'll work overtime for the baby if required, but not a car.

A great trip. Couple of places I need to spend more time in but agree better in winter.

Have you told JH you're selling? He may be interested in the spoiler :grin:

Shame Clarky C but it sounds like you have more useful ways of spending your crunchy money now

I'd love to be in a position to buy yours, seems a nice honest car unlike some of these 993 garage queens you hear about

Good luck with the wee one

freddie44 said:
I'd love to be in a position to buy yours, seems a nice honest car unlike some of these 993 garage queens you hear about

Indeed and used as intended :thumb: Same reason I sold my 993 - lack of use as the inclement weather/additional mileage/condition predetermined every drive. :nooo:

Zingari said:
freddie44 said:

Indeed and used as intended :thumb: Same reason I sold my 993 - lack of use as the inclement weather/additional mileage/condition predetermined every drive. :nooo:

...and your 964 Z? How many miles do you do in that each year and how often do you drive it? Apologies for hijack but someone was surprised this weekend when i told him i had done about 2k in the past 9 months with it largely laid up over winter. The 'someone' thought that was a lot...

Big Joe - I made the fatal mistake of buying a model that everybody wants however I do use the car all year round and have the annual Spa trip under its belt. Each to their own I suppose but I fell into the trap of getting hung up with a low mileage example whereas this time it's not relevant :roll: plus having the time limits it's use that I think 3k pa is low but to others it's high :?

Zingari said:
Big Joe - I made the fatal mistake of buying a model that everybody wants however I do use the car all year round and have the annual Spa trip under its belt. Each to their own I suppose but I fell into the trap of getting hung up with a low mileage example whereas this time it's not relevant :roll: plus having the time limits it's use that I think 3k pa is low but to others it's high :?

Makes sense. there is such a tricky balance to be had (at least in my head) between 'enjoying' it by 'driving' it and by 'caring for' it. i enjoy both and choose to drive it as oft as time permits (first hurdle) so long as its care is not compromised (second hurdle). 3k/pa is about where i am at too with use 2-3 times per week in fine weather.

Zingari said:

:floor:

pzero said:
Zingari said:

:floor:

:floor: +1

The car will be sold with two complete engine lids, the winged one and the original electric one and all struts. New owner can choose to swap them over or sell one or the other...

Not intending to make this a teaser sale ad, when I get time to properly picture, and put some form of info together I'll say. :)

On watching the miles, mine had 130,000 on it last sunday. Now it has about 131800. That is the beauty of higher mileage, that 1800 miles and me being able to state it's ability to do that, alters it's value by how much?

:)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back