Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GoPro mounting

bryce

Spa-Francorchamps
Lads

Going to treat myself to a GoPro and Im wondering what mount is best suited for my needs:

Recording in the GT3 - I have carbon buckets but no cage
Recording in other cars - buckets / no buckets / no cage etc
Recording on motorcycle

Cheers

Without a cage to attach to you will struggle to get an inside the car to outside view, at least with a mount that would get allowed on a circuit.

However if you just want a good view through the screen then the go pro self adhesive mount inside the screen close to the rear view mirror works really well.

I don't tend to use mine inside the windscreen any more, the footage tends to be a bit 'boring' there's no sensation of speed.

I've since stuck a mount underneath my numberplate in the intake for the 3rd rad.
Nice and low to the ground, you get a cracking sensation of speed.

If you want, I'll record some footage tomorrow and upload it to youtube and you can see a comparison.

Touji said:
I don't tend to use mine inside the windscreen any more, the footage tends to be a bit 'boring' there's no sensation of speed.

I've since stuck a mount underneath my numberplate in the intake for the 3rd rad.

If you want, I'll record some footage tomorrow and upload it to youtube and you can see a comparison.
Yes please.

I'd be interested in details of how you've mounted it too. :thumbs:

Yes please. Pics of mounting set up too please. And do you run a mic somewhere so it's not just wind noise you've got?

Touji said:

Cracking idea that, would also be interested in seeing the footage and mounting set up. Assume it's just the suction cup you've used?

I haven't been brave enough to mount mine outside the car for fear of it falling off - I would suggest some kind of tether as extra security if possible...

chimp911 said:
I haven't been brave enough to mount mine outside the car for fear of it falling off - I would suggest some kind of tether as extra security if possible...

I was too tight to buy a go-pro so picked up one of these instead...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-Ex...?ie=UTF8&qid=1405930625&sr=8-1&keywords=Xs100

...full HD and can't see any difference between that and a go-pro. For the money, if it has a trip down the road not the end of the world as long as it doesn't clatter into the car along the way. If I had a go-pro though, would also be a bit nervous!

Tony ....... (Clinchy) is very much up to speed on mountings for the Go-Pro ...... on his 993 he mounts his on the front towing hook ....... works well.

madalaa said:
Tony ....... (Clinchy) is very much up to speed on mountings for the Go-Pro ...... on his 993 he mounts his on the front towing hook ....... works well.

i.e

Discovered my GoPro hates the new 64GB card I used this morning, I'll nab a 32 and do a little run down to Brighton this evening.

Touji said:
Discovered my GoPro hates the new 64GB card I used this morning, I'll nab a 32 and do a little run down to Brighton this evening.

I discovered something very similar myself - It would accept a 64gb card and happily record on it, but only up to 32gb before spitting its dummy out... :pc:

clinchy993 said:

I have one of these. a note though - on the 997 the tow loop cants out a couple of degrees, so you need to put a couple of the short arms in so that you can straighten up the angle to point dead ahead. With everything locked off tightly there is no danger of that parting company with the car either.

Other options... The RAM mount system offers a GoPro adaptor as well as pretty much everything else (phones and so on) and has options at the other end for literally anything that you can suction cup, stick with bonding tape or screw something to.

Another option is to use something to clamp it to your seat (GoPro and others produce an ever expanding range of clamps). Note that you want to clamp it to your seat and not an unoccupied passenger seat (your weight in the seat damps out vibrations that would otherwise affect the picture). Depending upon the clamp you might wand to use something to protect the seat with (depending upon application anything from electrical or duct tape through to packing material might be what you want for that).

I can't remember from where, but someone makes an extendible bar with triple suction mounts at each end. That across the quarter windows behind your seats would open up all of the roll cage mounting options. At least one of the major TDOs has tested it and found it to be acceptable to them (think it was GoldTrack but not positive on that part).

GoPro adhesive mount on your crash helmet can give interesting footage. Since the launch of their music edition there are easy to remove options too (but not curved so you will need to find the flattest possible part of your lid to try those).

Oh - final thought if you are into pulling stuff apart. Someone I know installed a number of neodymium magnets beneath the surface of some trim on their car and a corresponding set on the base of their sat nav. Over-engineered as far as solutions go, but that would work if you wanted something absurdly strong but not cosmetically visible when not in use. Just don't put anything with a hard drive remotely near it... :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back