Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Any advice? 997.2 cab, first Porsche, first fast car!

SockToy

Monza
So, for various reasons I am suddenly considering a nice car. I can really only afford up to 42. This seems to put me square in the 2009 c4s/c2s with mid 40k milage territory.

The only alternative would seem to be a 2012 987 boxster... and ... why would I do that? ;-p

Anything I should look out for in particular? Good forums or FAQs to read up on? Obviously I've found 911uk, and am browsing 911 virgins too.. .but I really know nothing. Right now just scouring pistonheads for used examples.

Spec wise, I'm looking for PDK, PASM, Sport Chrono as absolute requirements with PCM/Bluetooth and Bose as nice value add.

Oh... and yes. It's my first car that's about more than A to B. I currently drive a Nissan Primera from 1998... so I've booked some advanced driver courses too ;-p

Eek!

Thanks, and apologies if I should have asked somewhere else

SockToy said:
So, for various reasons I am suddenly considering a nice car. I can really only afford up to 42. This seems to put me square in the 2009 c4s/c2s with mid 40k milage territory.
That sort of budget puts you in something with very high spec from an Independent, and lower mileage Private. From an OPC it will be very good spec with two years warranty.

'Average' mileage on a 911 is perceived to be closer to the 6K to 7K per annum mark. Mid-40K will be a little on the higher side than average so I would adjust your expectations on price a little. You should get more car for your money. :thumb:
SockToy said:
The only alternative would seem to be a 2012 987 boxster... and ... why would I do that? ;-p
With a little more it will put you in a new low spec 981 or less than one year old good spec. Which is an excellent car and not to be dismissed. Drive one.

You may also want to consider a 997 Turbo as again you're budget puts you square in the middle of good examples.
SockToy said:
Anything I should look out for in particular? Good forums or FAQs to read up on? Obviously I've found 911uk, and am browsing 911 virgins too.. .but I really know nothing. Right now just scouring pistonheads for used examples.
There are no significant faults with the 997.2, but at the mileage you are looking at I would still recommend a PPI and/or an OPC inspection. Just don't rush and buy the first one. Drive a few as the 997 has peculiarities such as clutch, gearshift and balance. When you've tried some, you'll learn what is and is not 'normal'.

As for things to look for suspension is shared through the 997.1 and 997.2 so delamination of control arm bushes or leaking steering racks can happen. Clutch, brakes and other consumables would need to be recently changed as they'll most likely be due.
SockToy said:
Spec wise, I'm looking for PDK, PASM, Sport Chrono as absolute requirements with PCM/Bluetooth and Bose as nice value add.
Good spec. Try and find one that has had the PCM3 update with Navigation. Or make it a condition of sale as I think the £149 offer ends at the end of July.
SockToy said:
Oh... and yes. It's my first car that's about more than A to B. I currently drive a Nissan Primera from 1998... so I've booked some advanced driver courses too ;-p
Good decision. I can recommend the Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone. If you buy from an OPC you may be able to blag a half-day experience with the sale. I've done three 90 minute sessions and they are well worth the money.
SockToy said:
Thanks, and apologies if I should have asked somewhere else
You've come to the right place. :welcome: to 911UK and I hope we'll see some pics of the car when you've made a purchase.

:welcome:

Some good advice there from Plavix.

Make sure you keep a couple of grand spare fore servicing and incidentals, and things you didn't know you 'needed' before you joined this forum.

Good luck.

Good advice these baby's cost lots to run be prepared for that ...

But worth it

SockToy said:
Anything I should look out for in particular? Good forums or FAQs to read up on? Obviously I've found 911uk, and am browsing 911 virgins too.. .but I really know nothing.

:welcome: to 911uk ST.

By now you've probably found the 997FAQ sub-sub-forum within this 997 sub-forum and will have gathered that you probably don't need to waste your time anywhere else. :grin:

When you see a car that takes your fancy, post up the details and you'll get plenty of feedback.

ps. My 'daily driver' is a Nissan Primera - a 1999 2.0 Estate auto. :cloud9:

Sigh. Of course, the computer locked up after I wrote up a long chatty reply. Good to see another Nissan driver. Of course, thats REALLY the car I'll aways love. Live Nissan, Live Strong! ... or... something. Anyway.

Thankyou for the warm welcome ;)

I have my eye on two 911's right now... what do you think they'd be reasonably priced at from an independent?

One is a ... well loved ... c4s, with an intriguing specification...
PDK, PCM, Chrono, Bose, Heated Seats,Park Assist, PASM, Xenon, Aircon ,Autodim, Folding, Sports Exhaust ... but 52k miles. Spec wise, adding some aftermarket paddles would bring it very close to what I'm after.

The other is a c2s with 49k, PDK, PCM, Chrono, Bose, Heated Seats, Park Assist, PASM, Xenon, Aircon, Heated Wheel, Paddles.

Lastly, there's another c4s - shorter legs at 42k, but smaller spec too... PDK, PCM, Chrono, Electric Seats, Park Assist, CC, LED, PASM, Xenon, Aircon. Im wondering if there's some error in that ad - seems crazy someone would specify a cab without heated seats.

Pity everything I see seems to be silver or black, with the occasional white. I'd very much prefer something interesting in blue or green, but even grey would be preferable!

I'm trying not to think about that though, because while I am in love with the Cab from the inside, the Coupe.. .from the outside... is just hard to beat. The roof makes the shape of the car. The Cab is a little fat bottomed. Just a bit. A teeny bit. ;p

I suppose I could get it wrapped, but...

As for a new 981 boxster... I've had a look, and they have a tremendously modern aesthetic, but they seem very robustly priced, even for a 2012 model, with extremely low spec. I've seen a 44k 981 with 18k miles and a lower spec than either of those cars, and a spectacularly low 3.5k milage 981 for 37.5... Pricing seems all over the map.

Actually that seems true for the 997's too. It's like there's a floor price, and regardless of spec they won't advertise for less than it. Typically, how much room is there for negotiation from say, Harbour or Portiacraft or one of the other big indies?

Cheers!

Hi again ST,

You seem to be pretty clued up as to the options that are important to you and those that are available so all I can suggest is that you stick to what YOU want and only compromise if everything else is too good to resist.

Your decision to go for an 'S' car will be generally applauded. 95% of the time you probably won't notice whether it's a '2' or 'a 4'.

Colour combinations are very personal and, although silvers and blacks are the most common, greys and blues seem to be the most liked by the average viewer. There's plenty out there so bide your time.

It's a bad time of year to be buying a Cab' as prices will be high. Coupe prices aren't seasonal so you'll probably get far more car for your money. Re discounts, good cars sell without dealers having to knock money off the asking price. The SoGA protection and warranty, especially on a c£40k car, give good peace of mind.

Re the Boxster thing. If you've ever fancied owning a 911 you'll never be happy until you've done it, so get it done first. :thumb:

SockToy said:
Why not a 981?

~ Maxie

I'm also a porsche newbie and bought my first car, a 2009 997.2 c4s cabrio, three months ago. I drove a boxster (nice) and a cayman (very nice) but there's something special about a 997 - the precision of the way it corners, stops and goes is a notch above the cheaper cars.

Definitely go for a PDK and sport chrono (I had sport mode retrofitted). But the Bose, especially on the cabrio, is a bit of a let-down. I wouldn't let this be a deal breaker.

The advice I would give is not to underestimate the running costs and make sure you budget for them or you'll be reticent to take out your new car, which spoils the point. First tax disc made me suck my teeth at £485, tyres for £1k which last 10k miles, 22mpg of 98 octane, and servicing. My friend just paid out £2.8k for discs, pads, major service and some other bits.

Other than this, just do it! I can't imagine why I didn't buy one years ago instead of the houses, wives, children and holidays that consumed my dosh in the past.

Maxie said:
SockToy said:
Why not a 981?

~ Maxie

That is ... a very good question. The only real thing I can say is I'm trying to ride the depreciation curve a little further along. They do look delicious though. As do the spyders.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back