Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4S short shift

saty-s

Trainee
Hi all,

Can any of you recommend a good Short shift kit for my 2004 C4S...?

Cheers

saty-s said:
Hi all,

Can any of you recommend a good Short shift kit for my 2004 C4S...?

Cheers

Dont, pick the standard 997 shifter, it's a bit shorter than standard 996...i had the short shifter and changed it for the standard 997...
I have the oem short shifter for sale if you want to bye? :grin:

Hey...

So you are saying don't go for an aftermarket one? Go for the OEM 997 shifter?

Cheers

Yes that was what I meant :lol:
But that is just my opinion. .. :thumbs:

I had a 997 SSK fitted by my indy after purcahsing my car as I did not like the stad shift on a 996 Turbo. He only advocated the genuine Porsche part (beginning with part number 997....) even though it is much dearer than any after market part (around £250 from OPC) + fitting.

So my advice woud be to go for the OPC 997 SSK

Go for OEM 997, I have heard the cheaper option can damage the linkages or so I have heard!

Whether you go for the OPC part or the OEM, just make sure that whoever fits it for you sets it all up properly. Like with other areas, it is the fitment that can make a difference.

Mine is absolutely perfect - the proverbial rifle-bolt action.

Some people complain that gear shifts when cold are notchy with a SSK and 2nd gear can be difficult on cold engagement. I have never had any such issues and can only assume this is a fitting-related issue.

You have a handful of options:

1. Non-OEM. No experience of one of those so can't comment.
2. Standard 997 shifter. I'm guessing it will be around 20% shorter than the stock 996. You should be able to pick up a used one for less than £100.
3. 997 GT3 shifter. Probably around 30% shorter than the stock 996. Used are rare, new is around £200.
4. 997 SSK shifter. Probably around 40% shorter than the stock 996. Used are rare, new are usually just less than £200.

I made an SSK install guide for the 997 when I installed the SSK. It's not difficult to fit. I have a spare 997 Standard shifter if you would like to try it you're welcome to borrow it for a week or so if you're local.

I have Option 4 in Plavix's post. It is absolutely superb! Supplied new from OPC Wilmslow and installed by Mike at Sports & Classic in Knutsford who really knows what he is doing with anything Porsche.

Highly recommended Option 4 - the proverbial rifle-bolt action in your left hand.

I have a non Porsche one - good action and feel and it has not changed in that respect over the 5k miles it has covered. I suspect proper fitting and adjustment is a key part of the situation.

Chris_in_the_UK said:
I have a non Porsche one - good action and feel and it has not changed in that respect over the 5k miles it has covered. I suspect proper fitting and adjustment is a key part of the situation.
+1.

For the OEM parts the locking bridge ensures 100% correct fitment.

Thank you everybody for your input...

After the 40% one I had in my last M3 I think option 4 above is the route I will go down..

Do you have a part number at all?

Cheers

Good choice. Buy from OPC and get an indy to do the fitting.
Part number begins 997. Well worth the £200 and genuine Porsche part, so you know it will be right and easy to install.

997 424 010 00 is Standard 997 Shifter which equates to about 10% reduction in shift on a 996.

997 424 010 91 is standard 997 (as above) but with billet aluminium bushes which are more precise and robust. (GT3 Shifter)

997 424 983 00 is SSK 997 which equates to about 25% reduction on a 996. (fair bit stiffer shifting action).

weebz said:
997 424 010 00 is Standard 997 Shifter which equates to about 10% reduction in shift on a 996.

997 424 010 91 is standard 997 (as above) but with billet aluminium bushes which are more precise and robust. (GT3 Shifter)

997 424 983 00 is SSK 997 which equates to about 25% reduction on a 996. (fair bit stiffer shifting action).
Thank you buddy..

997 424 983 00 is SSK 997 which equates to about 25% reduction on a 996. (fair bit stiffer shifting action)

^^ will be getting this one...

:thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back